New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: What slot is this??  (Read 4790 times)

Offline mrcrazy

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • mrcrazy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
What slot is this??
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
Just picked it up, has some acid damage on the cpu board... has a cage at the bottom with 2 boards in it... need some schematics & ANY info..what model is this..it says IGT & aristocrat on it??

any info is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Greg

Offline Takaraz

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Takaraz New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: What slot is this??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »
Hi
[size=78%]I have recently picked up a machine similar to that one. I don't have the arm fitted to the side instead there is a button below the reels. Mine is an original aristocrat from Australia not an IGT re badged models. But the photos looks the same internally[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]The machine is an esprit. There has been a few posts from Op-Bell that should help with diagrams[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Good luck with with it all[size=78%]

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
Oh no - not another Esprit.

Just kidding. This is an Aristocrat Esprit, imported from Australia to the US by IGT during the years its agreement with Bally prevented IGT from making any reel slot games of its own. It is the exact same model I fixed up a few years ago that somehow convinced people I'm the foremost Esprit expert in the world.

There are no schematics, I wasn't diligent enough to trace out the boards, but I have a manual on PDF. The wiring diagrams list what port pin on the 6821 PIAs they go to. "Logic" means a direct connection, "24VAC" means there's a triac in between. Please remember that the cabinet is not at logic ground, it's at about +20V relative to the circuit board ground, and careless probing can let the smoke out.

Main manual
Wiring Diagrams
Mechanical Drawings
Program Disassembly

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »
Greg.

Mine looks like this.

Externally your machine is a lot cleaner than mine.  :hissyfit:

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
My IO board and processor board.

Excuse the diodes on the processor board.

Sloppy home made resistor network in RN12 on IO board but it does the job.

Offline Op-Bell

• Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
Takaraz, you've got the old style CPU board with 2708 EPROMs.

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
My IO board has had a few issues. Ic3 and ic6 were gone and needed to be replaced. RN12 was faulty as you can see my homemade substitute. I found a few odd 337's and 327's so I replaced them all. A triac was bad and I needed to replace the track.

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
I know OpBell that's where part of my problem is. I'm having problems finding someone that can read/write a 2708. Although I'm finding issues around the boards and fixing them I still don't know if my eproms are any good.

I have four 2708s most other boards I have seen online only have 3. Should I expect the fourth chip to contain data or is it just a filler? That's if I can get them read

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
Oh no - not another Esprit.

Just kidding. This is an Aristocrat Esprit, imported from Australia to the US by IGT during the years its agreement with Bally prevented IGT from making any reel slot games of its own. It is the exact same model I fixed up a few years ago that somehow convinced people I'm the foremost Esprit expert in the world.

There are no schematics, I wasn't diligent enough to trace out the boards, but I have a manual on PDF. The wiring diagrams list what port pin on the 6821 PIAs they go to. "Logic" means a direct connection, "24VAC" means there's a triac in between. Please remember that the cabinet is not at logic ground, it's at about +20V relative to the circuit board ground, and careless probing can let the smoke out.

Main manual
Wiring Diagrams
Mechanical Drawings
Program Disassembly

I have a bad feeling the last person that looked at this may not have known about the cabinet not being logic ground. I have been using pin 1 from s25 and pin 2 from s1 as most of my ground references. I beleive i was right on my ref points but after all I only have limited knowledge. This is my 1st full scale repair

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »
A 2708 needs three supply voltages = +5, -5 and +12. The only way to read them in any modern programmer is to make an adapter board to add the -5 and +12 supplies. It can be done, just takes a bit of fiddling and knowledge. Programming them though, that's something else entirely. They had a very involved algorithm that involved giving every location a short pulse, then the next, to the end, and go round 1000 times. If I had to program one I would have to make a programmer specially. In fact I wouldn't bother, I would find some 2508s (single supply), or larger EPROMs - up to 2764 will fit in the socket - and modify the PCB traces to remove the -5 and +12. That's pretty much what they did with the 2716 version of the board. They added a mezzanine that plugged into the 2708 sockets and carried four 2716 sockets. The problem with copying that, is that they also modified the address decoder PROM IC19. Again, not an insuperable problem, but will take some detective work to sort out.

You have 4 chips because the 2708 is only a 1k EPROM. The boards you've seen with three chips are 2716, which are 2k EPROMs, so they have 6k of code space with one chip missing, and you have only 4k with all positions filled.

2708s were obsolete by 1980, and had a guaranteed data retention time of 100,000 hours, which is a little over 12 years. Those must be at least twenty years past their endurance point by now, so there's a very good chance the program is gone in places, but you never know.

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
Thankyou for you guidance. If my roms are cactus could I switch another games rom in its place? Providing it has the same reel numbers and coin values or even mod the coin value in hex? Are the reels the same ie optic ports on the reels the same on different games or will they have a different binary outputs?

If I had to as a last resort could I switch Roms from another game and just change the reel strips(keep reel just replace the paper strips) to match the rom?

Offline Takaraz

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 06:11:11 AM »
I'm on to someone that may be able to help me with reading my ROMS. Hopefully they are good

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal