New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Hangs at "Testing Memory"  (Read 8672 times)

Offline modessitt

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • modessitt New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Hangs at "Testing Memory"
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
Got an S2000 here that seems to be missing the sound SIMM.  Customer says it was playing after they bought it while hitting "Max Bet", but when they hit "Bet One Credit" and pulled the handle it reset and now won't boot.

I turn it on and get "Testing Display" followed by "Please Wait...Testing Memory" and it just sits like that forever.  I've let it sit for two hours with no change.

I tested the MPU in another game and it does the same thing, so it's specific to this MPU.  I've reseated or pushed down all the socketed chips with no change.  Held the white button down on bootup. No corrosion seen.  Batteries have good voltage.

The only thing I might have left to try is a clear, unless someone has a bright idea.  Maybe I'll try swapping chips from another board...

EDIT:  Adding a pic of the MPU.  Says Model 1952-0:

Offline modessitt

• NLG
Re: Hangs at "Testing Memory"
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
Interesting:

I swapped the chips from U44, U19, & U46 to another board to verify they weren't the problem and it booted past  "Please Wait... Testing Memory" to giving an alarm and saying "RAM Error".

Then I put the chips from the other board to this one and it did the same thing.

AHA! So I figured it must be a memory corruption issue and changing the chips got me past that point and now I should be able to get the same result with the original chips, do a Clear, and be good to go.

But - when I put the original chips back on this board, it does the same thing again: "Please Wait... Testing Memory" and hangs...

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
I would suspect the software if you have Cleared the machine and it still hangs. If you want to further isolate what chip is doing it, swap the SGs with known goods, and see what happens. Could have had a little power surge or something, who knows, or maybe chip just died.
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
Okay, I did a Clear 97 but only got the top light to go Amber, not the top 2.

But I went ahead and tried completing the Clear procedure and I get through the initial boot to "open door".  I do that and get the alarm, turn the key past that to the next boot and it just says "Eeprom Error" instead of the expected "Call Attendant".  Could this be because I'm doing this in a different machine than it came from?  Will I have to take it back to the original machine to complete the Clear and Key setups?  Or should I just go on to the Key 31 configs?

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
Just turn the jackpot key to clear the EEPROM ERROR. It's normal since its a different machine.

You may need to repeat the Clear. Some people do a Clear 2-3 times before removing the Clear chip. Some stubborn stuff just doesn't always clear on the first go.
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
Tried turning the key and it kept coming back to EEprom Error.

And i left the Clr97 in and tried it 4 times all with just the top led lit. Perhaps the other is bad.

Offline brianfink

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • brianfink New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
I know I have had this problem before and ended up just swapping the board. I haven't gotten around to trying to figure out exactly what the problem was yet, but I know it wasn't the software in my case.

I suspect the eeprom on the board is the problem.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
I've got a 504 that did the same thing but swapping ram chips would take care of it for a while. I actually put a different pair in and it worked for about 6 months before failing completely. I haven't really made an effort to try and figure it out because I had a spare board.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
Since it's a 50x series board, it would be a good idea to remove the green battery to avoid any future corrosion issues due to it.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
Which specific chips are considered the EEPROM or RAM chips?

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • foster New User barely matters.foster New User barely matters.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
On 50x boards the RAM chips are the 2 chips in sockets next to the SG chips.
They could be regular DIP package chips or Surface Mount Devices on DIP adapter boards.

Coca-Cola and Slot Machine Addict

If you find this site helpful
Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »
These are the RAM chips. Yours are black Aries (different manufacturer but same purpose). The first amber light indicates Ram clear, the second indicates E2 clear on the motherboard after which you will have to key chip the machine & set it all up again. A clear 97 or 224 should give you both amber lights. A 96 or 223 will give you only 1 amber.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
I have a 97 but it only gave one light. Used it on a different board and got both lights.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
Which specific chips are considered the EEPROM or RAM chips?

The ram chips are as RB posted.  The EEPROM is on the motherboard backplane. It is the little square 8 pin chip, sometimes on a socket or soldered.  It is the ONLY square little chip on the motherboard.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • foster New User barely matters.foster New User barely matters.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
I have not seen one S2000 motherboard with the Serial EEPROM soldered in place.
It is always in a socket.
It is a 24C16

Coca-Cola and Slot Machine Addict

If you find this site helpful
Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
You are right, it's the 044 mainboard that I have that is soldered.  All my S2000's in use and my spares are socketed.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Okay - finally had time to get back on this.

This board continues to only show one led on clears (like is mentioned in another unresolved thread that has the same issue). After the clear, I can go through all the steps up to the point where I'm supposed to get the "Call Attendant/Machine Type Mismatch" message. Instead I just get the "Call Attendant" and when I open the door I get the "EEPROM Error" loop again - over and over.

I'm testing this board in another machine that WAS booting but giving me a "Open MB Door" error, but now that board also gives me the "EEPROM Error", as does a third board that is known working. I've checked that it's seating fully.

Pulled the EEPROM from the backplane and put it back in.

After that, I got one board to boot and play, one gave the EEPROM Error, and one won't get past the "Close The Door" even though the other two do (meaning the door switch is fine). But then the working board gave the EEPROM Error again, so it's most likely a connection issues to the backplane.  I might have to pull it and check it for dirty connectors or cold solder.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
You might try replacing the motherboard. We had another thread recently where a bad motherboard was throwing meter errors. He had loose female pins in the sockets on the board. They had just been spread apart to much and wouldn't make good contact

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal