New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 831-ZZM Slot w/ Stuck Handle  (Read 5199 times)

Offline musicalpets

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • musicalpets New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 831-ZZM Slot w/ Stuck Handle
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:50:54 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just got a Bally EM Slot Machine. The machine lights up but the handle is stuck in the down position. The woman I got it from said it worked great until her grandchild pulled the handle when the machine was unplugged and it never went back into the up position. I think it has been like this for a long time.

I am not completely new to this as I used to repair EM Pinball machines and once, about 10 years ago I restored a 1935 Mills Castle Front Slot Machine. However, This machine is just different enough that I feel I could use your expert advice in getting started. I know the mech should slide out for service just like my Mills Machine did but I am not sure which bolts to remove and how to disconnect the mech from the handle. Any advice or push in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Melissa
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:16:09 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally 831-ZZM Slot w/ Stuck Handle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »
Welcome to the Bally EM form.

Attached photo has explanation that might release the handle back up.
The lever is located behind the handle mechanism, it should move down fairly easy about 1 inch.

With the machine off try this first to see if it helps.

Also stay clear of the handle when it returns back up.

Only other concern would be how the handle went down with the machine off.
Unless it was rigged to play without coins.   

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »
Thank You so much, David! This is exactly what I needed. I am going to try it asap and I will post my results. I'm not sure how the handle moved without a quarter. That is a very good question. She said the child hung her whole body weight on the handle. Maybe she forced it? I'm not sure that is possible though. There are quarters in the hopper so we will have to see if it is on free play once the handle is un-stuck.

Thank you SO much for the help!
Melissa

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Okay, considering a child’s weight. There is a pin I believe in the end of the handle shaft. It might of got sheared off.
If that is the case you might be able to push the handle back up.

Look inside the machine, the handle mechanism has a U shaped fork that rides over a
roller bushing, lower right of reel chassis. If the fork is facing to the front of the machine this would indicate the handle mechanism is at fault. To know for sure, release the hopper latches. The hopper should slide out of the machine. Meaning  if you can slide the hopper out,
the handle mechanism needs to be inspected.
Post a photo of the machine and a inside photo of the two half gears on the right lower side of the reel mechanism chassis.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
Maybe this will help.
Correction, it’s not a pin exactly. A through bolt threads into the handle.
Part 43 threads into # 28. The fork is # 41

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
Maybe this will help.
Correction, it’s not a pin exactly. A through bolt threads into the handle.
Parts 43 and 28, also part 41 is the fork.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
It will be impossible to tell what happened until we get inside the game.. It could have been coined up and the air cylinder was stuck, and now it's stuck in the down handle position.. If that's the case then the handle release lever will need to be held down while the handle is pulled back up... Then get the reel assembly out and service that sticky air cylinder..

Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »
Music:

Me thinks that the old lady might speak with forked tongue.  I went and took a good look at my games after reading your post.  Unless the this the grandchild of Spiderman most hands, big or small, would simply slide off the ball at the end and slip down the arm to the hub.  Since the arm is closer to 90 degrees that 45 degrees when at rest.   If pulled in more of a forward motion then the game might have toppled forward and this discussion would be about the poor departed little Timmy,

That aside, Your have already received great advice about how to free the handle. Be careful not to force anything until you get and idea of what is holding up the works.  A slight rocking action along with a good flashlight might be helpful.  Send pictures.  We are like youth deprived children here.  We love pictures. :yes:

Best of luck and welcome to the best forum forum on NLG

Ra

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
Thank you so much, guys! It is certainly possible that the story of the grandchild might not be all together true. I really can't say for sure. I plan to work on this machine today and your help is SO greatly appreciated.

Thank you all again!
Melissa

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
Oh, and in regards to pictures. I have tried several times to upload a photo on here but it always tells me it is too large a photo, even when I have shrunk it down. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Melissa

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Ok, Well I hit a road block right away. I can't slide the upper mechanism out because of the position of the handle. The arm is stuck tight. Should I remove the bolt in this picture and hope to free the arm?

Thank you,
Melissa

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »
I Figured out my picture problem. I have already removed the hopper/bottom mechanism.

Here are some more pictures. You can see the angle of the arm here.

Thank you again guys.
Melissa

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »
Try backing out the bolt just enough to slide the fork off.
This should allow the reel mechanism to slide out.
Its possible that the handle will finish its cycle.
The lever indicated in the drawing may need to be pushed down
to release the handle.
Use caution as there’s some pressure on these mechanisms.

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
We got it out! The handle released but did not finish a cycle. Everything seemed great until we tried to put the reel mech back in. The fork does not line up. I am assuming the gears are stuck in the wrong position. Any ideas?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
I would assume that your air cylinder is stuck, and will need to be cleaned.. The air cylinder is the white or tan plastic tube right above those side gears.. Inside is, or was a rubber cup seal. Over the years they become a sticky tar like mess that does not allow the handle to move.. Remove the 4 phillip screws holding it in place, then the E-Clip from the metal linkage.. Once off you need to pull the piston and linkage from the cylinder. Now things get messy... You will need to clean the old tar like rubber off the piston and the inside of the cylinder.. I find that rubbing alcohol works or buy Acetone. Once cleaned apply a very very light coat of grease to the piston and inside of the cylinder and re assemble without a cup seal..  Be careful not to loose a spacer from the inside of the piston.. 
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
Check the trip lever bottom right of reel mechanism.
If the handle was not pulled all the way, the reels may be ready to kick off.
If the trip lever is free and pivots then the machine is gummed up Amechanic mentioned.
But if its still pushing on the trip arm, this indicates the reels mechanism is under load.

How did you finally get the reels out?

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
We were able to get the mech out by loosening the bolt and wiggling the fork back and forth. It was a bit of a struggle but it finally came loose. I tripped the lever so it is now loose. I think the cylinder is the problem. It looks dirty even from the outside. I am hoping that once we get it cleaned up, it will all move properly. You guys have been so wonderful! Thank you again!

I will let you know if we are successful.

Melissa

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
Okay great, the reels should spin now.
The piston is partly held in place with two spacers on either side of the wrist pin.
These spacers may fall out if the pin is removed. No big deal, you just don't want loose them. 
Note, every part on the cross shafts below the reels needs to rotate and move freely side to side.
Photo of what is behind the old grease.

Offline musicalpets

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 05:36:42 PM »
Hi Everyone!

We were able to reinstall the cleaned parts today. The old grease is all gone and we lubricated it with a small amount of white lithium grease. It all moves freely. Unfortunately, we still don't have a working machine. The arm is no longer stuck down but it does not move when a quarter is inserted. When we release the lever manually, the arm moves fine and the machine runs correctly. The reels spin, slow down and click into place. Whatever is supposed to release the arm isn't doing it's job. Any Ideas?

I'm sorry for the slow posts but we are only able to work on it a few times a week. Also, it took quite a bit of force and fighting to get that piston out of the cylinder. Lots of old, nasty grease!!!

Thank you for the help, we are going to try some more work on it tomorrow and Tuesday this week.

Melissa

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
Okay, you want to listen for the coin relay to trip. You should be able to hear it trip by depressing the coin in switch. Simulating 1st coin in.
This closes a circuit back to the coin in switch. When the switch is released back up. This completes the circuit to the handle release coil,
tripping the handle release. This sequence may vary depending on the machine.

Sometimes the wire on the coin in switch gets bent and will not return all the way. This will keep the handle release from tripping.
If the coin relay releases, try cleaning the contacts and check for continuity. Test the machine, if it still doesn't work clean the contacts related to the handle release.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal