New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Reel Tilt 42 on S+ 10Mhz MPU  (Read 11683 times)

Offline jkp1300

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • jkp1300 New User has no influence.
  • Every day is a gift!
Reel Tilt 42 on S+ 10Mhz MPU
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »
Hello to all. This is my first post as I've just began having problems with my D-Diamonds machine purchased about 14 years ago. The machine has been rock solid but has set turned off for about a year. I powered up to let the grand kids play and started getting a 42 error code. I've read through the posts and found two discussions that sounded like my problem. All indications point to replacing the MPU. I thought I would describe my scenario in detail so the experts could have all the info I can give. I'd like to make sure this is the route I should take before I order the MPU. I'll describe below and when I say the reels "rotate" it means they all make revolutions at the same time (not real slow) when they shouldn't.

Got the 42 error and swapped #1 & #2 reel plugs
Power up, close door, "resets" (ready for quarter), drop quarter and reels spin and everything works fine
Drop quarter, spin, reels stop, "paid" "credits" "coins played" LED lights go out (always happens at this point) and reels rotate, stop, rotate, stop, then "resets"
Drop quarter everything works fine
Drop quarter everything works fine (pays out 2 credits correctly for one reel cherries)
Drop quarter, reels spin correctly, reels stop, LED lights go out and reels rotate (twice) then "resets"
Drop quarter, reels spin correctly, reels stop, LED lights go out and reels rotate (three times) then "resets"
Drop quarter, reels spin correctly, when reels stop, LED lights go out and reels rotate (four times) then throws 42 error
Open door, power down, swap #2 & #3 reel plugs, power up, close door, "resets"
Drop quarter and the same things happen as above (not exactly but close) for about the same amount of plays until it throws the 42 error.

Sorry for all the repetition but, being new to this, I don't know if it's necessary or not to go into that much detail. Anyway, that's what she's doing and it's got me stumped. I have removed the MPU and checked the reel plugs at the motherboard and all looks good. I've made sure that there are no harnesses rubbing on the reels and that the front glass is not touching the reels when they spin.

Any advice concerning any other tests is appreciated.

Thank you in advance - Kenny Plunkett
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:34:52 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: Reel Tilt 42 on S+ 10Mhz MPU
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
Did you check the battery voltage.
Low battery's do weird things
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »
Given the time that has elapsed since you have had the machine, I think Proten is spot on with the battery. At 14 years, that gives HUGE accolades to the battery and battery manufacturer. A Low Battery will give wacky, sporadic messages...you're way over due (as normal battery life is maybe 3-5 years, give or take?).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:45:50 PM by CVslots »
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:50:06 AM »
Wow! - that is incredible. How could it have lasted this many years  :Scratch-Head:  Must have been one heck of a battery!

I could search for this but being as I'm pretty lazy this morning maybe one of you could describe the procedure so I don't have to? Is it just as easy as de-soldering the old battery and soldering in a new one? Are there any resets required?

:thank_you:  - Kenny

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
When you replace the battery, if you have a bill validator, you need to re-enable it.  If you don't have a set chip, you would need to buy one. They are inexpensive and very usefull, especially if you ever want to change the game theme.  Other than that, you will get some errors after you first boot up the machine, just clear them with the correct procedure which you can find in the FAQ here:

http://www.newlifegames.net/igterrors/
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks Rick. I just picked up a battery and will give it a try when I get home.

- Kenny

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
No dice. Got the new battery installed and it threw 61. Held reset button for a couple of seconds till it dinged and threw a 61_1. I cleared it with the jackpot reset key per Rick's link. Dropped a quarter and when it finished spinning, all reels were shaking and "growling" (never seen that before). I opened and closed the door to reset. Dropped a quarter and after the spin all LEDs went out, all reels rotated four times, then threw the 42 error again. :duh:

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for the help - Kenny

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »
In your first post you said:

"Open door, power down, swap #2 & #3 reel plugs, power up, close door, "resets""

Did you get the reels back in their original places? I'm not sure if that would cause the strange reel behavior but always good to get the reels back in their proper holes I think.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
I'd take the MPU out and press on both the SP and SS chips to be sure they're seated well and have good connections then check the cabinet around the reels and the area around the reel glass inside the door to make sure nothing could be rubbing the reels to hinder their movement

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
Skater & Cowboy - Yes, I re-plugged all three reels into their original harnesses in the original locations (#1, 2, 3). I'm sure nothing is in contact with the reels as stated in my OP. I didn't try reseating the chips since they've never been touched during the 14 years I've owned the machine and it played without fault.

Thanks for the replies!

Kenny

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
And the pins inside the reel 2 plug that plugs into the reel are clean, no corrosion or anything?

Offline coorslight115

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • coorslight115 Hides in shadows.
  • NLG
    • tim@jjslots.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
No dice. Got the new battery installed and it threw 61. Held reset button for a couple of seconds till it dinged and threw a 61_1. I cleared it with the jackpot reset key per Rick's link. Dropped a quarter and when it finished spinning, all reels were shaking and "growling" (never seen that before). I opened and closed the door to reset. Dropped a quarter and after the spin all LEDs went out, all reels rotated four times, then threw the 42 error again. :duh:

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for the help - Kenny

At this exact point.. are the reel stiff to turn or free spinning?

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:45:47 AM »
Cowboy & Coors -

No corrosion on anything that I can see. I've unplugged both ends of the reel harnesses and checked them with a bright light. All pins are nice and shiny. It's always been in my game room in the house so it's in good shape albeit a bit dusty and some spider webs  :Tongue_Out:

The reels feel good. They turn freely with a bit of resistance but nothing that seems out of "the ordinary" (I wouldn't really know what that is but I think they are fine). I didn't mention it in the OP but I went ahead and ordered a reel off eBay that was listed as "working" and replaced the #2 reel but still got 42 tilt. I should have already mentioned that  :arrowthruhead: Sorry!

Thanks for the replies!

- Kenny

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »
Just read in the archives where a guy was having 41, 42, 43 errors. He said a grey-beard told him the bank of resistors at bottom right corner facing the MPU can go bad. He replaced these resistors and his problems went away. Has anybody confirmed this is a fix that has been used to repair MPUs for reel tilt errors? Should I give this a shot?

:thank_you:

- Kenny
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:41:54 AM by jkp1300 »

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
Yes, there's a little bank of 5 resistors (numbers end in 1 though 5), for each reel. Since you're machine is a 3 reel machine, you don't need 4 or 5. You can used those as replacements for your problem reel. We've done it, and it works. It's kind of delicate soldering, but it is doable.

Note: I've been told that not all boards will have 5 resistors there (some will only have 3, I guess), but I've only personally banks of 5.
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
Yes, my board has a bank of 5. They are all crumbly and actually showing metal (or something) through the "shell". Because of this and my poor eyes  :nerd:, I'm having a terrible time figuring out the values. Does anyone know what ohm they are or have a schematic that shows?

:thank_you:

- Kenny

Offline coorslight115

• NLG
    • tim@jjslots.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »
They are 10K ohms

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
 Thanks Coors - I'll replace them this afternoon and post the results.

- Kenny

Offline coorslight115

• NLG
    • tim@jjslots.com
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
This is from the old site and should help you. I have had the reel driver chips cause this too.

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
Okay, I'm a little confused  :Scratch-Head:  I snapped a micro-pic of the resistor bank to get a better view of the colors because I couldn't come up with 10k no matter how I looked at it! The way I'm seeing it, the ones installed are 470 ohm resistors. I've attached a couple of pics to show you what I'm seeing. How am I misinterpreting this  :banghead:

- Kenny

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal