New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Reel Tilt 42 on S+ 10Mhz MPU  (Read 11685 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Reel Tilt 42 on S+ 10Mhz MPU
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Okay, I'm a little confused  :Scratch-Head:  I snapped a micro-pic of the resistor bank to get a better view of the colors because I couldn't come up with 10k no matter how I looked at it! The way I'm seeing it, the ones installed are 470 ohm resistors. I've attached a couple of pics to show you what I'm seeing. How am I misinterpreting this  :banghead:

- Kenny

[Yellow=4, Violet=7, Brown=x10 multiplier for 3rd color band]

I agree, those look like 470 ohm resistors to me, the gold 4th band indicates 5% tolerance spec but that may not be critical in this usage. Since all of them are connected to each other on the left side of the photo they are likely connected in individual circuits. This is a common resistor size for use in current limiting, like with an LED connected to each resistor or similar. The old style resistors were carbon, these are a newer type that are made of a metal film, then covered with epoxy for toughness, so that probably explains the metallic residue you see. Looks like something got dropped or banged into that resistor.

I'd try what CVslots suggested, remove the broken resistor and move the resistor at R5 to the R1 position and test it.

Not sure about the 10kohm value on some boards, maybe that is in a different area or a different board? I'd be careful about changing these to 10k, that is too far away from the value there now to be right. Maybe someone with the same board as you can verify the value on their board. If someone has schematics or elec drawings for your board that would show for sure what they should be.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:52:25 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline coorslight115

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • coorslight115 Hides in shadows.
  • NLG
    • tim@jjslots.com
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »
They are 470 ohm. Old post must be wrong or different version of the board.

Offline jkp1300

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • jkp1300 New User has no influence.
  • Every day is a gift!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »
Thanks, the better half had me working on Xmas lights this evening :fryingpan: I'll get to it tomorrow after work and let you know how it went. I wonder how many watts go through these resistors?  :Scratch-Head:

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
There 1/4 watt
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »
Thank you Proten. I have plenty of those so I'm good to go with this step. Like one person said earlier, "one step at a time."  :I_agree_1:

- Kenny

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
This is from the old site and should help you. I have had the reel driver chips cause this too.
Coorslight,

I took a look at that pdf file in your post above and I think it might contain an error. The red arrow pointing to what it calls RP1 (resistor pack 1) is pointing to a group of 5 individual discrete resistors, not a resistor pack. I think the red arrow should actually be pointing to the resistor pack just below the group of 5 resistors and just above the other two resistor packs noted. Do you see the 3 yellow resistor packs one above the other? I think RP1 is the top one and it is probably a 10k pack. That could be the confusion about the 10k value vs the 470 ohm value of the 5 individual discrete resistors up in the corner. So even though the OPs board has a damaged 470 ohm resistor at R1 he may still need to check RP1 and it is a 10k pack. Just a thought.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
I got the resistors replaced without problem (R1, R2, & R3) but the game exhibited the same problems :no: . I thought it was going to work but then it started acting weird and finally did the funny four rotations of all reels and threw the 42 code. I thought I'd go ahead and replace the #2 reel with the one I got off ebay and, although it played fine for a couple of pulls, it began to do the same thing.

If anyone has any other things I should try, I'm all ears :bunny2:

- Kenny

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »
I might look to replace the reel harness, but that's just me...either that or clean it, SEVERELY, like go crazy cleaning it!
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »
How would you go about doing that CV? Like pull the pins and clean them individually then plug them back into the Molex plugs?

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »
Pull the plugs, spray with a contact cleaner, scrub with any little brush you can fit inside molex. Get all crazy and scrub like heck! Rough them up a little, let them dry completely, and plug back in!  :yes:

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Cool - I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Offline Jasonmichael

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Jasonmichael New User has no influence.
  • I have the slot sickness...
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:27 AM »
Hey all - I've been following this because I've been working on a machine that has a continuing 43 error.  Was eager to see if changing out the resistors did the trick - sorry to see that it didn't.  I tried switching the wires between the 2 and 3 reels - and expected that I'd just see the 2 reel (plugged into the 3 molex) start turning slowly (like the 3 was doing while it was plugged in to the proper molex and giving the 43 error) but, to my surprise, what happened is that both the 2 and 3 reels started turning slowly...  Any clue on what that means?  In any case, opening the door and turning the reset key then closing the door did the trick - but this machine played fine for thousands of spins (literally - we played it for hours a day for a couple of weeks) then it just started with the 43 error every so often then more and more often...  An insight?  Thanks!

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 07:51:28 AM »
I would try a known working mpu.  When the errors come back is it always in the same reel?  You might have a flaky reel.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
I'm about ready to get a replacement MPU :yes:. I'll probably order one this evening if I can find one from a vendor I feel like I can trust. It seems like such a throw of the dice since they are all old now. If it's not the MPU then I'll have a spare. I want to keep the old girl so spare parts will come in handy anyway. :cool_thumb_up:

BTW, is there a step-by-step procedure for replacing the MPU using your old game and reel chips out there anywhere? I can't seem to find it on NLG but I'm probably not using the right search criteria. :nerd:

Thanks for everyone's comments and help! :thank_you:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
S+ parts are beginning to dry out. You should probably stock up on parts.  Some reels, a coin comparator, coin-in optics, door optics, a hopper, a power supply, backplane, bill validator, and a player panel display should be in your inventory.  That is just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure there's something I'm missing here.

Not much to it.
1.  Remove the old one.
2.  Put the reel (SS) and the Game (SP) chip into the replacement board.
3.  Install replacement board.
4.  clear errors (look in the faq for the common errors and how to clear them).
5.  If you have a bill validator, you will need a SET chip to re-enable it.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
I would bet on it being the MPU. Had one years ago with the same error and it was the mpu. Good luck

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
I don't have a bill feed mechanism - just a basic quarter mechanism without a comparitor (see pic). In that case, all I'll need to do is take my old chips out and pop'em in the new MPU and I'm good to go (hopefully). I'll get the MPU on order and let you guys know how it goes.  :mail_2:

- Kenny

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
I have the tested bards available, however, I may not be the cheapest date in town...

http://www.centralvalleyslots.com/igt-s--splus-mpu-main-board-10mhz--tested-worki10.html

Roz :wave:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:46:06 PM by CVslots »

Offline jkp1300

• Every day is a gift!
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »
PM sent CV

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:24 PM »
I have the tested bards available, however, I may not be the cheapest date in town...
Roz :wave:

But the one most fun ?!!  :magic:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal