New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S+ reels 'jumpy' on startup  (Read 930 times)

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S+ reels 'jumpy' on startup
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2024, 10:05:59 AM »
that's what I said earlier in my post, you would have to extend wires from certain test points in order to measure them.

you can test +vb at the digital display board, it is present across the large electrolytic cap.C-4--15microf at 25 vdc,  the + vb should be around 10vdc.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Bob L

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Bob L New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 10:59:21 AM »
I didn't realize the file system was there - thanks for pointing it out!  I have some things that tilt gave me a link to above, but I'll dig around in the file system some more.   

I think I might be able to verify the function of the other reel chips by just probing at the reel's themselves (although they're unplugged when I'm doing that).   

Based on  BadBaud's post, I'm concerned that the reel voltages aren't high enough.   The power supply diagram says 11.5 +- 1.5 volts when high, and that's what I see (10.8V to 11V), but BadBaud says it should be more like ~24V and ~15V.   A low voltage could explain the motors 'missing' a bit.   Still, the fact that the reels spin forever makes me wonder about Vb.  It also could explain the reels trying to spin forever on startup (if the reel sensors aren't working)  Thanks for the info on where to probe Vb Jim.  I'll also be able to look at that and for ripple on the 5V once I get the probes I ordered. I'm hoping it'll just be caps or diodes and not the reel drivers, but I did see some used stepper drivers for sale if needed...

Thanks for all the info!!!     The more I learn, the more I want to get another machine :-)

Bob

Offline twinfire

• Reputation Power: 7
  • twinfire New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 05:46:38 PM »
Hi, I've had an s+ double wild cherry slot for a long time and a month ago it wouldn't power up correctly.   I fixed the power connector with trifurcon connectors, and now when I start the machine, the lights come on, the bill acceptor self checks, and then all three reels do a 'jumpy' spin (moving mostly forward, but jumping backward randomly).   The reels continue this jumpy spin as long as it's powered on.

Just curious Bob, How was it acting prior to rewiring in a new replacement connector?

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2024, 11:40:16 PM »
Here's how I repaired a S  reel driver more than once...lol...>>>

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:04:12 AM by shortrackskater »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2024, 06:51:24 AM »
Are you watching the 24V with a scope probe on the metal tab of the TIP125 transistor? Look for excessive AC voltage waveform.
The main filter cap does go bad and need to be replaced to remove the excessive motor humping.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 07:26:43 AM »
Twinfire, I believe the reels weren't turning at all.   The displays were blank.  The first searches I did found the info about the burned plug and I saw the discoloration, so I fixed that.  After that, the reels became jumpy.   I didn't do a lot of analysis before fixing the plug because that looked like an obvious problem to fix. 

Bunker, thanks for the video reference.   I'm still holding out hope my reel drivers are ok because the couple outputs I looked at looked reasonable.

BadBaud, I should get new test leads today so I can check voltages while the board is plugged in.   Unfortunately, I won't be able to test in in the machine for a bit, as it's in a different location.  I'm hoping to get up there in a couple weeks.  I thought about moving the machine temporarily, but it's pretty heavy :-)  I've ordered some replacement diodes, and I may buy some extra caps just in case.  I will test the 24V at the butterfly when I get to the machine.

By the way, one thing I noticed when looking at the board is that all 4 large caps are 6,800 uF's (two are 25 V, two are 16V).  The schematic shows C23 as a 10,000 uF, but it's a 6,800 on mine.  I'm not sure if it was replaced or it's just different on my rev of the board.   I may just buy some replacement caps, and I'm wondering if I should get a 10,000 uF one for that.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 08:12:22 AM »
Some of the older boards had those much larger caps
I noticed they went to smaller ones, in the later revisions.
I'd stay with the same size as the ones on the board presently.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2024, 03:51:29 PM »
I decided to do a little more debugging on this at my brother's house (he's an EE) and I think we may have found the culprit.   

We decided to partially energize the board just before the LM317 (i.e. from the output of CR3/4 to the isolated ground with ~11V DC) to see how the voltage regulator was doing.   When we did this, we only got about 3V instead of the expected 5V, and we saw about 2.6 Amps were being drawn.  The voltage regulator was getting really hot (as expected as it's a 1.5A regulator). 

This seemed to imply that there was a short somewhere on the board so we tried to look for it by finding something 'hot' on the board.   We couldn't find any thing hot initially except near the LM317.   Thinking that maybe the LM317 was bad, we decided to desolder CR12 to disconnect the regulator from the downstream 5V, and it then stabilized right around 5V as expected.  This implied that the LM317 was still working, although with no load, and that the short was coming from downstream somewhere.    We decided to bypass the LM317 to be sure, and supplied 5V directly the 5V test point, and again we saw high current and the voltage was being dragged down to ~3V. 

We looked for a hotspot on the board again, and the only area that was getting hot was right near the LM317 - it looked like the ESD protection at D3 was getting hot.  We cut out one end of it, and then reapplied the 5V and everything looked good voltage wise on the isolated 5V circuit and the current was dramatically lower (I forget the exact reading). 

This says D3 was definitely blown (I measure about 2 ohms across it both ways).   It looks like the LM317 still works, and we're hoping nothing downstream was fried.  I could in theory plug in the board like this to check, but I'm going to wait until I find a suitable replacement for D3 and put it in (Mouser has a 1N5908 that has specs close to the original/obsolete ICTE 5 on the board) .  This may not fix everything that is wrong, but I'm actually optimistic it will.   Undervoltage on the 5V could cause all kinds of strange things to happen.

My theory is that when the plug went out, maybe it caused an arc or something that blew D3.  Hopefully D3 did what it was supposed to and protected everything else.   I'll order the part, install it, and see what happens next (fingers crossed).  It might take me a couple weeks to see if it works.

If anyone has recommendations for better matched replacement, let me know.

Just want to say thanks again to all of you for the continued help.  I'll post again when I have the results :-)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2024, 04:33:16 PM »
I can't wait to see your results.
I love the way you guys troubleshooted.  :yes:
You have to completely understand schematic diagrams to poke around like that.

BTW did you use a temperature gun to seek out heated IC components?

Offline Bob L

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2024, 05:22:44 PM »
My brother is a pretty smart  guy and he’s done this a lot. 

We didn’t have a thermal camera, so we used an infrared thermometer to find the area that was heating up.  Then we checked with our finger. Pretty high-tech :-)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal