New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How do I identify the manufacture of an Eprom?  (Read 19537 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 268
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
How do I identify the manufacture of an Eprom?
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
I'm trying to use my new EasyPRO 80B. I need to read a chip but to read a chip you need to know who makes it. There's rows of numbers and a big "i" on it. I assume that's an Intel but none of the rows of numbers match up with any chips listed. This is a game chip for a Bally Game maker that I'm trying to read, for educational purposes!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:06:18 AM by Ron (r273) »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: How do I identify the manufacture of an Eprom?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »
Dude can't you get into something easier like "like stamp collecting" ?    :Scratch-Head:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline UNIMAN

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 137
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:51:41 PM »
Does the software that comes with the program have an icon labeled "ID".?

My GQ2 has that and I select ID and the software tells me what it is.

Logically you should not need to know who manufactured it for reading purposes. For writing to the eprom you should know as there are different voltages used to write depending on manufacture.

Offline mustangjeep

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • mustangjeep New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »
Here's a link to a site showing this as an Intel 68x6048

http://cpushack.com/chippics/EPROM/27512/Intel68X6048-PI-A-A.html

Kinda strange, I tried looking that number up in my eprom reader and I can't find a listing for it.
It's never let me down in it's list, it's pretty complete but maybe this is an oddball???

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:17:59 PM »
I think it is the equivalent of a 27512 eprom.  If you peel the label back some more do you find out that there is not a window for erasing? If no window then it isn't an eprom, would be a prom. But it probably does have a window. I think it is the same as a 27512 eprom but with custom part number markings by Intel for some reason. (Intel and AMD used to make chips for private label to IBM and they would mark them using the IBM specified part number).

If your eprom burner works with 27512 then you can set it for that and should be able to read it.

As to the topic name of your post, the manufacturer is Intel.
Below are a few of the popular chip manufacturer's logos.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:02:52 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline UNIMAN

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 137
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
Yes, that is an oddball. Try looking for datasheet for it!! I did and couldn't find it.
Did find as posted it is 27512 compatible.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:23:50 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I just tried selecting INTEL 27512 and get "device ID don't match."
I also tried 275c12 and got the same thing...

My software doesn't have anything that says ID, that I can see.
It does have the window for erasing.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
Does your setup let you select manufacturer "IBM" ?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
Does your setup let you select manufacturer "IBM" ?

No IBM there... BUT I did just uncheck "Check ID's Valid" and it seemed to do something! I'm totally a newbie at this. I think it read the blackjack chip because I was able to save a hex file that was about 128kb... heck is that too small? I think I wrote that on the blank chip. I'm just going to stick it in and see if it works!

UPDATE:
FAIL!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
The 27512 chip is actually a 64kb x 8 bit wide memory. The "512" part of the part number refers to the total number of bits that are stored. Since most system organize the data into 8 bits then the number of stored data bytes is 64k.

Not sure why your programmed chip didn't work. When you read the 68X6048 chip you had your programmer set to 27512, right?  Do you think the 27512 chip has the right speed rating?

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »
There was two selections D27C512 and D27S512
I think I picked the first one... I can try the second and see.
I'm still not understanding the steps of this "Easy" pro80B...it's not very easy to use, so far.
Oh... sorry... the file size was 184kb. I'm getting tired.

I also can't find any "erase" feature on this. Supposedly the 4 chips I bought were erased but I'm not sure. I'll try a different chip.

Offline mustangjeep

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • mustangjeep New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:08:18 PM »
On my programmer if I deselect the " check ID" then the checksum numbers won't match on burnt chips.
I'm fairly new to this also but with the chip you tested for working look at the chechsum numbers and make sure they match the originals.
There should be a spot in your program for looking at that.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »
I'm still not understanding the steps of this "Easy" pro80B...it's not very easy to use, so far.

I also can't find any "erase" feature on this. Supposedly the 4 chips I bought were erased but I'm not sure. I'll try a different chip.
Since we believe that the 68X6048 is equivalent to a 27512 then the storage capacity of the chip is 64k. So when you read it with the programmer and save the file it should be 64k in size. When you save the file does your programmer software let you set the buffer size or some other parameter?

Your eproms you bought probably are erased because if they weren't your programmer should have given you an error. Unless it has "blank device check" disabled in the settings.

On an eprom with a window you can't erase them with the programmer, takes UV light shining thru the window for 20-30 minutes. The chips that are eeprom are the type that can be electrically erased. You would need to get a little UV eprom eraser to erase the eproms with windows.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:06:14 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
On my programmer if I deselect the " check ID" then the checksum numbers won't match on burnt chips.
I'm fairly new to this also but with the chip you tested for working look at the chechsum numbers and make sure they match the originals.

I'm kind of lost here... If I uncheck that ID box, it acts like it's reading the good chip. If I keep it selected, I get an error.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »

Since we believe that the 68X6048 is equivalent to a 27512 then the storage capacity of the chip is 64k. So when you read it with the programmer and save the file it should be 64k in size.

Your eproms you bought probably are erased because if they weren't your programmer should have given you an error.

On an eprom with a window you can't erase them with the programmer, takes UV light shining thru the window for 20-30 minutes. The chips that are eeprom are the type that can be electrically erased. You would need to get a little UV eprom eraser to erase the eproms with windows.

They were supposed to be erased but the seller goofed up the order amount... I was supposed to get 9 and they only "could find 4" so they say.
I ordered that exact eraser a couple days ago from, where else, a Chinese ebay seller. I'm expecting to see it in a couple days!  :rotfl:
Actually I've been getting stuff from China in usually under 10 days.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »

I'm kind of lost here... If I uncheck that ID box, it acts like it's reading the good chip. If I keep it selected, I get an error.

I haven't used your particular programmer but the way they usually work is this:  To avoid possibly damaging a chip the programmer reads the ID of the chip and checks to see if that info matches what you have selected as the chip manufacturer and part number before it does anything else. If it doesn't match it gives an error.

The programmer allows you to bypass that ID check if you want to, sometimes there are good reasons for doing so. When reading the chip it isn't very dangerous to the chip, it only applies power and ground to the chip then reads each memory location in the chip and stores that data in memory in your computer (or in the programmer on big commercial models). But when programming the chip the programmer has to apply the burn voltage to a certain pin and those voltages vary from chip to chip and with different manufacturers. That's why the programmer is careful about the ID.

Some programmers will read the chip ID and tell you what it is. If yours doesn't do that then you won't be able to read that 68X6048 chip unless you uncheck the box for verify ID, unless you somehow make it happy with the mfr and device number selection (Intel 27512 or other compatible setting). Do you have other device numbers in the programmer software that are similar to 27512, like 27512A ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:27:09 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 10:48:21 PM »
There was two selections in reading the Intel chip - D27C512 and D27S512.
I have a feeling these just weren't erased. The seller stated "refurbished" but now I'm wondering. There's not much refurbishing to do on a pulled IC so I assumed it meant erasing.
What's that saying about "assume?"  :rotfl:
I'm hoping those new chips will arrive soon so I can try this.
I put the Blackjack game chip back in and it works fine...  :applause:

Can I just put those other chips out in the sunlight all day tomorrow? Would that erase them?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
There was two selections in reading the Intel chip - D27C512 and D27S512.
I have a feeling these just weren't erased. The seller stated "refurbished" but now I'm wondering. There's not much refurbishing to do on a pulled IC so I assumed it meant erasing.
What's that saying about "assume?"  :rotfl:
I'm hoping those new chips will arrive soon so I can try this.
I put the Blackjack game chip back in and it works fine...  :applause:

Can I just put those other chips out in the sunlight all day tomorrow? Would that erase them?

I don't think they would erase in sunlight until many weeks had passed. The UV is just too weak. We used to put them on the window sill at work for weeks just to see and finally gave up, even after 2 months the chips still had the data and the checksums verified ok. One of our engineers joked and said if those eproms erase that way then don't go outside because you'll vaporize.

I saw that on your programmer software on the top menu there is a choice called "Device". If you click on it there is a dropdown menu and the bottom choice says "Auto select eprom". Does that properly id your 68X6048 chip? You can try it with one of the 27512 eproms to see how that function works.

I was reading about your Easypro 80B software and it saves the eprom data to a file in a format with extra information, that is why the file size is more than 64kb.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:11:10 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 11:13:06 PM »
I put the other one back in my GM but I stuck in the "new" pulled Fairchild chip which is an FM27C512QE120 as this:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »
Catalyst Semiconductor was (is??) an ic company out in California in the 1980's. Maybe they and Fairchild are related but I don't know why it would say 27128 instead of 27512.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:03:02 AM by rokgpsman »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal