New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1090 Bally EM Repair, oh what people do to machines..  (Read 8856 times)

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
1090 Bally EM Repair, oh what people do to machines..
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
I just started working on a repair job on a Bally EM 1090. First thing I see is a bird nest of wiring and bare solder joint at the coin in switch (see pic).. Of course the power cord looks like a lawn mower ran it over. Go to cut the cord off to repair it when I find a fuse is by passed. It has a black & red wire from the harness, and the white from the power cord all soldered together on one side of the 4th fuse. What wire needs to be moved?  I don't have a wiring diagram for the 1090 or another machine to compare it too?

Gary
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:17:25 AM by Ron (r273) »
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
Re: 1090 Bally EM Repair, oh what people do to machines..
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:18:16 PM »
The fuse holder is only being used as a terminal strip. I would not worry about it unless you wanted to add a fuse to that circuit -  not needed on the white wire you would merely move the white wire to the bottom terminal of the fuse and add a 5 amp fuse or so to the circuit the coins switch. I can't quite make out where the top green wire goes - the bottom green wire has been stretched if it were alone. I've seen a lot of that what is the machine doing, and the power cord we will get into later.
I do not run them out the bottom of the machine. I find a hole in the back that's already drilled. I drill a hole through the machine and I run them out the back of the machine then it will no longer happen. I do put a stress relief on where the cord cannot be pulled out. I never let a machine leave my shop with the cord going out the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:53:38 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
I did go look at the 873 in the back room. It has 110V plug hooked to those fuse wires. I will take a few better pics tomorrow with the digital camera instead on my cell phone. Basically they just added wires when the new switch was installed. I don't know how it didn't blow fuses..  :Scratch-Head:
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »
I am NOT concerned with the fuse and as long as those two green wires are not touching anything. I'm not terribly concerned with them we can fix them. We can make them look good a customer always like there machine to look good, but don't worry about the fuse.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:37:29 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
I tend to relocate record. I do not splice it in I crib new inds on it - on the EM machines I install a molex plug.

You can see in the green circle the damaged cord. The red circle is where I drill the hole through the cabinet and then the cord will never shred again.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:42:03 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
and a little bit of vacuuming and it looks clean and it is no longer a safety hazard

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »
That looks good and works.. My problem is that if you have to move the machine on its back, then the cords under the machine. I do something similar, but i use the bottom hole.. I make sure the cord is secure inside with a cord strap, like the black one on your cord.. I then use a second cord strap on the outside, I pull the cord tight and up the back.. I then drill a pilot hole for a screw about 2-3" up from the bottom, install the second cord strap on the cord and screw it to the back of the machine. Now it's held tight and can't get pinched.. If the machine needs to be moved on it's back, you can remove the screw and move the cord out of the way..

Ok... I have better pictures of my coin switch. I see what they did now, and should be an easy fix. The biggest mistake the made was with the resistor, it's hooked up wrong. It's currently hooked up between the Orange/Green wire and the double Yellow wire. It should be from the Grey wire on the diverter coil and the double yellow wire..
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
 :Please_Post_Pictures_2clr:
Of the switch repair

Offline rdaniel

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • rdaniel New User barely matters.rdaniel New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
Looks like someone needed a lesson (or perhaps several) in proper soldering!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
That cord repair looks great! This reminds me that I still have a few slots with cords that need replacement since the electrical tape is starting to slip off, or melt off!  I do wonder how these cords get SO messed up? Maybe it's due to multiple moves where the cord gets caught under the machine or just from the machine sitting on the cord for years upon years.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »
:Please_Post_Pictures_2clr:
Of the switch repair

Ok Ok here are the finished pics of the coin switch rewire..  I had to extend the Orange/green, and Blue/yellow wires. I hid the extension wire behind the coin acceptor.. I also had to extend the resistor lead.. Now to the power cord repair..

And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:49:11 PM »
looks sweet you do nice work

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
Thanks.. I found a piece of the old broken coin switch still in that solder ball at the end of the Yellow wire. Now get the new cord hooked up and power it on and watch for smoke,  :burningresistor: :hide4: .
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:09:37 PM »
you do know when the smoke gets out of that switch it doesn't work they pressurize that switch with like four pounds of smoke

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »
you do know when the smoke gets out of that switch it doesn't work they pressurize that switch with like four pounds of smoke
Better check my smoke alarms battery..
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »
Cords finished, machine fired up, but that's about it for now. Handles not releasing and the unit in the top box is firing the solenoid every time the coin switch is closed. Looks like its time to clean the reels contacts and oil and grease things. To be continued..
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
I will be posting a pic of how I tie up my cords on my machines at the bottom. Well I've checked most of the switches on the machine. I found two not making contact, fixed those, and now I can coin up the game and the handle releases, but I didn't get a payout on the single cherry? Same happened on a couple other payouts? I did reach in and touched the payout unit and pushed the pay solenoid plunger and the hopper started running. It did the same on the next jackpot, no pay till I cycled the payout plunger. Time to meter out my wiper board and contacts.
And remember...

Offline Denmark

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Denmark New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 06:11:21 AM »
it sounds like your zerostop needs adjustment - chek the payout wipers when they are reset-After a no win cycle -if they are not touching the "2" segment i think thats where your problem is...

Happy hunting

Hans

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »
Problem solved.. Zero stops worn and sticky but not this machines problem. Mine was that the wiper board and wiper fingers were dirty and were not making good contact. My meter showed me an open connection between F on the payout board and my first 3 payouts segments. Removed the spiral cam and cleaned and inspected the wiper fingers contacts and wiper board. Cleaned them both good with a green scotch bright pad, then applied a little contact grease. Reassembled the payout assembly, installed and now my payouts are all working and paying correctly  :dancing_2:  Now on to the candle lights not working.

Gary
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
I just wanted to put a finish on this thread.. The machine is finished and running like new.. Everything is working with exception of the white candle light, and the customer doesn't care about that.. Bulbs were good, but it just didn't light? It had a hinge switch on the top hinge, but it was always closed? That's how it was installed.. I removed the screw to inspect the switch and it worked fine, but it wouldn't light the white light? Like I said, no big deal.. I am attaching a pic of the finished machine..
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal