New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGame Rainbow Key Chip Problem  (Read 553 times)

Offline scottf11961

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • scottf11961 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGame Rainbow Key Chip Problem
« on: February 26, 2024, 05:53:11 AM »
Once again, I turn to the experts.  Picked up a machine over the weekend. I was told that it did work fine, then the battery died, and it sat since. Maybe 3-4 months. The guy removed some cash that was in the cashbox, so it did work at some point when he had it. It booted all the way up to the main screen ( after the usual ram errors, key turns, and button pressing). It did indeed have a main battery issue. Took it home, set it up, and tried key 22. I got a rainbow looking screen. Checked all the pins, checked placement of the chip, all looked good. Tried again making sure mpu was seated snug in machine. Same thing. Took out key 22, put in key 40. Tried again..same result. I can't get into the key chip menu to adjust the settings. This machine has a 3902 board. I am familiar with Game King boards, and have 2 other machines that have the 044 boards, and never had this issue.  I have a few sets of key chips ( 40, 22), and tried all of them. Same result. What am I overlooking here? I'm able to get into the menu, and everything else is good, touch screen works. I can poke around at other menu items, just can't get into the key chip. I also noticed this board never had a varta battery. I've never seen that before. Not that it matters. He said it did play fine, and varta isn't needed for home use anyway.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I took some pictures.  It has a audio card that I removed for picture purposes

Offline sandelslover

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • sandelslover New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: IGame Rainbow Key Chip Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 07:22:32 AM »
That's called confetti screen based on previous threads.
  • Check the power supply voltages.
  • Make sure the chip is installed correctly (check the notch).
  • Make sure that all the pins of the chip are in place!
  • Make sure the chip is working.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 07:39:15 AM »
Just to be sure I understand.  You can get the machine to boot with the original base chip installed, but not the keychips? 

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 08:13:09 AM »
Correct. It boots up to the mainscreen of the game, and shows coin-in, main battery, and varification required. 

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 08:50:07 AM »
Well it would appear that the problem is with your keychips then.  Key 22 is the proper key for you software.  Have you used them before?  Do they work in a different machine?

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 09:00:28 AM »
I agree with Tilt...Key 22 is the right chip for your MPU board.

I don't like that "Coin-In Jam" error tho.
If your Keychips work in another cabinet, but not in this one, there's a couple of things I would try...>>>

1). Start over: Erase everything with a Clear224 chip and re-Keychip22.
2). If that doesn't work, send the MPU circuit board out to Lookes, and see if he can take a look at it.

I had a couple "Coin-In Jams" on i-Game MPU's I could never get past....in your case, you can't even get the Keychip to work as normal.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 09:07:08 AM »
Coin-in jam is most likely because it's coinless, but the comparitor is enabled in software and it doesn't have a bypass plug in place.  Can't fix that until you can get into the key menu to disable it.

You don't use clear 224's on an I-game, those are for S2000's.  Key 22 has a built in menu that allows you to clear it, but again you can't do that until you can access the keychip menu.

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 09:13:29 AM »
Yes, key chip works in other machines. I have a few 22s and 40s. All work in other machines, but won't work in this one

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 09:23:22 AM »
oh yeah...I forgot about that.
So without being able to Keychip it to do a Clear, his mpu is screwed?

Is there a CMOS he can ground out?
Or an 8-pin socketed backplane chip he can swap out?

What about swapping out MPU into another cabinet to see if he can get the Keychip to work there?

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 09:27:26 AM »

It's odd that the keychip works in other machines, but not in this one, yet it works with the base chip.  Try putting this MPU in another machine and see if it will key in it.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 10:05:56 AM »
A bad 8-pin backplane chip will screw things up too.

Offline RivieraDanny

• RivieraDanny New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • pokerchipper.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 10:06:08 AM »
 :I_agree_1:
Coin-in jam is most likely because it's coinless, but the comparitor is enabled in software and it doesn't have a bypass plug in place.  Can't fix that until you can get into the key menu to disable it.

You don't use clear 224's on an I-game, those are for S2000's.  Key 22 has a built in menu that allows you to clear it, but again you can't do that until you can access the keychip menu.

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 10:15:08 AM »
The battery error went away, but without a key chip, I can't shut the hopper off.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 12:28:18 PM »
Here's where your other machine may help you fix this one.
Stick this MPU in another machine, then try to Key it.
Disable the hopper there, then move the MPU back into the problem cabinet and try to Key it again.

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 12:39:15 PM »
Ones a game king,the other is coyote moon. Both have 044 boards. This is my first machine..ever..that has a 3902. I don't have a spare board. (Yet)

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 12:46:01 PM »
oh okay...different backplanes.
3902's has different sockets.

I don't know...either wait for a spare board to swap the software into, or send this out to get checked out.

Offline RivieraDanny

• RivieraDanny New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • pokerchipper.com
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 01:26:20 PM »
did you change the battery??   Check the orientation of the chips etc...    Try and re seat the 022 chip...   Maybe a bad board or came chip....   Re seat all the chips!  Try everything once!! LOL!

You never know, it doesn't work now anyway

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 04:50:16 PM »
Ok, first of all Coin-in jam is the comparitor like I said.  It needs to either be disabled in software or have a bypass jumper on the harness that goes to it or you will get a coin-in jam error without a comparitor installed, period, full stop!  A coin-out jam would be the hopper.  You don't have that error.

The machine is not booting with your Keychip installed.  That's why you have a gray pixelated screen.  If you look at the MPU the red LED is most likely blinking too when it's sitting there with a gray screen correct?  The backplane eeprom has absolutely nothing to do with it not booting to the keychip menu and if it was bad or corrupt you would get an EEPROM error on the screen.  You don't don't that, it's not the problem.

If your other machines are 044s how do you know your Key 22 is good?  Are you running legacy software with a legacy adapter board installed?

Offline scottf11961

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 06:48:05 PM »
You are correct, with key 22 installed, it goes right to the rainbow confetti screen, and the red light on the mpu is blinking. I tried 3 different key 22s, and a couple of 40s with the same result. I have no way to verify the keys are good, but 6 different ones are bad? Not likely. I did not try key 28 because it's not for that. Without being able to get into the settings,  it will not let me disable the hopper. Pushing the screen to disable the hopper does nothing.  I can disable the printer and bill validator,  but not the hopper.

On a side note, this machine was a coin machine at one point, and the coin comparitor harness and optics are still there, but there is a bypass connector on it. The actual coin comparitor is not attached. Still wouldn't explain why I can't key the machine

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 07:15:40 PM »
You wouldn't think so, but everything is pointing at just that and they can't be ruled out if you can't test them. Turn the machine on with no base chip installed and see what you get (I already know, it's for your benefit). You can pull all the game software off the MPU board and just install the keychip and it will boot to the keychip menu.  I doesn't need GMEs, PXLs, or CGFs installed to do that (but of course you need them for the game software to boot).  So if you are installing it correctly and I'm sure you are, but it doesn't boot to the menu then it must be bad.  The original base chip works in that same socket and the MPU boots all the software up to the game so that all appears to be good.  I'll send ya a tested working keychip for it if you want to give it a try.  A thanks for being a contributing member.  Just PM me an address.

Here's a couple of pictures of the comparitor wiring harness connector and the bypass plug.  In the center of the first picture you can see where my comparitor is plugged into the machine harness.  In the second picture there's one not plugged into the comparitor and the bypass plug in place.  If you have a bypass plug and it's plugged in then you may have a problem with I/O card or the MPU.  With the bypass plug in place you don't need to disable the comparitor in the game software as the machine thinks it's there with the plug in place.  It's only if you don't have don't have the comparitor or the bypass plug in place that you need to disable it.  This is for the Coin-in Jam error message only.  The keychip and this error are not related.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal