New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: PE+ bvd and coin lockout not working  (Read 3413 times)

Offline gamesmedic

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • gamesmedic New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
PE+ bvd and coin lockout not working
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
This is an update to one of my previous posts getting bill validators to work again.
These are all identical PE+ countertop video poker.

I purchased a BVD set chip and re-enabled the validators on all 3 machines. 1 machine worked fine since. The other 2 the bill validators work fine. I know this because I swapped all three around into the working machine and they all worked and accepted bills.
I thought it might be the boards themselves and proceeded to swap them as well but all three board worked in the working machine too.

When powering up all three machines, all go through the cycle, bill validators testing, game memory testing and all boot up fine but on two of the machines the light for the bvd enabled doesn't light up when boot cycle completes.

On doing a diagnostics trying to turn the light on manually with the jackpot reset key, the lights do not come on. I also noticed that the coin lockout also does not come on either. IMHO someone has disabled that circuit, maybe by cutting a wire somewhere. I have no idea where to look. Any ideas?

Gamesmedic

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: PE+ bvd and coin lockout not working
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
some ideas off the top of my head, others here may have suggestions later-

You mention that the bv's all work ok in the good machine, and that they make the initializing sound on powerup in the bad machines. But you didn't say if you tried inserting a bill to see what happens? What the bv does or does not do when a bill is inserted is often a clue to the problem. Does it pull the bill in and immediately reject it, or pulls in the bill and holds it for a second, then rejects it?

On the 2 machines that aren't working, are they seeing that the main door is closed (door optics or door cherry switch) working? All the security switches, like on the bv and cash compartment, working or bypassed?

Did you press the white TEST button inside the machine and step thru the various setup screens to make sure all 3 machines are setup the same? Check things like limits (hopper limit, credit limit, whatever is in there) and the coin denomination setting may need to be set also.

What model bv are they?  (DBV-145, DBV-200, etc)
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
They make the initializations in all three machines. Each machine is identical in settings and menus. I swapped all three boards into the good machine and all 3 worked just fine. So the boards are not the issue.
I swapped all three bvds into the good machine and they all worked so it is not the bvds.

On the 2 non functioning machines the Insert Bill light does not come on after closing the door, and the coin lockout does not function during the attract mode. The bill validators do not even pull a bill in.

The optics on the front door, and drop door have been bypassed. The only optics functioning are the top door. It is the same for all 3. I even swapped all three bill stackers. They all work and their optics are functioning.

In sitting listening to the good machine, the coin lockout energizes momentarily while the game is on the game selection and attract mode, but doesn't in the other two. I am of the mind that there is a circuit that feeds the lockout power, as well as the bvd insert bill light. this lack of power to that particular circuit would possibly cause the ready signal to the bvd to be held low instead of high causing the bvd to be on standby on the 2 non functioning machines.

Like I said before, I believe someone has disabled, cut a wire, on 2 of the machines to disable a circuit. I am wondering if anyone knows about this procedure, and what to fix. Off hand I didn't get to look at what model bvds they are, but the fact they all work in the good machine seems irrelevant.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 05:27:42 PM »
I moved this discussion thread to the IGT PE+ area,
you posted in the IGT Game King forum by mistake.

Hopefully some of the PE+ folks will have comments
to help with your problem.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
My bad, apologies.

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
For the record, after doing the set chip, putting the game prom back in, reinstalling the board, and powering up, I got a Call Attendant CMOS DATA (error). I pressed the test button for 3 seconds until I got the ping, closed the lid, and turned the jackpot reset key, which put the machines, even the good one back into operation. Again, since I did the exact same thing to all three machines, and got one good one out of it, I do not think this procedure had anything to do with the non operation of the other 2.

Thanks again.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
My bad, apologies.

Not a biggie. But you're more likely to get quicker comments/help if we get it put in the correct area. Plus in the future other people with the same or similar problem on their PE+ will be able to find this discussion and hopefully get help from it.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
Do the 2 bad machines play ok with coins? Is the bill validator the only problem with them? I suppose you've looked in the lower cabinet at the wiring, for cut or disconnected wires? I forget (reading a lot of posts today), do these machines have mods to bypass the door optics? Anything different about the cabinet on these 2 machines compared to the one that is working?

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 06:33:23 PM »
Unless I missed it in previous posts, are the B/V power supplies in the non-working machines good? Good connections etc. If I missed it sorry.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
That's a good point Shaggy, and why I asked what model bv they are (but no response). If the machine has the old style bv power supply made for the DBV-145 then it often doesn't work with a DBV-200 bv. The older model bv external pwr supply doesn't have enough power to operate a DBV-200 (or it is marginal), many people have to replace them on S+ machines when they add a DBV-200.

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Yes, the machines operate just fine with coins. We are simply trying to restore the bvds to operation for collectors value. Obviously a fully working machine has more value. As I said before, all 3 machines are identical. no difference in models, no difference in bvds.
Yes, it is apparent to me someone has made a mod somewhere that I am overlooking. I am wondering if this is something someone may be familiar with.

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
Would a power supply for the DVB-145/DVB-200 also operate the coin lockout solenoid and the Bill Enable lights
Neither of these works. in the other 2 units.
Are there any wiring diagrams? I really need to start tracing wires to find out where the problem lies.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
I don't think so. The power supply for the DBV-145 and -200 bill validator is a black rectangular unit mounted just to the left side of the bill validator assembly enclosure. It only supplies power to the bill validator as far as I know. Below is a photo of what it looks like. The early models were designed for use with the DBV-145 and were lower power units. When the DBV-200 came out it required somewhat higher power so IGT came out with a newer model of the bv power supply, it can be identified by the cooling slots cut into the black housing of the power supply. If the machine has the older lower power model of bv power supply and there is a DBV-200 in the machine it is recommended that you upgrade the bv power supply to the newer style that has more power. Otherwise you can have unreliable operation of the bill validator.

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »
Thus far, as far as I know all three machines have these power supplies

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
I forget, these are bartop PE+ machines, is that right? If so disregard what I said about the location for the bv external power supply in prev post.

That looks like the black rectangular bv power supply down there in the bottom of your photo. Does it have slots in the black cover, a few slots on each side? If not then it is the older lower power power supply. There might be identifying part number on it, but most people just go by whether it has the slots in the cover or not.

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
Could the stacker optics keep the Insert Bills lamps from going on, even in diagnostics mode?

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
If you are concerned about the stacker optics, strip the ends and twist them together. Tape or wire nut and call it good. Stacker optics can be tied off with no problem.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »

If you are concerned about the stacker optics, strip the ends and twist them together. Tape or wire nut and call it good. Stacker optics can be tied off with no problem.

Dave

I don't think so Dave. In fact I think that may be one of the problems. I finally got a second machine to start working properly by lubricating and tightening the return springs in the money holders themselves, they were not returning to the home position. It is my opinion that the DVB was looking for a pulse of high AND low from the optics indicating the stacker was functional, which finally got one of the malfunctioning machines to turn on the Insert Bills lamps. It seems to me without the high and low pulses the DBV thinks the stacker is malfunctioning, or removed and shuts down the ability to go online. So, in essence it is the DBV shutting down. So I don't think just tying the ends together would help. But thanks for the advice.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
I downloaded your photo you posted earlier of the inside of the machine and zoomed in. It's fuzzy but looks like the bv external power supply does have the cooling slots cut into both upper edges of the black cover, so it probably is the improved higher-power version for use with DBV-200.

Did you find any wiring diagrams or schematics for this model PE+?

Offline gamesmedic

• NLG
    • Gamesmedic.com
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 08:09:30 PM »
I downloaded your photo you posted earlier of the inside of the machine and zoomed in. It's fuzzy but looks like the bv external power supply does have the cooling slots cut into both upper edges of the black cover, so it probably is the improved higher-power version for use with DBV-200.

Did you find any wiring diagrams or schematics for this model PE+?

Sure haven't. I ended up going back out to the location and tore all three down looking for ANY difference. Couldn't find a thing. I changed everything from the other machines into the good machine and tested. Every part worked just fine. My last shot was the stacker because it was the only part I couldn't swap. Finally got a second machine to start working. I finally quit on the third one because of exhaustion.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal