New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S+ reels 'jumpy' on startup  (Read 931 times)

Offline Bob L

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Bob L New User has no influence.
  • NLG
S+ reels 'jumpy' on startup
« on: January 12, 2024, 01:15:30 PM »
Hi, I've had an s+ double wild cherry slot for a long time and a month ago it wouldn't power up correctly.   I fixed the power connector with trifurcon connectors, and now when I start the machine, the lights come on, the bill acceptor self checks, and then all three reels do a 'jumpy' spin (moving mostly forward, but jumping backward randomly).   The reels continue this jumpy spin as long as it's powered on.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the stepper drivers.   I've resoldered some of the power connections to make sure they're ok, and I checked the resistances on the reel resistors and they look ok (465-481 ohms).  I did notice some 'browning' on the board near the three active reel resistors, and near one of the larger diodes (which I also resoldered just to be safe)  I don't have a field service manual, and would like to get one but I haven't seen anything for my 'REV C' board.  I've checked the fuses and they seem to be ok, and I'd like to check the voltages for the power, but I'm not totally sure how (I've read different things).  I have a scope and other diagnostic equipment, but I'm unsure how to proceed.   Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S+ reels 'jumpy' on startup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 02:09:23 PM »
Be honest with yourself, did you at any point, take out or push in the MPU, while the power was on?
Power surges cause flaky machine behavior, because IC components on the MPU can get zapped.
Winter static electricity arcing across fingertps to IC components do damage as well.

I've seen "jumpy" reels, but not so bad where they've spun backwards.
Only certain SP chips running with "Deluxe" Type games can make a reel spin backwards.
Think of the SP chip as your "Windows 10" operating system, but to make a reel turn backwards , it needs to run with certain SS game chips.
I can only think of the Haywire games doing exhibiting that behavior - during a bonus.
Double Wild Cherry doesn't do this.

Follow this drawing below I made years ago to check the voltages going into the motherboard power Molex.
Check by sticking your red multimeter probe (Set to vdc) into the top of the white Molex power housing, of course, with the machine's power switch ON.
Your black multimeter probe just touching cabinet metal ground.

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 02:44:09 PM »
I've never unplugged the motherboard powered on.  If you think the motherboard is the culprit, I could try to buy a matching one to replace.   There's always a chance I inadvertently touched something, but I'm generally fairly careful.   I did check all pins on the motherboard connectors and none were bent.

I checked the voltages - I don't get readings DC, but for AC pins come in at 0V, 0V, 7.8V, 8.9V, 12.6V, 12.6V.   It's interesting that the two middle legs are a bit different.

The reels generally move forward, but occasionally will stutter backward for a step.  It's not the fast spin I used to get on start up, it's a slow forward stepping with an occasional backward step.

I tried to post a video showing the behavior, but it didn't like a .mov file....

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 03:40:13 PM »
To post videos, just put them on Youtube and post the link.  :yes:
Stayouttadabunker is talking about the MPU (or CPU) board, and not the motherboard:propeller:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 04:14:25 PM »
no. its correct, one voltage is 7vac, the other is 8vac, so they are good.  sounds like you have ripple on the dc voltages on the cpu board.  tough to get to see those voltages, only way would be to extent the test points via a wire.  when the reels are locked in position, is it real easy to move them using one finger, if so then I an pretty sure you have some bad filter caps on the board, usually the large black caps.

Hope this helps

Jim 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 04:59:19 PM »
Sorry, I meant to say I have never unplugged the MPU/CPU when powered on - I've never unplugged anything in the machine while it was powered up.  Also, I meant to say that none of the pins on the CPU/MPU were bent. 

I tried uploading the video of the reels to youtube, here's a link (first time doing this, so let me know if it doesn't work).

Thanks,
    Bob
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:05:11 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 05:18:03 PM »
Jim, when I power the machine on, the reels 'snap to attention' pretty quickly and become firm.   None of the reels is easy to move (like they are when powered off).  I do have a storage oscilloscope up here, so I could look for ripple if I know the points to probe.   

FYI, I'm including a pic of the MPU board I have....

Sorry the pic is lower resolution, but when I look at the higher resolution picture, one of the 1N 5401 diodes looks a little different, and I think it's the same one that the solder looked a bit different on (I resoldered all of them).   I'm wondering if that diode has a problem.  I don't have a schematic of the CPU board so I'm not sure what it's for....

Bob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 05:39:03 PM by Bob L »

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 05:27:27 PM »
Oh wow!
Great video Bob!
I have NEVER seen reels start up like that.
They are all screwed up.
Are you sure there's no bent pins touching each other?
I'm going to bet the reel prom got corrupted or something zapped the reel drivers on the MPU.
Is the reel prom in the socket in the right direction?

The reel drivers are the four chips with heat sinks that look like butterflies (Just right of the transformer)
You'll see the empty socket for a fifth driver.
They were for some rare five reel S+ machines a long time ago.

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 06:10:39 PM »
I looked at the pins (both sets on the edge of the MPU board)  with a magnifying glass and they all looked very straight to me.  I haven't removed any chips since it was working perfectly (for years), so the chips should all be plugged in correctly.

I do see one interesting thing when I zoom in on the MPU photo - it looks like there could be some slight discoloration of the board near the butterflies of one of the chips.   It also looks like one of the 'butterflies' is near (but not touching) another solder point on the board.

I will post a zoomed photo in a bit (Waiting for photo software to update....)

Offline twinfire

• Reputation Power: 7
  • twinfire New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 06:35:05 PM »
Wow, looking at your video that thing is possessed!

After Jim’s comment about the Caps I looked at your board picture. Although the pics aren’t all that clear, two of the Caps kind of look questionable? Are the tops of the ones indicated by the yellow arrows raised at all? They should be completely flat on top.

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 06:39:46 PM »
I'm attaching a zoomed in pic of the reel chips with the discoloration. 

Is there a schematic for the REV C board version?  I'd like to see if the interesting diode has some connection as well before I order a replacement.   

Is it possible to get replacement reel chips alone, and is there any info on how to test the reel chips?  If I had some schematics, I might be able to probe at the reel plug to see how things look.   I could debug some of this stuff if I could get some documentation, but I haven't been 'reel' successful at finding any.

Bob

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 06:56:04 PM »
Hey Twinfire, the caps seem pretty flat on top when I place a straight edge across them.  Is the CR2 diode in the reel circuit?  I think that one might be questionable.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 07:01:26 PM »
You're a contributing member, you can find some schematics here:

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=downloads;cat=93

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 07:44:46 PM »
Thanks for the link Tilt!  I'll try to dig into those tomorrow.

Bob

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 09:31:54 PM »
U10 is the butterfly reel driver for the 1st left-most reel.
It looks like it's been overheated.
It looks black under the heat sinks.

What's your zip code?
Maybe I could run your MPU & reel chip on my test machine if you're not too far away?

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 10:21:43 PM »
Hey Bunker,
  I’m near Sonora, California.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2024, 09:11:53 AM »
What's your zip code?
Maybe I could run your MPU & reel chip on my test machine if you're not too far away?

I think he's a little far from you Mark.  :propeller:

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2024, 09:17:53 AM »
I've been doing some homework on the power supply and reel circuits.   It's challenging because I can't access the board while its powered up.   

I did probe L1 and L2 of the middle reel with the scope (at the reel connector), and the square waves aren't great, but I think that might be expected because it looks like the 1042 chips are being driven in half step mode, and the outputs become high impedance at times in that mode.  I've attached a picture that shows the waveforms, and it looks like they're running at 10.8 and 11.0V peak to peak, which looks like it's within the required range for the motors to be driven (i.e. the 11.5V +- 1.5V ).   I didn't check out L3 and L4, but I will check them later. 

I'm wondering if the problem is somewhere else, i.e. maybe with Vb, but I haven't been able to probe it (I did see that the solder points at CR2 looked a bit sketchy, but it looks like the diode tests ok).  I also noticed that R97 looks a bit 'crispy', but surprisingly the resistance tests ok.    I may try to solder on some test points (I can't find any test clips that are small enough).   Does anyone have any recommendations on better way to access the voltages short of having a test machine (I don't think Mark will meet me in the middle to use his test machine :-)

Has anyone ever tried partially powering the CPU board to very the function of portions of the power supply at a time?  I'm not at the location of the machine for a bit, but I do have the mpu board with me.   I'm looking for cheap ways to be able to diagnose things outside of the machine...

One last question - I'm a bit perplexed at how the power supply gives the 11.5V at Vs given the higher incoming voltage (24V AC).     Is the 5810 doing some kind of 'poor man's PWM' to keep the voltage lower?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 09:37:41 AM »
The TIP125 power transistor starts the reel power with close to 24 volts.
After the reels start spinning at 24 volts there is a 2N3904 transistor that powers the base of the TIP125 and drops the reel motor voltage (via theTIP125) to around 15 Volts to maintain the spinning.
The 24 Volts give the reel motors a boost to get them going, then that voltage is dropped down and maintains the spinning.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 09:42:01 AM »
...Is there a schematic for the REV C board version?
Is it possible to get replacement reel chips alone...

Bob,
Have you looked in the NLG File System?
There are MPU board schematic diagrams in there in the IGT Games, subcategory area.

I've tried changing the butterfly reel drivers...I've had some luck, some didn't work.
A lot of these IC components are obselete now but different places sell chips...you just have to search around.
Personally, I get a lot of stuff straight from China, but I search first at places like Mouser.com, Digi-Key, FutureLec, oh there's so many places.
China takes long so I look in the States first.
Often I just order parts, forget about it, and when it comes in, it comes in.
You would get China parts faster than me because you're on the west coast.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal