New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT S+ coin optic problem  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Mark H

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Mark H New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT S+ coin optic problem
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
New to this board, so please bear with me.

I picked up a 1996 IGT S+ from a guy on a whim.  It was working OK, but he said he moved it across his garage and it wouldn't accept coins after that.  He said "probably a loose wire, but I don't want it anymore".  So I picked it up for $50.

After getting it home, a couple days later I had error code 12.  So in doing research, I replaced the battery.  Error code went away, but comparator was still not working.  I reset the machine and now the comparator is working and accepting coins, but no credits are registering.  The reels spin and I get a 0 in the coins as if it's ready, it takes the quarters, but no credits.

I opened up the door and pushed the white button on the coin optics.  It registered up to 3 credits, so I know I have power.  In addition, I did the cardboard test, and that caused it to register credits.  If I hold the cardboard in long enough, I get error 21.  So the optics seem to be working with the door open.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to drop coins through the optics with the door open to see if they register.

But with the door closed, is there a setting that needs to be changed so that the optics work when the door is closed?  Or is it just that the coin is going by too fast?  Or the guide needs to be adjusted?

I apologize if I'm using the wrong terms.

When this is done, it will be a great addition to my man cave, which currently has pool table, big screen TV, leather chairs, surround sound, stainless steel bar, refrigerator and sports memorabilia.

Thanks for your help!!!

Mark H
Fort Worth, TX

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: IGT S+ coin optic problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
Welcome to NLG!

There's several possibilities, you've gone thru some of them and been reading about your machine, that's good!

When you replaced the battery on the main logic board (called the "mpu" board) did you see any signs of battery damage to the board? That stuff can cause intermittent and odd failures. Although it isn't likely to be what's going on here you need to be aware of it to avoid other problems.

When you press the small white button and it puts credits on the machine that is good, means a lot of the circuitry is working. After putting credits on the machine this way you should be able to press the Spin button and play. I think they call these "pseudo credits", it is used for testing purposes. This part working but not getting credits by inserting a coin from the front of machine points to a problem in the coin acceptance area. Since your coin comparitor doesn't reject the inserted coins back to the front tray I agree that your comparitor is accepting the coin. Was the machine possibly converted to nickel coin use and the coin optics are still setup for quarter or larger coin? If so the smaller coin may be dropping thru the coin optics without actually being seen. In between the coin optic boards is a plastic guide to steer the inserted coin so it properly passes by the optic sensors. If this guide is missing or the wrong one that may be your problem, something to consider. When you get a machine that's new to you and no telling what people have done to it in the past then everything is a possibility. I'd carefully remove the coin optics boards, see what it looks like in there. Post photos if you aren't sure and have questions, or post some anyway, we like seeing photos.

If you can post pictures of the inside of your main door showing the coin acceptor/coin comparitor area that will help people here to know better what you have. Not all machines are the same, even if they are the same model.

I don't think there is a setting for coinless operation that can turn-off the coin optics, others here will help with that question. But if there was I'd think the coin would get returned to the front tray instead of the machine letting it drop thru to hopper. The settings available on your machine will depend on the eprom software chips installed, post a photo of your mpu board showing the large socketed chips so we can read the labels, that will determine what settings and preference options you have.

By the way, $50 for a parts-complete S+ is a good deal in my book, good job.    :cool_thumb_up:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:12:22 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal