New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Where to start on this Bally machine  (Read 1977 times)

Offline 1969mustang

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • 1969mustang New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Where to start on this Bally machine
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
So I purchased two slot machines one was an IGT S+ which with help of people on this great forum I have it working 100 percent.  Now I need to try and fix the bally slot machine but I have no idea where to start.  I need to know what type it is so I can start researching the forums for fixes. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:35:27 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
Brightened photo to see details better. Photos of the inside of the machine will help to identify it better. Looks like that machine came from the Las Vegas Hilton back in the day when they had the Star Trek Experience and theme going on. A lot of the machines there had that optical activation thing attached (the curved metal with red ends). Was supposed to look "futuristic".
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline 1969mustang

• NLG
Re: Where to start on this Bally machine
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
When I went to take a better picture of the inside I found a label that Says S5500 and it had a list of error codes.  When I turn the machine on I get an error code 31.  Says it is a hopper issue.  On the hopper it has test buttons and I can press it and cause it to send coins to the return coin holder on the top of the machine. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
Maybe it is a Bally S5500 slant top. But I'm not much familiar with Bally machines.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
Yea it’s a Bally 5500 slant top machine. Looks like it has a DBV-200 bill acceptor. Were you able to clear the code? You might want to make sure the hopper is plugged in tight and has enough coins if it’s fringe to pay. The whole front panel comes off the front under the arm rest. There should be a release lever inside. Once off you can remove the hopper to inspect it and to check the battery on the MPU board.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline 1969mustang

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
Put a new battery in.  I think it was an 81 code before the battery replacement.  I took the coin hopper out and checked the board for any obvious issues.  I did notice that one of the two wires that attach to the side of the hopper which I guess is the high and low coins.  I can press the test switch on the hopper and it cycles coins through just like it would if you cashed out your winnings.  But when I reset the 31 code comes back.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
Is this the error code sheet you found? Error 31 says "hopper coin-out jam". Maybe check the hopper knife and coin separator, look for something mechanically wrong with the hopper coin dispensing parts.

Also, slant top machines have what is called a "coin escalator" which is notorious for getting coin jams. On slant tops the hopper has to push the coins upward to the payout box. The coins slide upward thu a coin chute, sometimes making turns and bends along the way. Inspect the coin escalator to see if the coins are not flowing smoothly thru it. With the machine opened up you can do a hopper payout test and watch the coins leave the hopper and move upward thru the coin escalator.

Another thing, if the machine was ever setup for a different size coin (like dollars, etc) and it is now setup for a quarter for example then some of the hopper parts may be wrong for the coin now being used.

Lastly, the hopper will have a way to count the coins are they are dispensed. This is called the "coin counter". It can be a rocker arm that activates a switch, or it may be an optical sensor that the coin passes thru. If the coin counters isn't seeing the coins as they pass thru then the machine will assume no coins are getting out of the hopper and declare a hopper error. This may not be the problem because you said the hopper will payout 10 coins during test?

Offline 1969mustang

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »
That is the exact label I have.  The coin escalator is working great when you use the test mode but the 31 code stays.  There are two wires that go into the top of the escalator from the circuit board on the hopper that are in somewhat of a box. I was thinking about taking it apart to see if maybe something is wrong under the cover. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 09:54:02 PM »
Those 2 wires may be going to the coin counter up there, just before the coin is dispensed to the coin box. Maybe with the cover off that box you can watch how it works during hopper test mode.

Here is part of a more detailed error code listing, plus a hopper error troubleshooting guide. The error code chart says that error 31 is likely caused by a problem related to the coin counter. Maybe you have a mouse nest inside that box at top of escalator.  :propeller:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:13:03 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:01 PM »
The model number on the idplate says Model "S63U3D067".

This crosses to the Bally model definition of:

Slot machine product, Reel Type machine, 3 coin multiplier, 3 reels, Slant top style cabinet with roundtop award glass, built-in bill validator, stainless finish.

Your machine is a 2 coin machine, so maybe it got converted somewhere in the past.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:00:19 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 04:08:38 AM »
There should be a switch at the top of the coin escalator. It should have a lever and possible a return spring. Check to see if the switch is working.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline 1969mustang

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
So I took the hopper apart and cleaned it then used the test mode and ran it for about  30 sec reset the machine and no 31 error code but now I have a 73 code.  All three reels seem to spin the same on start up.  Time to search the forums for answers.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
Reel #3 problem. Check the reel's optic sensor, see if it is dirty. Make sure the reel #3 "basket" (wheel with the strip attached) is mounted to the reel's stepper motor properly, shouldn't be overly loose that allows back & forth sloppy movement. On some machines there is a rubber o-ring that is part of the mounting of the basket to the motor, if it is missing or gone bad that can cause a problem. You can swap the #3 reel with the #2 reel just to see if the error stays the same or if it changes. That will tell you if the problem is with the reel or is due to something else. The reel assemblies are all the same except for the strip with symbols, and the strip is just for appearance purposes. The machine will work just fine even if there are no strips on the reels. They are just for the player's benefit and enjoyment (and sometimes they help when troubleshooting payout problems).

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal