New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S2000 vision msverify comm error  (Read 16537 times)

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: S2000 vision msverify comm error
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »
Aren't there 2 rows of 5 pins? I'm at work right now so it's not in front of me. I'll chime back in later when I get home. Plus, all these customer's keep interrupting!  :24:
My job keeps interfering with my hobbies.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
yes...there is. My arrows I drew could only show you 5...lol

Anyways, I took my topbox out of storage and found that I left my connector I made 6 years ago still on it!
I had only used the 2 top and 2 bottom leftmost pins to hook it up to the keyboard.
I used 4 wires from a ribbon cable going into a 10-pin black plastic housing.

Now what I mean by "leftmost pins" is the 4 pins closest to the "AUX" and "VGA" header connections.
I used 2 on the top row and 2 on the bottom row.
It's too bad I had never marked anything on the ribbon cable I made.
I think I had this used as a short extension to run out a different hole of the topbox unit so I could plug my keyboard into it.
When you close the topbox computer unit into the holding bracket, the holes for the plugs got blocked.
So I must of ran it a different way to clear the LCD holding bracket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:24:28 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
yep...I did! Haha!
First picture shows the little extension I made going from the board to the back of the cover...I had made a hole in the cover to fit my plastic 4-pin housing.
The second picture shows the housing exiting the back of the topbox LCD unit cover.
That's where I plugged my keyboard into when I played with it.

It's too bad I didn't put a male DIN pin header there!!!! UGH!
We would of found out which pins was which!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:28:37 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline ianmcneil68

• ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...ianmcneil68 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
That's awesome! Well, I can at least find positive and negative, then I'm down to 2 wires. Shouldn't be too bad.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »
My S2000 is stored away right now, wish I had it up and going.
I'd multimeter some pins for ya and find out!  :yes:
Maybe some hearty soul can stick a multimeter in that header and see what's what on those 1st four pins?  :Tongue_Out:

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »
You actually don't need the machine to boot up the vision LCD. A standard PC power supply will suffice. Just plug the old school IDE power connector in as seen in the pic. You have to jump the two connection on the power supply main harness to turn it on as seen in the second pic. I'll be playing around with it and keep you in the loop. This is an extra screen with some damage on the LCD so no lost play time on any of my visions.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
Oh yeah...I actually did that before to power up something.
The jumper cable acts like as if a switch is "ON".

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
OK Guy's, I'm following this and don't understand what good a keyboard is. I have been under the idea that everything comes from the data card. Are you able to change the card like this? Add extra files or what?
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
Well that's just it, my friend. I can't know until I get in. Based on the fact that it's simply a Windows 95 (and DOS) operating system, I can change a lot. I just want to get in there and play. See what I can/cannot do.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »
I got it running....checking the 4 pin-outs on the LCD computer for the keyboard as we type...
Made a little video just now...lol

https://youtu.be/H2S8DuTBtgg
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:31:55 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »
I think that I like you, Bunker! You dive right into a challenge. It's not always why but, what if...

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »
Okay...making progress...

I get 5vdc out of the top 2 pins on the left side of the header from the LCD computer!

My multimeter shows the 1st top leftmost pin as 5vdc while the pin next to it is the ground. (-)

That means the bottom 2 pins on the leftmost side (closest to the AUX header) of that "KBD" header is for the keyboards' key data & clock!
Only old keyboard I have on hand is an old USB keyboard.
I gotta hack a USB keyboard plug now... :24:

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »
You also get 5v from the top and bottom in the second column. If you look at this pic it seems to follow + and - being in the second column. However, mine did not work either way. Getting late....work tomorrow.
I know that the pic is a 5 pin but I cross referenced the wires to make sure they were the same.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
I agree...but at least we know it's some sort of a combo with those 4 pins....well, 3 really.
I'm guessing the 2nd pin on the bottom row is the 5v +data pin.
The 1st pin on the bottom row might be the clock pin (-data pin) ?

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:38:23 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:26 PM »
OK Guy's, I'm following this and don't understand what good a keyboard is. I have been under the idea that everything comes from the data card. Are you able to change the card like this? Add extra files or what?

Technically, you could change the card on your PC. For instance, maybe if you loaded a .bmp file of similar size where one of the "good luck" .bmp files were, it could possibly show up instead. I haven't tried it but in theory it seems like it would work. Just playing around while waiting for parts for my other project...

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2016, 08:33:17 PM »
"Technically, you could change the card on your PC. For instance, maybe if you loaded a .bmp file of similar size where one of the "good luck" .bmp files were, it could possibly show up instead. I haven't tried it but in theory it seems like it would work. Just playing around while waiting for parts for my other project..."

Ohh! That's what you wanted to do?
I once changed the .snd files for the cash-out sound file of an ATA San Disk card to a
similar sized cropped .mpeg file of the Beverly Hillbillies theme ending sound "Y'all Come Back Now!"  :rotfl:
As I recall, all I did was change the file name from .mpeg to .snd or whatever IGT is naming their Vision sound files.
It's been a while since I've changed one....lol

Luckily I still had a computer that could read those old ATA photo memory cards and
changed various sound files at random.
I had never really thought of changing the .bmp files tho? Awessome!!  :cool_thumb_up:

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
That was just an example of what could be done in order to answer Jim's question. Getting into the operating system I was more thinking of creating a custom boot load screen and audio file. It would play every time the LCD boots. I saw a version of it on youtube and my brain went to churning....
No luck on the keyboard tonight. My wife just had surgery so I'm off to care for her. Then it's bed for me. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Offline ianmcneil68

• NLG
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
Tried again tonight....no luck :banghead:

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »
Yeah...need schematics of that Vision LCD circuit board...I'm pulling mine out when I get a chance...try to trace the traces from the pins back onto the circuit board.

I'm really wishing I kept notes on this...lol

Upon pulling out board, this is what I have....>>>

Made by RadiSys in 1999.
Etched on the bottom of the circuit board are the numbers: MCB 60-0329-05 but
there is a sticker on top that has numbers: 61-0753-50 MCB

The 10-pin KBD/MS header at location [H7]
The nearby "AUX" header is located [H6] and next to that is the "VGA" header is located at [H5]
We know "KBD/MS" is abbreviated for Keyboard/Mouse".
We only know that my extension ribbon cable for the keyboard that I left on it from six years ago used only pins 7, 8, 9, 10.
I am certain that pin 10 closest to the edge of the circuit board is the ground (-) pin.
Pins 7, 8, and 9 put out 5vdc when paired up with pin 10.
All four pins have a board trace going to some sort of a small IC component on the top side of the circuit board.
On the bottom side of the circuit board, only pins 7, 8, and 9 have a small trace running from them.
Only pin 10 doesn't have any trace on the bottom side - that's why I think it's the ground pin (-) ?

I am also certain that a mouse can be connected to some or all of the other
remaining six pins somewhere from pins 1-6 but I've NEVER seen anyone do it.

So basically, to try to hook up the keyboard, we're left with three pins: 7, 8, and 9 for the DATA, CLOCK, and VCC.
That's about 24 different pin combinations? I'm on it!!  :arrowthruhead:
I did it before, and I'll do it again! haha!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:43:30 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »
No luck...I tried all 24 combos....took almost two hours!  :hissyfit:
I'm trying a UBS keyboard.
All I get is the three LED's to light up (NUM lock, Caps lock, Scroll lock) but
the keyboard won't respond when pressing the [F2] key to enter setup.
I may have to find an older DIN version? I don't know... :Scratch-Head:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal