New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Williams 400 Jackpot Party not working  (Read 4059 times)

Offline dale

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • dale New User barely matters.dale New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: Williams 400 Jackpot Party not working
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »

I have an IO board jumped for NJ, LV and a Standard. Just slip in the right IO board with the jurisdiction for what ever game you are running....

Dale

Offline Calfdemon

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Calfdemon New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »

I have an IO board jumped for NJ, LV and a Standard. Just slip in the right IO board with the jurisdiction for what ever game you are running....

Dale

That works when you are running one 40x machine.  Unfortunately, I currently have 6 of them up and running and looks like I will be getting a 7th one here shortly... lol
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:20:49 PM by Calfdemon »

Offline ucanwin

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • ucanwin New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »
Hi,
I finally got my upper and lower power supplies back from the person that was to repair them. The lower power supply seems to be okay. (I put it into my Big Bang Piggy Bankin' machine and ithe machine works the same as with the board that was in that machine). The upper power supply is in question. I put it in the Jackpot Party machine and I am getting the proper AC to the power supply. The power supply is putting out 12.42 VDC to the Dot Matrix display but it is not lighting up. The other output from the power supply to the Dot controller board is putting out only 5.13 VDC. Is that correct?

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 05:14:26 PM »
Both the DMD and the dot controller board should be getting 12v.  There is no 5v in the upper DMD can.  In the stock setup, the lower power box puts out 120v and that is what is run up to the box up top and connects to the Upper Power Supply.  The upper power supply actually converts that to 12v and then the large molex plug comes out of the upper power and splits to both the dot controller and the dmd.  That is 12v to both of those.

If you are more of a visual person, take a look at the ATX bypass mod located here:  [size=78%]http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=90.0[/size]

If you follow it and look at the pictures, there is only 12v that is run up top and the 12v source splits with one plug going to the DMD directly, and the other going to the Dot controller card.  Where are you getting the 5v from that you are measuring?  The stock upper power supply in these slots only puts out 12v.  Did you somehow mix up a lower with an upper?

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 06:10:50 PM »
I believe that the power supply in my upper unit is the right one, but then.....what do I know? NOT MUCH! The picture below shows where, and what voltage I am getting. Not getting the 12 VDC to the Dot controller board, I guess would explain why the Dot Matrix board is not lighting up.

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »
That looks like the correct power supply, but yeah, you should be getting 12v to both of those plugs.

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
Would it be okay to splice into the 12.43 VDC and connect it to the Dot controller board connection? Or, would that be another problem?

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »
That shouldn't be a problem at all.  Again, look at these pictures from the ATX power mod.  The green wire is 12v (from an ATX power supply down below) and they split that to power both the DMD and the Dot controller.  I have done this exact mod myself on some of my machines, so yes.  You can split the 12v and power both and it should work.  I have to wonder though, why you are only getting 5v from part of your upper power supply which was just rebuilt?  It makes me wonder how long you will have a good 12v from it as well. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:17:22 AM by Calfdemon »

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
Okay....here is the latest. I split the 12VDC from the upper power supply to the Dot controller board and the Dot Matrix screen. The controller board lights (both red & Green) light up. Still have Dot Fail.
Now....I took the Dot controller board, the Dot Matrix screen, the reels, the I/O & CPU boards out of the Jackpot Party machine and put all of that into my Piggy Bankin' machine. It initially comes up with Dot Fail and Calling Attendant on the Dot Matrix screen. After about 20 minutes or so, I turned the machine off and back on again.......and then.......the Jackpot Party game works like it should. So, all of the parts that I transferred from machine to machine apparently work. What in the heck is causing the initial Dot Fail on the Piggy Bankin' machine and a permanent Dot Fail when those parts are in the original Jackpot Party machine?
On the Jackpot Party, the lower power supply is new, the board below the lower supply that I exchanged for a working board from one of the people in the know on newlifegames and the repaired upper power supply should be okay, so.....now what can I do????

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
I am going to direct Fusco to look at this thread as well as he may have some other suggestions.  But from my experience, the DOT FAIL does not occur from anything to do with the lower power supply.  If the lower supply fails, you will not even get to the point where it will give you a DOT FAIL because you will have other errors before it does the display check.  So not worried about those in either machine.  The DOT FAIL usually comes from one of 3 sources with the main one being a bad upper power supply.  The other 2 being a bad dot controller (you have ruled that out) and the third being a bad DMD (you have also ruled that out).

I will say this, when the upper power supply BEGINS to go out, you can get a temporary DOT FAIL on a machine and after the upper power supply warms up some or is on for a while, a reset will make the dot fail go away.  I have that exact same thing going on right now with my Winning Streak machine and that is what you have going on with your BBPB.  I just have been too lazy to take care of it and am waiting for the upper PS to completely fail before I attack the problem.

Based on what you have done by eliminating the dot controller and the DMD as the culprits, then I think everything points at the upper power supplies in both machines.  Your BBPB machine has a failing unit and your JPP machine appears to be no bueno.  I know you are getting 12v from part of it, but there must be something going on there since you were only getting 5v from it as well.  The power may be fluctuating and not consistent which once it causes the DOT FAIL, it will not recover even if it pops back up to 12v.  The only way to get past the DOT FAIL is to do a reboot and if it is not giving a constant 12v and the machine detects that, you will get a DOT FAIL every time.

I again would suggest getting a known working (tested) upper power supply for each machine (I think Fusco has some), or do the ATX power modification that I linked to earlier.  I have done the ATX mod on some of my machines (for both lower and upper) and those machines run perfect with no issues.  But I run stock working power supplies until they die also.  Unfortunately, the stock power supplies (both upper and lower) are the weak link in these machines and they tend to go bad due to the heat they build up and the lack of any airflow where they are housed.

You can actually take an ATX power supply and place it in the top behind the DMD (lots of space) and just run the wall plug down and plug into one of the plugs on the lower power supply.  Then just take a 12v connector from the ATX and use it to supply a 12v source to both your dot controller and your DMD.  Bypass your upper PS completely.  This way you can see for cheap ($20 or so) if that resolves your problem.  If it does (and it most likely will), then you know your upper PS is bad.  You don't need to use the ATX to replace your lower PS if that is working fine.   But just know that the ATX box (if you get a 300w or higher) can replace both your lower and upper PS if you need it to and you can do it all with one power supply.  Its really not that hard to do and is well documented.  Just an option...   Some like to always try and run stock power supplies and that is fine too.  Just understand the eventual issues with them.

If you decide to do this, here is the ATX box I have bought and used with success and this has enough juice to run both the upper and lower if needed. Just letting you know so you can get something that is known to work...   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I55JVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:00:52 AM by Calfdemon »

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 05:35:11 PM »
I just discovered an original good working  spare upper power that I purchased from Bill Briney some time ago, that I forgot that I had. I checked it, and it puts out 13 VDC to the dot controller and also 13 VDC to the dot matrix screen. Still comes up DOT FAIL!

Well, I guess that is another thing to rule out as bad. What is left?

I also need another upper power supply and the harness from the upper power supply to the dot controller and dot matrix screen, and could also use a speaker for my Williams High Speed slot, if anyone has spares.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:59:29 PM by ucanwin »

Offline dale

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
Are you absolutely sure that the lower power is good? Dot fail is an indication of lower. Power supply failure.

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Dale has a lot more experience here than I do, so I could very well be wrong with stating earlier that it wasn't the lower.  I have never had a DOT FAIL due to a lower PS so I was speaking from my experience.

Dale, the lower supplies the upper with 120v which then is converted to 12v by the upper, right?  So if the lower isn't giving the proper voltage initially you could get a DOT FAIL?  That is the only scenario I could see involving the lower unless I am missing something?  I want to figure this out too so I can learn from it... lol

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 04:54:37 PM »
For what it's worth, when I bought my WMS 40x machine, it had a "DOT FAIL" error, and the dot matrix display (DMD) never showed anything.  I replaced the upper power supply with a computer ATX power supply, and it fixed my issue.

Even if the DMD isn't talking to the rest of the machine, if it has power it should show a boot-up sequence with the Williams logo when power is applied.  Is your DMD showing anything when the machine is powered on and you get the "DOT FAIL" message?  If not, your upper power supply is not properly powering the DMD and its control board.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »
Both of my Williams 400 machines do come up with the Williams logo when powered up. Then I get the Dot Fail.........on both of them.
But..................the Piggy Bankin' machine will operate normally after it is left on for anywhere from 10-20 minutes. That is, after it is shut off and restarted. The Jackpot Party will show Dot Fail until the cows come home, ha!

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
I seriously think you need to consider trying the ATX power mod.  It will cost you under $30 per machine and will take you about an hour total.

If you had a working machine, then it would be a lot easier to troubleshoot your issue on the 2nd machine because you would swap 1 part at a time to see what effect that part has on the other machine.  In your case, you have 2 machines with almost the same issue.  So it is tough to say exactly what is going on with each machine because you do not have a base machine to test things on.

I will say this, your DMD and your Dot Controller appear to be working because you swapped them into your BBPB machine and got it to work.  So the issue, and this is on BOTH of your machines, is power based.  You have either a bad upper or lower power supply on each machine, maybe 2.  You keep stating that you have a known working supply or two, but what are you basing that "known working" opinion on?  You do not have a fully working machine in play to say that these are working.  This is why I am suggesting at this point to bypass both of the power supplies in one of your machines and supply power to the entire machine with and ATX box and see if that fixes your issues.  I will put money on the fact that it will.  Once you do that, you can then always get good power supplies and put them back in if that is the direction you want to go  Or you can leave it and have good power from a single source.  But at least this way, we can say 100% that your machine is working when it gets good power.  This mod is easily reversible.

Your other option is to get a tested power supply (or supplies) from a trusted member that is known to work for sure and go that route.  At this point, we cannot be sure that your power supplies are in working order without having them in a machine and knowing that machine is working without any issues.

Lets slow down just a touch and get 1 machine fully working and stop swapping parts from one to the other at this point.  Once you have 1 machine fully operational, it will be easy to diagnose the 2nd machine.  But based on everything you have done and posted, it must be a power issue in each machine.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:36:30 PM by Calfdemon »

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 07:50:07 AM »
Okay,.....I finally got two new IP-S350T1-0 ATX12 power supplies for my Jackpot Party and Big Bang Piggy Bankin' machines as suggested. I also tested both lower power supplies in my Williams High Speed machine. The High Speed machine worked with those power supplies. After installing both new upper power supplies as instructed, I still have the same problems on both machines. The BBPB machine comes up Dot Fail, and after about 15 or 20 minutes I shut it off and turn it on again...and it works. The Jackpot Party comes up Dot Fail, and never comes to life.
So, it appears that the power supplies are not the problems.

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
So you have had a working High Speed machine available the entire time and just now are mentioning it?   :banghead:

We could have eliminated the lower power supplies as the culprit earlier with that bit of knowledge by doing what you just did, testing them there.  Okay, so lower power supplies are eliminated as problems.

As for the ATX power supplies, how did you end up hooking them up?  Did you do a full upper and lower replacement, or did you just do an upper?  If your lowers are good, then just the upper is what could have been done.  Assuming you did the upper only, just verifying that you took power from the 12v hookup from the ATX (molex 4 hole straight plug) and ran it up, splitting the power to both the DMD unit and the Dot Control card, bypassing the upper PS altogether?  Can you post some pictures of your connections to both the ATX and the upper area?  Based on everything you have previously posted, this should have fixed your issues if done properly. 

We will get this figured out...  but pictures may help at this point.

Offline ucanwin

• NLG
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »
Here are the pictures that you requested.
Oh, by the way.....after I verified that the lower power supplies worked in the High Speed machine.....the dummy.... me, by accident put one of the original upper power supplies in the lower High Speed machine, and now I have 3 screwed up Williams machines. The High Speed now constantly spews out coins, the lighting on the reels is super bright and I now have no digital display. I know...I'm stupid and I'm as old as dirt.......so, maybe I'm entitled, ha!
I am laughing on the outside, but crying on the inside with all the trouble I have with these Williams machines.

Offline dale

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 05:52:34 PM »
You need to check your IO boards ....

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal