New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: BB3/Blade never changes into graphics mode (blue background) from text  (Read 559 times)

Offline surg30n

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • surg30n New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Hello all! I am hoping someone can help with an issue I am having.

I have a BB3/Blade that most of the time will start properly and when it does the Linux boot text shows properly but when it is supposed to switch to graphics mode/blue background I loose all video (no signal, displays go into power save mode). I have already had the MPU and/or video card swapped (sent the whole MPU in) for the same reason shortly after I bought the cabinet, so I went ahead and bought a whole new MPU with everything (but JUR and BIOS) and swapped that in and that still had trouble. I have tried swapping the video cards between the MPUs with little success. Can someone tell me what is going on when it tries to switch to graphics mode that makes it fail while it works in text mode? In searching the forums there is a lot about the video cards being prone to failure, but what is the repair method for these failures?

If it matters, the backlight on the touchscreen/primary display also went bad, I can see the text when shining a light on it so I would think the MPU sees the monitor correctly. Any help on how to fix/replace the backlight would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: BB3/Blade never changes into graphics mode (blue background) from text
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 03:08:31 PM »
Do you have a spare power supply?  The system will draw more power once the the graphics mode engage, your power supply might be borderline.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline surg30n

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 03:18:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have a spare power supply for the cabinet, but do have ATX computer power supply, though I doubt the wiring is compatible. I had tested the voltages (5, 3.3, 12) on the MPU when I turned on the machine, but can keep testing them through when the video mode changes to see if any drop off.

Would there happen to be a wiring diagram for converting an ATX power supply?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 06:26:53 PM »
You should be able to source a power supply, they are not that expensive.  The power supply is the same as the ones used on the bb2 cabinets.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline surg30n

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:04:00 PM »
I was able to get another power supply but I have the same problem. In addition, sometimes the machine doesn't even start as in the initial screen with WMS logo and specs of the computer/drives won't show. I have to turn it off an back on a couple times before that initial screen will show and then continue to boot, but then the machine never switches over to graphics mode. Any other thoughts on what can be causing this?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 03:19:32 PM »
When it just hangs in the "text mode" what is displayed on the screen. Also usually when the machine doesn't POST (WMS logo, etc), it is an mpu issue.  If the mpu is good, as long as it is getting the power from the aux power connector on the side, it will POST.

Offline surg30n

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 04:35:48 PM »
When it fails to go to graphics mode/launch X Server does the entire Linux boot process but then it says something about GMBUS time out falling back to bitbang a dozen times and then the screen goes blank and the monitors lose signal. I bought another whole MPU with video card and have swapped the MPUs entirely and even each video card around to the other MPUs with no luck. In one of the configurations I couldn't get it to POST at all not matter how many times I turned it off and back on.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »
Do you know for sure that the MPU or graphics cards you are getting are in known working order?  It still sounds like you have video card issue.  A failing to POST MPU is probably a bad Adastra board (the daughtercard that cointains the CPU/RAM).

Offline surg30n

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 07:16:33 PM »
I acquired another MPU (with video card) that supposedly works yet I cannot get it to work in my machine. I setup a bench test area with spare backplane, spare power supply, and power harness and dvi computer monitor and cannot get any combination of these MPUs and video cards to seemingly display on the DVI output. I have reseated all the tings I can (Adastra board, RAM, video card, BIOS, etc). Most combinations will output a VGA signal (which cannot be seen in the cabinet unless I hook up a monitor on the floor) that shows the system booting. Even without the VGA I can see the LEDs flashing on SSD and CF cards so I know it is loading. Am I that unlucky that I have 3 bad video cards? What else can I do to diagnose what the problem is? Will the machine not display anything if both monitors are not hooked up or if they are not the type in the cabinet? What about with the VGA connected?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 12:09:09 AM »
In all this, I've forgotten to ask, what exactly are you trying to run on this.  Provide game Program ID and OS card information.  I'm assuming you are running a clear before you have tried to install a game?

Offline surg30n

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 09:12:21 PM »
Finally got the part I needed. Yup, I did run a clear before each of the games I tried. The one I was trying specifically to load was Wily Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (S9C4) and OS is 4069. The issue ultimately ended up being that I needed a new video card. I went through 3 of them from various eBay sales (either in a MPU or by itself) and no combination would work. I finally found a new one for sale and that did the trick. Now I have almost enough spare parts (even after returning items) to build another machine! Needed a new touch screen monitor since the backlight went out in the original (the caps were bad, but replacing them hasn't helped, will need to work more on tht). Built power supply wiring harnesses and meter delete plug as well. Maybe I will build a desktop BB2 to have some variety of games. :)

Does anyone know a place to get these video cards repaired? Seems a shame for how much they are and how they make the entire machine useless without them.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal