New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT (Australia) S Slot - dead transformer  (Read 944 times)

Offline Simplify

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Simplify New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT (Australia) S Slot - dead transformer
« on: September 25, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
Hi All,

I have an Australian made IGT S Slot that has a burned up transformer.  My parents had it at their house and they said it "caught fire" one night while the hopper was paying out  :-)

I brought it home and after inspection...I could see the transformer on the bottom right was oozing the black goo.  Impedance is showing open, why typically tells me it is shorted out.  From what I can tell, this is a step down/isolation transformer.  I'm assuming it was installed so it could be used internationally.

I've been looking for an exact replacement based on the model number, but no luck.  I realize this is from 1987 but I thought I would give it a shot.  I also know I can probably substitute any transformer that puts out 120 and can handle the necessary amps.

Taking a step back, I'm wondering if I really need a transformer there?  Since this is in the US...and I can see the main transformer on the other side...couldn't I just connect the wires I clipped to take out the burned up transfer and call it good?  Assuming everything else is properly fused, I'm not sure I would need the first one any longer.  From what I can tell, power comes out of the wall, thru the filter, passes thru this initial transformer and then goes over to the other one that splits the voltages out.  The 120 tab goes right back to the hopper and the hopper motor runs on 120.

Curious to hear any input you may have.  Thanks in advance.

-Shaun

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: IGT (Australia) S Slot - dead transformer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »
I don't see why it would be needed in the US. I have an unmodified S machine if you need any parts.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Simplify

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 04:15:58 PM »
Thanks RB!  Appreciate the fast response and the offer.  Will definitely keep that in mind if something else comes up.

When you say "unmodified", does that mean yours does not have the extra "inbound" transformer?

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
Thanks RB!  Appreciate the fast response and the offer.  Will definitely keep that in mind if something else comes up.

When you say "unmodified", does that mean yours does not have the extra "inbound" transformer?

That is correct.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Simplify

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks again.  I'll wire it back up and see what happens!

Offline Simplify

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
Evidently I have bigger problems.  I removed the old transformer and connected the incoming power directly to the filter.  When I turn it on I get nothing.  A quick shake of the reels and the power button light is flickering.  When I turn it back off I get a quick buzz tone from the speaker.

Time to track some voltages!

Offline Simplify

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »
OK, I had it backwards.  The transformer that burned up was a step up transformer.  I checked the ballasts for the lights and they are all 240 volts.  Evidently the main power needs to be 240.

Back on the hunt for a transformer!  If anyone has any suggestions on where to buy one, let me know.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal