New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: FYI: Bally 891-20 1 Coin Overpay Tip  (Read 747 times)

Offline essmeier

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • essmeier New User has no influence.
  • CTE
FYI: Bally 891-20 1 Coin Overpay Tip
« on: February 27, 2021, 02:34:37 PM »
I recently encountered the rather common "1 coin overpay" problem with my historically rather troublesome Bally 891-20 Super Continental.

"Not a problem," I thought.  "I've seen lots of threads about this at the NLG forum, so it's probably an easy fix."

Of course not.

Short version of the solution: If checking everything else doesn't fix it, check to see if the wipers are properly mounted to the spiral cam.

Also check to see if the 100 tooth gear or its shaft are cracked. (see below)

After realizing that everything was overpaying by one, I looked at every thread that I could find on this site about overpays in general and the "overpay by one" problem specifically.

I discovered that my rubber zero stop had disintegrated, so I replaced it.   Then I thought it would be a simple matter to adjust the stop so that the zero switch reset at zero and that the wipers were correctly adjusted so that they'd step off of the traces at the appropriate time.

I'd put a lead of my meter on the F on the payboard and the other on the 2, and manually advance the counter two steps.  It should have continuity at zero, and after the first step, and at the second step, the circuit should open.

That wasn't happening; the circuit wasn't opening until the third step.  So i lowered the rubber stop to move the stop point just enough so that the wiper would step off at the second advance of the counter.

To get it to do that, I had to lower the rubber stop so far down that the zero switch wouldn't ever open.

I put it aside for a couple of weeks and just gave it a rest.

This week, I looked at it with fresh eyes, still couldn't find anything wrong, and just decided to take the entire assembly apart and see what it looked like on the back side of the spiral cam.

And then I found the problem.

Unlike many Bally machines, this particular machine has a plastic spiral cam, rather than a metal one.  The wipers attach to the cam using two screws, and they're aligned by two plastic buttons or tabs on the cam that fit through two holes in the wiper arm.  You mount it so that he buttons go through the holes, and then you tighten the screws.

The problem, in my case, was that the lower button had broken off.  That's not a problem if the arm is properly aligned and if the screws are tight.  But if the screws should work just a little bit loose, it's possible to get some lateral movement in the wiper arm.

It doesn't take much to get it out of alignment just enough so that it won't quite step off the trace properly when advancing.

I could see where the button used to be and aligned it by sight.  I tightened the screws down and put a small dab of hot glue in the hole where the button used to be.  The machine started paying correctly.

Tip:  It's really easy to overtighten those screws and that will cause the spiral cam to crack.

The plastic spiral cams seem to be relatively uncommon, and as such, this shouldn't be the first thing to check if your Bally slot is overpaying by one.  But I thought I'd share this, as I didn't see this particular issue mentioned in any of other threads on the topic.

At some point, I should probably just replace the cam.  Then again, this may work properly for years to come.

The plastic spiral cam probably wasn't Bally's best idea.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:28:29 AM by essmeier »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: FYI: Bally 891-20 1 Coin Overpay Tip
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 02:53:47 PM »
This is good to know.

Probably fixable by drilling the cam at the B pin.
Then re-construct the pin with JB weld.

Or eBay.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the fix tip...
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »
I looked into drilling it, but there's business going on on the other side of that missing pin and I don't want to interfere with the cam's operation.

I'll bet this is a good place to use Bondic. It's liquid plastic that sets with exposure to UV light.  Don't have any at the moment, but it's probably what's needed here for long-term repair.

Or I can keep an eye out for another cam.  Like I said, now that it's adjusted and tight, it might work well for years.

Offline Herbie21

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Herbie21 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 12:45:02 AM »
with the one coin overpay I also always look at the position of th backalite pay-out board, it can be a bit loose, position the board, maybe slightly move to the left, in the case of one overpay and fasten the two bolts

Herbie

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 07:18:52 AM »
It’s possible the finger contacts aren’t riding off the metal receiver strips soon enough.
Allowing one more coin to be ejected.

Test this by manually stepping up the unit to 10, 14 times then check for continuity.
There should not be any between the contacts and the metal strips.
If there is, then further investigation and most likely a small adjustment to the cam stop.

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 07:49:02 AM »
It’s possible the finger contacts aren’t riding off the metal receiver strips soon enough.

The problem on my particular machine was that the wiper was misaligned due to the button being broken off of the spiral cam and the screws becoming loose.   

I created this thread to share that possible cause as I hadn't seen it mentioned in other threads about the "one coin overpay" problem.

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
Just an update regarding this one-coin-overpay problem.

I went ahead and purchased a new spiral cam that I found on eBay.  While taking the entire thing apart, I discovered a spiral crack in the main shaft of my 100 tooth gear.  The crack did not prevent the unit from working.  Had I not taken the unit apart to replace the spiral cam, I might have missed it.

That crack is there in such a way that it will twist open while the shaft is advancing.  That could also have affected the payout, as it could have the gear and the wipers out of position relative to one another.

While replacing the spiral cam and the 100 tooth gear, I either broke or discovered a break in the microswitch on that mechanism.

So, I've now replaced the gear, the cam, and the switch, and payouts seem OK now.

Bottom line?  These are old machines that had heavy, continuous 24/7 use; look for worn out plastic parts on the pay unit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:43:49 PM by essmeier »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing, good advice.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal