New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How can a S2000 MPU tell when it is in an upright cabinet or slant top?  (Read 9662 times)

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • foster New User barely matters.foster New User barely matters.
I do not know if this was ever asked, and I have never seen the inside of a S2000 slant top to figure it out myself.

Coca-Cola and Slot Machine Addict

If you find this site helpful
Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Why do you think it needs to know?  :Scratch-Head:
Are you asking because during setup it asks for machine configuration, i.e. upright or slant top?
I would naturally assume so the reel know if they are installed in an upright or slant top machine. The pulse signal from the reels with count the stops and you will want those stops to show correctly if the machine is a slant or upright

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
It's a key chip menu option, 7.1.? And the reels have to be set for slant top use also I believe

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member

I do remember that the reel shelves in S2000 slant tops are at a angle as well, and there might be some adjustment to where the reels stop.

But when you clear a machine or change enough chips etc, etc, it will show machine type mismatch so there is something electronically different between a upright and slant top other than the pull handle and related parts.

I know the setting is in the key chip menu, but you cant take a mpu from an upright and pop it in a slant top or it will show machine type mismatch.

So I am guessing the MPU can detect cabinet type somehow, and I want to know what it is detecting.

Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Foster, I'm not sure the MPU can tell you unless it has been previously configured & the mother board memory retains that info. It's configured after a clear beacuse the backlit reel lamps are not only physically repositioned but Line 1 becomes Line 3 & vice versa as the reels are not installed in an upright position on a slant. Ever notice that the reel # decals are positioned upside down on reels that came from a slant? Selecting slant or upright after a clear makes the game funtion properly according to your cabinet style. When using slant reels in an upright you usually have to swap the line 1 & line 3 light connectors.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
Swapping MPUs among like cabinets will throw the error as well, so it's not the diff in cabinets that is causes the error. Couldnt it just be the fact the cabinet type has not been confirmed or specified?
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Another interesting fact is that non backlit baskets are either marked ST or UP & are not interchangeable.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member

I know about the MPU swap error, that occurs.

Yes the MPU can tell if it is in an upright cabinet or a slant top cabinet.
I just did a key chip and changed cabinet type to slant top, it does not like it, so it does know the difference between the cabinets.

How does it detect cabinet type?
Is what my original question is.

RB:
The upright non back lit reels are used in S2000 either upright or slant top.
The S/T marked reels are for S+ slant tops only, not usable in S2000 (unless you want your reel strips not lined up correctly)

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
Door optics signals maybe? Don't slant tops have more door open sensors? The MPU would search for signals depending on cabinet type because it knows what ones are open or closed when it's programmed properly

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
Slant top wiring diagram would be helpful.

Offline John Breedlove

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • John Breedlove New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I'm new here and new at slots, but since we are guessing, my guess would be, it is in the harness, like the Pac Man game for instance, it has to
know whether it is in an upright or a sit down cabinet because if a sit down the 2nd player must be flipped on the monitor, it is just a wire in the harness pulling a connection low I think. Cheers

Offline BiggerHammer

• Reputation Power: 23
  • BiggerHammer New User barely matters.BiggerHammer New User barely matters.
  • NLG
If the MPU could detect it then it wouldn't need to ask you if it's a slant top or upright during config. It would already know the answer.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
Like I stated in a prior post it can detect the difference and will show an error or tilt and not function until you enable the key chip menu and change it to the correct cabinet setting.

Once I see the wiring diagram for a S2000 Slant top I suspect I can figure out what it is using to determine the cabinet type.

As for it changing to the correct cabinet style and configuring itself correctly might be gaming commission thing.

Offline brianfink

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • brianfink New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I agree with biggerhammer if the machine already new it would not need to ask. The errors you are getting are probably part of the reason why the machine needs to know wether or not it is an upright or a slant top. Any time you change a board or chips, you get a RAM error, and the machine does a partial reset or clear and can loos data such as machine type.   

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
Foster, Here is a conclusive test for you.
Sounds like you have both an upright and slant top machine to test with.
Set up the slant top machine and play a few games. Now remove the motherboard and CPU and install it in an upright machine.  Just make sure the machines are identical just different cabinet styles. For instance, a coinless machine to a coinless machine.  Same type of display, printer and bill acceptor or any another type of Netplex or Senet peripheral device. If going from coin in and a hopper to a coinless machine the test would be invalid.

If that machine doesn't boot up, play and show the same credits that you had on the slant top machine, I'll be a believer.  The reels will not show in the window of the upright machine correctly because it still thinks it's in a slant top cabinet, but it will still have the same credits and play as usual.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
Foster, Here is a conclusive test for you.
Sounds like you have both an upright and slant top machine to test with.
Set up the slant top machine and play a few games. Now remove the motherboard and CPU and install it in an upright machine.  Just make sure the machines are identical just different cabinet styles. For instance, a coinless machine to a coinless machine.  Same type of display, printer and bill acceptor or any another type of Netplex or Senet peripheral device. If going from coin in and a hopper to a coinless machine the test would be invalid.

If that machine doesn't boot up, play and show the same credits that you had on the slant top machine, I'll be a believer.  The reels will not show in the window of the upright machine correctly because it still thinks it's in a slant top cabinet, but it will still have the same credits and play as usual.

i dont think the test would be that simple s2000s have an eprom on the motherboard/backplane that gets written to when you setup the machine i also know that some (maybe not all) mpus have a serial identification chip on them. if that id number on the chip is written to the motherboard eprom it will cause an error if you just swap the board. if you run this test i would try moving the small motherboard eprom with the mpu.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
I know about the Serial EEPROM on the motherboard.
The S+ even has one on its motherboard and as far as I know other machines of the S2000, S+ era by other companies (Bally, WMS, etc) have a similar chip on their back planes.

As far as I know it only contains the last written accounting data and machine settings, and any history you can read via the menus
Who knows if the current credits or cash value get written to it or not.

I don't have a slant top, but changing machine type to slant in a upright cabinet causes the machine type mismatch error.

Someone that has a S2000 slant top wiring diagram care to share it, I would be able to determine how the MPU detects it.
It could be as simple as a jumper in the Cabinet I/O harness or even in the door I/O harness.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
i dont think the test would be that simple s2000s have an eprom on the motherboard/backplane that gets written to when you setup the machine i also know that some (maybe not all) mpus have a serial identification chip on them. if that id number on the chip is written to the motherboard eprom it will cause an error if you just swap the board. if you run this test i would try moving the small motherboard eprom with the mpu.

I know the motherboard has an E-square chip.
That's why I said to swap both the Motherboard and the CPU from the machine already setup.
Foster, Here is a conclusive test for you....
 Now remove the motherboard and CPU and install it in an upright machine.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
my background is in computer repair and motherboard is the main board and cpu is the main chip on the motherboard. so i guess when you said motherboard and cpu i just took it as you were saying just the mpu.

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
We call the backplane the mother board because that's what everything plugs into and the MPU would be a daughter board to that along with the IO cards, back lite controller and peripheral devices. They either plug in directly or by way of a wiring harness due to space constraints, but it's still the central point. Same way they did it in LCD and DLP projection TV's. They're just words, but it does create confusion across different trades. We had a heated discussion over this once on the old site and it got a little comical at times

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal