New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S+ Slant top help  (Read 3065 times)

Offline jacobnbr1

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • jacobnbr1 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
S+ Slant top help
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »
Hello,

I was looking for a little help on a slant top s+ reel machine.

I loaded this baby up at a landfill and took it home and found the battery had leaked and ate the board, ss and sp chips. No problem I put a board in it and got the ss and sp chips from a vendor then did the resets and got her going.
The problem is the payout line... I think..  well..  I know the ss chip was a ss3817 and I replaced it with a ss6198 not knowingly that its probably for an upright.

My 1st question is: Am I thinking correct or is there something else I can do that changes the game play for the payout line?

My 2nd question is: Is there a place for a guy that can download the correct .bin file and program it to the eeprom?

I was able to clean the pins on the sp708 chip and get a good read and save but the ss chip is a no go.

Thanks for all who reply.

chris

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: S+ Slant top help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »
Welcome to NLG!   :wave: :waving_flag:

When you ordered new SS and SP chips why didn't you replace the bad SS3817 chip with another SS3817? That way it would be the correct chip for your machine's reel strips & glass. Having the wrong SS chip in the machine will cause the payouts to not match the symbols on the reel strips that you see on the payline at the end of a spin. And the payouts won't match the payouts shown on the award glass. The SS chip is specific to the game in the machine, so it needs to be for the same game as the reel strips & glass. If you want to change the payout win percentage then you can pick another SS chip that is one of the ones listed for the game, shown in the chart below:

The SS3817 is for the following Double Diamond game:
http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%202CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Double%20Diamond%20(2%20Coin%20Multiplier).htm

The SS6198 is for the following games:
http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%202CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Double%20Double%20Dollar%20(2%20Coin%20Multipl.htm

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%202CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Black%20Widow%20(2%20Coin%20Multiplier).htm

You can obtain the SS3817 chip from various sources here on NLG and elsewhere on the internet, they are low-cost. The NLG website itself doesn't get involved with bin files due to concerns about copyright laws. Also, I don't think it matters if you have an upright or a slant top, the same SS chip is used in both styles of machines that have same game installed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:05:00 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
Thats just it. I wasnt aware there was a difference.  I assumed that a double diamond was a double diamond and never took in consideration that the payline is at a different angle.

You saying I can use any chip in this chart you posted? 

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%202CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Double%20Diamond%20(2%20Coin%20Multiplier).htm

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:20:56 PM by knagl »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »
That's what I'm wondering about, why did you order an SS6198 instead of an SS3817? The SS6198 is not for a Double Diamond.

That viewing angle is taken care of by the special reel bases that are used in a slant top. They are different from the ones used in an upright. But the reel strips and the SS chip are the same. So you don't have to take into account that the machine is a slant-top when choosing the SP or SS chips, the same chips work in both a slant-top and an upright machine.

I think the problem with your payouts not matching the glass or the strips is because you installed the wrong SS chip. The machine being a slant top vs upright doesn't have anything to do with the payout errors you are seeing, provided the reels in the machine are the correct slant-top type of reels.

Yes, if the glass on your machine matches the glass shown in that chart then those are the SS chips you can choose from for your machine. Doesn't matter if it is slant-top or upright, the same SS chips are used for Double Diamond 2cm games.

Can you post a couple of photos of your machine, so we can be sure what you have? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:46:37 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »
The vendor I bought the ss6198 chip from said it was for a double diamonds game. I knew the numbers didn't match but assumed there was a firmware update or something.

Guess I will try and track down an ss3817.  I googled that and found no results other than NLG library.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
You can place a WTB (WantToBuy) request here on NLG for free and someone with the chip will contact you. Also, some of the vendors on the NLG homepage possibly have the chip. If no one here has one they are available from internet slot machine dealers and parts places.

As long as you are ordering one do you want one from that DD chart that has a higher player win percentage? The SS3817 is a 95% chip, you can see in the chart that other SS chips are higher and lower than this.

The person you got the SS6198 from, not sure why they thought it was for a Double Diamond game. That wasn't your mistake, it was theirs. Since they made a mistake maybe they would send you the SS3817 to make things right?

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »
The ss6198 is for a double double diamond not a double diamond. That's the problem...

Going to contact the vendor.

Thank you

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:03:20 PM »
The ss6198 is for a double double diamond not a double diamond. That's the problem...

Going to contact the vendor.

Thank you

Hopefully they will take care of it for you. If they don't have the SS3817 you can pick any other SS chip from that Double Diamonds 2coin chart.

Lucky find on that machine, I guess someone gave up on it because of the bad mpu board. Good job saving it and getting it running!

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 11:25:57 PM »
You saying I can use any chip in this chart you posted? 

Almost.

If you had SS3817, as you can see in that list it uses "AAA" reel strips. That means that all three reel strips are identical. You can not use any of the chips in that list that do not use "AAA" strips, as the software will not match the symbols on your reel strips.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Almost.

If you had SS3817, as you can see in that list it uses "AAA" reel strips. That means that all three reel strips are identical. You can not use any of the chips in that list that do not use "AAA" strips, as the software will not match the symbols on your reel strips.

I missed that, thanks for catching it!

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
They are sending me a new chip. I was able to get a read on the old one. I got some photos.

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Will I have to run another ram clear when I change from the ss6198 to the original ss3817? and what about the sp708 that came paired with the ss6198 do I need to change that to a different version?

Thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
The SP708 chip is what the original SP chip was in the game, along with the SS3817 chip, right? So it should be ok. Some of the newer SP chips might have some features or settings that you like, someone may make a recommendation on that. You will want to use an SP chip that is compatible with Type 0 games since your Double Diamond game is a Type 0. Also, some SP chips are for the 16mhz mpu board and not for the older 10mhz mpu board. The 10mhz mpu has the round blue volume adjust knob, the 16mhz does not.

According to this the SP708 supports "Game Types" 0,1,4,5 & 12. The "ID022" mentioned is for the bill validator comm spec.
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=303.0

Since your Double Diamond is a Type 0 game then the SP708 will work. (the game type number is shown just below the name of the game):

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:54:07 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »
Good job on attaching some connection legs to those damaged chips and reading them.  :cool_thumb_up:

I don't know if a Clear process will be needed after switching the SS chips, but I don't think it will. You can install the new chips and see how the machine acts.

Do you have the Clear and Set chips if they are needed?

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 03:04:57 PM »
I attached the wires to get a read on the old chip and then wrote a copy to another chip and now I get error 62-1. Not sure if I need to ramclear or the data from the read is corrupt. As bad as the chip is I'm inclined to believe the data was corrupt although my eprom tool said good and verified.

I do have a ram clear set.

Still waiting on the new chip to get here.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
Is the checksum written on the label for the old SS chip? If so you can compare that to what you got when you made the backup copy. The error 62-1 does relate to a bad eprom, so you may be right. If just one of those reattached leads is flaky or not making contact then you wouldn't be reading the eprom contents properly.

I think when your eprom tool says the data is ok and verified that just means the data it pulled out of the eprom and stored in the eprom tool's memory buffer verifies with what the data in the eprom is, as it reads it at that time. That's not the same as verifying the data is correct against a known-good eprom or file. If the data wasn't read out of the eprom correctly then the buffer file in the eprom tool (and the binary backup file you create) would have that same corrupt data and when the verify was done it would match what is read from the eprom the second time when the verify is done. Hope that makes sense?   

If you have a Clear chip you can try doing a Clear, but then you'll probably need to go thru the menu steps and make some changes to some settings that get changed back to their default setting by the Clear chip. Sometimes that is ok, sometimes it is a pain.

Might be best to wait for your new chips, then see how the machine acts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:38:25 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
Yea I think I strongly agree with you on waiting for the new chip.

Right now I'm just playing with the eprom tools.

Going to run the code through "Rom Ident" and see if I get any hits. If no then the data is likely garbage. Its also possible the code is right but the chip didn't survive the UV erase.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »

Did the old SS chip label have the cksum written on it?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:08:38 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline jacobnbr1

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
I get this when I run it. Not sure what any of that means. LOL

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 03:55:38 PM »
Those are all "rom signature" numbers, what is commonly called the checksum, in hex (hexadecimal). There are different math ways to compute a checksum, some methods are meant to give better security or ability to detect bad data. They listed the checksum result for the file using the various popular methods. The last one listed "7880" is the common checksum most hobbyists use.

But to use this info in the chart you'd have to know what the original chip checksum is, and that would come from the label on the chip, or comparing it to another identical good chip, or to a file that is known to be a good copy of the eprom contents. 

I don't think the MAME websites have eprom data for IGT S+ software, do they? I've seen PE+ software, but not S+.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal