New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Games of Nevada GVP-7 help  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Kjtemp

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kjtemp New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Games of Nevada GVP-7 help
« on: September 28, 2021, 09:57:18 PM »
Just picked up a Games of Nevada gvp-7.  Looks like they are pretty rare unfortunately for me.  Is there any resource on repairing these?  Can't even find a manual or schematic.  Monitor and bottom light comes on and that's it.  I just got it today so thought I'd ask for advice first before tearing into it.  Thank you 🙂

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Games of Nevada GVP-7 help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 08:10:47 AM »
I would check the "obvious" first. Power down and pull the MPU out (carefully) and check all the IC's for any bent legs and that the MPU itself was plugged in fully.
Please note I have read that some legs might be that way on purpose as that particular gate was not used.
And, of course check that all the IC's are seated well into the sockets.
Check every connector you see in all the wiring. Unplug and replug. Be careful - the plastic can be brittle.
Post a photo of the inside and of the MPU board please.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
I will get into it after work tonight and report what I find, thank you.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:47:57 PM »
Here are some pictures of the board.  Seems to be in good shape.  No leaks or corrosion of any kind.  Found a few chips with legs lifted which is on purpose I think. Once I find my multimeter I'll troubleshoot power although not sure what voltages to look for.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »
Scratch that, found a few small caps that looked to have leaked.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 08:16:17 AM »
Shouldn't be too hard to replace those electrolytic caps. I'd clean that board as well and remove/re-seat the IC's. While you're at it, I'd check the voltage of that Alkaline battery.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:21:25 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 10:55:26 AM »
Yep I'll pull the board out fully to Id the caps.  Could I replace the smaller ones with ceramic?

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 03:08:59 PM »
I think most all electrolytic caps are polarized. Ceramic caps are not. Probably should use electrolytic but the value likely can be off a little if you can't find the exact value. The company Spin, Inc carries a number of them.  I'll get another member to comment here as well.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 03:36:23 PM »
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors (AEC) are usually polarized. ( they do make non-polarized ones, but are not used often, they tend to be larger than the polarized ) The ceramic ones usually are not polarized. And rarely need to be replaced.

When replacing AEC you should try hard to get the same capacitance value, especially when used for timing or control purposes. The voltage rating can always be larger (not smaller) as long as the space and physical size are not a problem.

2 common mounting styles radial - leads are on the bottom and axial - leads are on opposite sides. You can interchange these, again as long as space permits. They are exactly the same, just mounting style is different. Be sure you insulate any lead that may short to something if you change the style.  I usually leave the - (ground) lead as the long one. Less chance of problems if it gets grounded.  :yes:

The reason the capacitors (resistors too) capacitance values are made in what is called common/standard values - the tolerance of the unit is usually 20%. The common values are spaced apart because of the tolerance. If you replace one that is different, you want to get ones as close as possible - you can measure the device and may find one close to the value you need. Google this and you can get a lot more information.

Replace with same capacitance value and voltage rating - higher voltage rating OK - lower not OK. Install with correct polarity and voltage otherwise they usually go out with a bang resembling a firecracker.

I have purchased many capacitors and can ship them reasonably priced. The older the unit being worked on - the more chance you may come across a value that is not one of the present standard values. You can sometimes purchase those values but the pricing is usually higher as volume/demand is low. Get as close as you can it should work, it won't blow up because of the capacitance value change, it just may not perform as well as the original design specification of the unit you are working on. Don't worry much about that, I have had to replace some and they worked just fine.

I did run across one capacitor that I did not replace on a CRT board recently - it was a very large size 10uf 50V AEC, todays offerings are much smaller as improvements have been made and the push to smaller devices is on going. I just couldn't bring myself to put a 5mm diameter 8 to 12 mm long cap in for one that was around 25mm diameter and 40mm long. I'm sure i could have and it should have worked, just couldn't convince myself to do it. The old one measured OK in and out of circuit
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »
All good info thank you.  Sounds like regular caps will be the way to go.  I'll update with the values I find. 

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »
Found a few more caps that have leaked so right now looking for someone to replace all the caps.  I'm hoping that will revive this board as everything else is in great shape inside/out of this machine.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
PM me I can help.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:51:03 PM »
I have found someone local to me to replace the caps and the alkaline battery.  Hopefully this will bring it back to life.  If it doesn't I think I'm out of options since it seems nobody has these. 

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 07:11:12 PM »
So I had all of the capacitors replaced and same thing. I am just getting a blue screen regardless if the board is plugged in or not so now I am focusing on power not getting to the board. Main reason why I think that is because I think the power to the lights in the buttons comes through the board? Not 100% sure.  This thing is in such great shape I want to bring it back to life. What do you all think?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »
I did get a GON manual a while ago and PDF'd it.

If anyone wants a copy email me and I can respond with the manual attached.

Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 08:03:51 PM »
That would help me out a lot.  Sent you a message

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 08:46:09 PM »
Didn't get it.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »
Sorry about that.  I tried again

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 12:20:17 PM »
Done, sent.

Offline Kjtemp

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »
Emailed you directly, did you get my message?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal