New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need help reviving Game King  (Read 291 times)

Offline phurst

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • phurst New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Need help reviving Game King
« on: December 05, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »
Hello all!

I recently picked up a Game King (my first) that I'm trying to put back into service. It's had a bit of a rough life I believe. I know for sure its last coule of owners had no idea what it was, or what they were doing, if they even did anything to it. It was definitely passed around as a "commodity", like "Bubba gave it to me for fixin his truck, and Bubba got it from Tom for some tools and a box of steaks.", etc. The gentleman I picked it up from was storing it on a pallet, under a tarp, outside. He had never even turned it on. Needless to say, I got it for extremely cheap. It powers on fine, and after a couple of rounds of RAM and EEPROM errors and the reset key, and replacing the battery, I'm down to the last few errors. It's got an 044 board, and is running GK003372. I've got a key chip on the way, but I suspect I still have some hurdles to jump before I can even use that. The errors currently presenting themselves are:
Coin-in Jam
Touch screen communication failure

I've done a little looking around the site, but haven't found a whole lot regarding these errors.

The coin comparator was unplugged when I got the machine (as was literally everything in the top. Light, speakers, candle, printer, fan, etc.) Perhaps someone previous was troubleshooting the same error? As far as I can tell, the comparator doesn't do anything currently. The LED doesn't light up or blink, there are no sounds, and I don't believe the coin reject relay is puling in (if it's even supposed to).

As far as the touch screen, the only suggestion I found here was that the controller is a netplex device along with the printer and bill validator, and to disconnect both to see if that makes any difference. It doesn't. I'm not even sure where the touch screen controller is. It's a CRT machine, and I thought perhaps it would be behind the monitor somewhere, but I haven't worked out how to remove it yet. I have a PE+ poker machine with a CRT and that just pulls right out. The Game King doesn't seem to be the same. I pulled a little, but nothing moved, so I didn't want to keep yanking.

Any advice on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated. I suspect there will be more problems and questions as I go along, like the fact that none of the buttons lights, up. I find it hard to believe they ALL have burned out bulbs, so I'm expecting trouble there too, not to mention getting everything set up in a way that makes sense for the way I'd like to use the machine. Those are questions for after these though, so we'll cross those bridges as we come to them.

Thanks!

Offline phurst

• NLG
Re: Need help reviving Game King
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 04:03:51 PM »
Made some progress today. After reading a few more posts on here, I reseated the IO board in the door, which seems to have resolved the Coin-in error. I also reseated the one in the cabinet, though I see there is room for another card. Should there be two in the cabinet?

I also got the monitor out, and reseated the connection to the touch screen controller, but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything. So, open to suggestions for the touch screen issue.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 04:38:23 PM »
If you have a second row of buttons on the button deck then you should have two I/O cards.  If you just have a single row then one.

As far as the Touchscreen Comm Failure error it sounds like you've done the basic stuff (disconnecting other netplex devices).  There's really only a few things left that could be the cause.  The touchscreen controller on the monitor, the motherboard, the MPU board, or the cabling between them.  I'd trace the wiring back from the touch screen controller to the motherboard and make sure it hasn't been damaged.  Check the MPU connectors for a bent pin, and beyond that you really need to swap something out to determine if it's good or bad.

Offline phurst

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:26:07 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the answers and advice. I do indeed have two rows of buttons so I need another card. I see the connectors for the two cards are different sizes, so I need a different card than the one that's there. Is there a particular part number or some other way to identify the card I need? Is there a go-to place to get one, as well as a touch screen controller?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 08:37:57 PM »
I'd check with Jim at Midwest slots. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal