New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 809 short in 6 volt lights and free playing  (Read 1547 times)

Offline PickerDan

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PickerDan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 809 short in 6 volt lights and free playing
« on: September 19, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »
Hello, I am new to using the forum. Looking for help. My machine is a Bally 809, has the fruits and bars. It was working perfect. Then just started to divert coins to the hole in the bottom of the machine. (One thing to note, when I got it, it would allow more than 5 coins to keep going to the hopper instead of to returning to the tray) not too worried about that.  Anyway, after it stopped taking coins, I pulled out the reels and the hopper, cleaning beau plugs with electronic cleaner. Let it dry. (This was 2 weeks ago). Now the handle release coil keeps tripping.I pull the handle, the reels spin, then stop like normal. (Except if it hits a winning combination it does not pay out). Now the other thing that happened after the cleaning is the 6 volt light bulbs are shorting out. They turned real bright, then popped. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it!! I will donate to the site. There is alot of great information on here. I also bought the Owner's Pictoral Guide for Bally slot machines. Great book!! I can post pictures of anything you need if I can figure out how. Thanks in advance!!

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally 809 short in 6 volt lights and free playing
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

During the cleaning something might of been knocked out of adjustment.

Check beau-plug pins not to be bent or pushed back into the housing.

Inspect the payout relay switch on the top left back of the hopper.

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:03:16 PM »
Awesome!! Thank you!! I will check, and post what I find. :)

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »
your book has a generic 809 schematic in it.  If you post the full model number on the plate below the handle, I may have the specific schem for your game if it's not already on http://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/

the game accepting more than 5 coins means the coin lockout coil wasn't working.  The coil and armature are behind the coin mech, and it had a tendency to buzz after the armature or coil top wore, so the quick hack was to disable the function and keep the money :-)  The inconvenient way to disable was to remove the armature.  The nicer way was to disconnect the coil or misadjust a switch so it never powered.

if your game is not locking the handle, see if the coin relay on the bottom left of the reel mech isn't mechanically resetting after the handle pull ... or if it is resetting, if it's electrically tripping without the coin switch being actuated.    If the coin relay is tripped and/or the handle is released, payout is disabled.

diverting the coins to the hole in the bottom of the machine happens when the hopper is full.  If the hopper isn't full per the "golf ball" float mechanism switch, then the coin diverter has an issue.

Offline Herbie21

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Herbie21 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:47:30 AM »
about de 6 volt lamps, are they all burning out or only the insert coin and coin accepted?

did you check for shorts on th 50 volt?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »
also check the wiring harness going from the door into the cabinet, and if you took apart any plug connectors to clean the pins, make sure the plugs are back in correctly.

finding shorts can be tedious.  It helps to remove the hopper and/or the reel mech and see what happens if checking the beau plugs per david's suggestion doesn't turn up anything.

I'd probably use a voltmeter on the lamp socket vs blowing lamps as a test :-)

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »
Thank you so much!! You guys are great!! I am going to dig into it this coming weekend. I was bummed....I wanted to this weekend, but had to work. I will definitely post my results. I also appreciate you mentioning the voltage meter....those little bulbs are not cheap!! 😒 Have a great week!!

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 05:43:26 PM »
I ran downstairs to look at the ID tag, it is missing. I see the rivot holes where it was. (That does not help). It used to be a 5 cent machine (behind the slug rejector is 5 (cent) logo written. And there is a 1963 nickel glued to the inside of the door.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »
I ran downstairs to look at the ID tag, it is missing. I see the rivot holes where it was. (That does not help). It used to be a 5 cent machine (behind the slug rejector is 5 (cent) logo written. And there is a 1963 nickel glued to the inside of the door.

it's possible to narrow down what model it could be:

1] there's numbers stamped into the slotted metal index discs on the reels.  Usually p-484-x, but could also be the tape/wheel code for the model

2] there's an m-645-x number on the payout counter disc ... picture of the entire disc including the wire colors around the edge helps as the same disc was used on many models

3] the reel tapes have a part number underneath the overlap area, but don't uncrimp a tape to look.  Either take video turning the reels slowly or write down the symbols in order from the top of the tape down.  Top of tape is where the overlap is.

4] there may be something written on the hopper or reel unit, or the reel wipers and reel wiper contact plates. 

there was hundreds of 809 models ... my listing goes from 809-A to 809-9ZV (they had to shorten 809-ZZZZZZZZZV), and people on this forum have later models.

even if exact model can't be determined, it can be helpful determine the basic game type.  There were things like triple bar, triple bar fruit, 3 bar any, lightning (jackpot only), money gusher, and at least a dozen others.  Having paperwork from the same style game can be helpful if you have an obscure issue.

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »
Ok!! I got some time tonight here to start checking things out again. I am attaching the pictures of the numbers that you asked for. Hopefully this helps. Right now it is free playing, and when it hits a payout it pays the amount like it has 5 coins in it. Maybe this helps that something is stuck where it thinks it has 5 coins inserted, and not resetting to "0". It also still has the short. I put the volt meter to a light bulb socket, and it is showing 50 volts. Thank you to all who are replying!!

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
about de 6 volt lamps, are they all burning out or only the insert coin and coin accepted?

did you check for shorts on th 50 volt?
     I is burning out every light bulb. Winner paid came on, real bright then popped. Every other bulb has blown too. I cannot figure out what is going on. I did test a bulb socket, and they are getting 50 volts which is absolutely wrong!! How would I check for shorts on the 50 volt? Would it be back feeding through the ground somehow? Thanks for replying!!

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 06:21:19 PM »
Ok, so the reels have 484 642 stamped on them, the hopper wheel has M -645-118 on it.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
So the lights will stay on until the machine is played or when there’s a payout?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 09:01:25 PM »
your payout counter and index discs are consistent with the 809-B ... and a bunch of other triple bar models.  The 809-B schematic and paperwork is probably right or close enough.

you can see if the odds unit matches the below diagram.  Some later 809 triple bars used an odds unit with a couple extra wipers and more wires attached to the edge lugs.

none of that helps the 50V issue.  It sounds like you have a direct short between the 50V circuit and solid blue wire 20, which is the main 6V power wire.  If the short was thru a lamp filament, as soon as the lamp blew the short would go away.  Only the jackpot bell coil would likely survive a 50V short thru it.

if you have 50V on a lamp socket immediately after turning on the machine, I'd suggest:

1] remove the 6V fuse and check voltage (CV)
2] pull the hopper and CV
3] pull the reel mech and CV
4] disconnect door plugs one at a time and CV

since disconnecting the door plugs will disconnect most of the lamp sockets, you'll need to check voltage on odds lights in the top.  When the odds stepper unit is reset, the left set of odds should be turned on.

if you have to do something to make the 50V appear - deposit a coin or whatever - that will help narrow things down.  if the short is at a place that is sometimes connected to wire 30 (common wire for both 50V and 6V circuits), the 50V on the lamp socket will go away as soon as the 50V circuit closes to wire 30.

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 06:50:33 PM »
Thank you everyone for your help!! Over the weekend I dug in (with all your help) and was able to get my slot machine working 99%!!) I say 99% because it will still accept more coins than stopping at 5. But I am happy with it working!! So as far as the 6 volt light short, I have no idea. I used a volt meter as suggested, and it was reading between 6V and 7V. (That short blew every incandescent bulb in the machine including the jackpot candle and service light.  The free play problem was the very last set of contacts on the left bottom side of the reels. When cleaning I must have bumped the end one out of adjustment. I also re-cleaned the jones plugs with new contact spray I bought at Home Depot. (WD 40 brand). I was using some old Radio Shack brand stuff I had. Also the machine is paying out, and paying out correctly. Thank you to everyone who contributed to helping me out!! Right after I post this, I am heading for the donate button.  :applause: :waving_flag:

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 06:56:56 AM »
nice.

game accepting more than 5 coins is the coin lockout magnet and armature behind the coin mech.  Remove the mech and take a pic of what is behind there.  The armature plate has a tab that pokes into the mech and causes coins to reject back to the tray.  That must be disabled somehow - bend tab, missing armature, paper wedged in to hold the armature back and coil disconnected, etc.

there's probably pics on other posts if you search, but if you can't find anything I'll post a pic when I'm back home in a week of what should be behind your mech.

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »
Awesome!! Yes, I know there is a paper in there, I thought it was there for a reason. Ill pull it out, and see what g
Happens. Ill let you know the result.  Thanks!! (I dont know how to post photos. I tried with the reel #s and could not get it to work).

Offline PickerDan

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 03:47:42 AM »
I pulled out the little piece of paper card stock, it is still taking more than 5 coins. I will dig deeper tonight and keep you posted. (I am keeping everything documented here because I know how others problems helped me with other things).

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 05:03:51 AM »
After you take a photo and have it filed, use the "Attachments and other options" below.
There’s a limit to the file size. If it is exceeded a notice will appear.
Also, occasionally there’s an orientation problem with a photo.

A photo of the coin lockout mechanism would be helpful.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 11:50:29 AM »
if your picture is too big and you don't know how to reduce the size, email pics to slotpics@cdyn.com and I'll downsize them and attach them to this topic for people to look at and give you suggestions.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal