New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT S2000 VFD is blank - Machine will not boot up  (Read 16180 times)

Offline rescue161

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • rescue161 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT S2000 VFD is blank - Machine will not boot up
« on: June 05, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »
I've had the Crystal Sevens machine for a few years.  Set up for home use.  Still has WBA and coin validator set to 0.25.  It has been working fine for years, but yesterday, while playing, the right wheel was making a crazy sound and spinning very slow.  Display read REEL TILT.  I used the reset key and it stopped and I went back to playing.  Today, it did it again, but this time, after I reset the machine, the display would not come on.  After several attempts, it showed RAM ERROR and some number.  So I cleared the machine and then open/closed the door lock several times.  I reseated the motherboard.  The game worked for about 20 minutes and then started displaying CALL ATTENDANT during play.  The game would freeze while this message was displayed.  I pulled the enhanced sound card off of the motherboard and put the MB back in and all was well.  I then put the enhanced sound back in and reset the machine.  It complained about a mismatch and then worked great.  I went to eat and left the machine on.  Came back 20 minutes later and the VFD and the score in/out display was blank and the game was non-responsive.

I only have this one game.  I do notice that all of the LEDs on the MB are lit and the bottom one blinks red.  That is the only sign of life out of this machine aside from the back-lights.

Has anyone seen this?  I am not getting the "No Disp" message.

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • KirkLasVegas New User has no influence.
  • Yoda dog!
Re: IGT S2000 VFD is blank - Machine will not boot up
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
Start with the power supply, recap it....
Weak/wimpy power supplies in S2000 as well as 3802/3902 gameking and I-Games make them do completely nutty things.

Kirk

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »
Thank you!  Are there a ton of caps or is there a cap kit that I can buy?  I have a bunch of caps here.  I just don't want to rip it apart if I have to order something.

Offline jonm287

• Reputation Power: 12
  • jonm287 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:31:06 AM »
It depends on if it's a win tact, 3y or a few other different power supply manufacturers.  Suzo Happ sells a kit, it has 15-20 capacitors in it if its a win tact.  3y uses half that. 

If you're getting RAM errors, strange reel tilts and a blinky red light on the cpu, my first thought wouldn't be a power supply however... try reseating the RAM chips (will throw the game into a soft ram clear but you can just rest-key past that).

It wouldn't hurt to simply pull and reseat all the eeproms actually.  Just make sure you don't have any broken/bent pins afterwards though, and none go in backwards.

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
This game has one RAM chip for the enhanced sound and none on the main board.  I pulled every ROM and re-seated them.  No bent pins on the chips or on the main board sockets.  Machine is still dead.  I suppose I'll just order a re-cap kit and see if that fixes the problem(s).  It is strange how it has worked fine for years and then all of a sudden, it starts acting up.

Thanks for all of the help, it is much appreciated.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 07:27:31 PM »
Have you removed the power supply and checked the molex connectors for hot spots?

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 02:22:02 AM »
I will open the power supply tonight when I get home.  Do the main boards suffer from "time-bomb" capacitors?  I work on two-way radios for a living and the erratic behavior reminds me of how a Motorola Spectra radio will begin to act up as the old capacitors leak onto the PCB and erode away the traces.

Offline jonm287

• Reputation Power: 12
  • jonm287 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 04:50:12 AM »
The game had to have two ram chips in order to function. The sound simm is not technically ram, and certainly doesn't function as ram.  If you could, post a pic of the board.

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • KirkLasVegas New User has no influence.
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
The cap failures are not quite as bad as the ones in the Motorola Spectra mobiles (I still have a ton of Spectras).
The failure is they dry out.The cap might be marked as a 1000Mfd but a "ESR" meter shows they are like 50Mfd.
Some will be bulging on top or bottom, others will LOOK fine and even measure OK on a Ohm Meter (don't let that fool you).
I have this exact meter in the Youtube video (not my video). It's a "In Circuit" meter and not expensive.
Youtube Link      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO8zSemt0Bk

Kirk

Offline brianfink

• Reputation Power: 16
  • brianfink New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »
I would check the green varta battery on the MPU when they start to die on the enhanced board they cause crazy things to happen. there is a topic at the top of the s2000 board on how to remove it. 

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 01:01:56 PM »
I was mistaken about the RAM.  I just assumed that it didn't have any "extra" RAM as there are two empty slots.  The green battery was removed years ago and the button cell was replaced.  It is still reading 3V.

Here are pictures of the main board and the power supply label.

Offline brianfink

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
SORRY I THOUGHT YOU HAD THE 1270 BOARD YOU HAVE A 500 SERIES BOARD WITH MML2. I THINK THE PPROBLEM IS MOST LIKELY WITH THE MPU BOARD I have had all lights on and red flashing when I put a chip in backward or one leg bent under / not seated properly. I have also had one do that with no apparent software issues. I just put in a spar board. I have not gotten around to trying to find out what is actually wrong with the board.

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
I wonder what would make the board just go bad.  It has worked fine for years and doing nothing more than just not playing it for several months seems to have broken the machine.  I have a power supply inbound, so I probably just need to order another MPU if I can find one that isn't damaged by battery corrosion.

Offline brianfink

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
Ya I'm really not shore why they go bad sometimes. I have several with obvious battery corrosion but I have seen a few that look perfectly fine but just don't work. Might as well go ahead and try the PS first before you order a board. And if you want to spend a little more time and money you can upgrade to a 1270 but you have to change out the backplane as well.

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
What kind of price am I looking at to replace the back plane and the the MPU to a 1270?  Is it worth the effort?  Is the machine more stable after the upgrade?

Offline brianfink

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
I'm not really shore what they are going for right now. The only real difference on a standard s2000 is they are newer used electronics.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56:28 AM »
The other improvements for the 1270 upgrade are no hiss on the sound and the ability to use the R-boards for the newer themes.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 12:20:37 PM »
Ah, I forgot about the hiss...  If I remember right, I think I used some resistors to get rid of the hiss.

Offline rescue161

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
Bought another MPU and went ahead an bought an illuminated "insert bill" sticker and a new bezel as mine was cracked.  The only thing left to buy is a "10,000" insert for the top glass.  Someone made a "6,000" jackpot insert, but I changed it to 10,000.  I can't locate one of Ebay, probably because I'm not sure what the actual nomenclature is for that item.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal