New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Part/Board Terminology  (Read 196 times)

Offline 61Wally

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • 61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Part/Board Terminology
« on: May 25, 2024, 01:23:53 AM »
Can Someone please tell me What the Correct Name is for this board and its purpose. I’m guessing Maybe something in the voltage regulating department? Thank You ALL.

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: Part/Board Terminology
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 05:23:38 AM »
That is the "TOWER 4-P.C." relay control board. The main logic board uses it to control a set of three solid state relays that control 24vac to the tower (aka candle) Door Open, Call Attendant and Jackpot Lamps as well as a sub board for the Pull Handle Unlock Coil.

Offline 61Wally

• 61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:17:35 AM »
Quite a bit of items, If that piece has taken a dump could that be the reason Why I’ve lost everything? Display, I can’t reset anything. The Only thing I get is the handle solenoid starts chattering after the machine has been on for a few minutes. I tested All the voltage outputs except for pin #8,(I didn’t understand that one) and they were correct. One moment it was working great, turned it off next day back on and a bright brick with fluorescent lights is All that works. I’m lost on these Universal machines. Any suggestions/Thoughts?

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.Pitts256 Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:59:57 AM »
A tower board intermittent short to ground could cause the tower lights to flicker or the door handle solenoid to chatter. Worse case it takes out a fuse. Optoisolator chips protect the main processor board.

CN4 pin 8 is the 9.5vac to the main processor board. Loss of 9.5vac will shut down the main processor board.

Did you power up the machine while holding down the "ALL RESET" button on the main processor board? The RAM may be corrupt.

I'm working on an 8116 now that had similar issues; LEDs and lamps flashing and solenoids chattering. The main board battery was bad, acid leaked on the board and the corrosion caused some traces-solder joints to open or short to ground. The memory decoder chip was also effected and must be replaced.

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:15:12 AM »
To make sure that I’m correct, This button is the one to the left of the hopper on the MPU board,(There’s a little slide plate on the cover and inside  there’s a small black monetary push button. My understanding if I’m doing it correctly, Is to hold it down 3-4 seconds after I turn the machine on. Once held down it makes a noise and then I can let up and proceed forward. This machine had a dead battery as well. I cut out the resistor that’s part of the charging circuit. I replaced it with a new lithium 3.6 volt battery and it worked great for a short period of time then turned it back on and nothing, except for that chattering solenoid after a few minutes. I’ just installed everything back in it and I’m going to check the voltages at the pins that were listed to test. I will post shortly the results.

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:20:23 AM »
When I saw the post about what to test, I didn’t understand for sure about pin #8 test procedure. It states that it should be 9.5 VAC. My question is Testing pin #8 is the other test lead go to pin#7(ground) or another pin? That was my Only confusion when I went down the list.

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:59:17 AM »
Yes, the push button on the main CPU board. Hold the button down, power up and continue to hold the button down for 2-3 seconds after powering up. You'll typically hear the door coin divertor solenoid pull in, the pull handle solenoid may pull in and the sound amp power up.

Loss of the battery voltage to the RAM shouldn't prevent the board from starting up. Loss of VCC (+5vdc) to pin 24 of the Ram chip will though.

Since the resistor R27 was removed when the board is powered up the voltage on the battery should remain the same, about 3-3.6 volts, if there's more than 3.6 volts then the switching diode D5 could be shorted.

The 9.5vac pin 8 will be close to 5vac when measured to the DC ground pin 7. To get the actual 9.5vac you'd have to measure at the power supply transformer taps. If there's 5vac at pin 8 you're good.

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:01:37 AM »
I don’t know if I tested Pin#8 correctly or Not?
I used Pin#7 as ground and had strange results. Testing It showed 4.42VDC & 5.2VAC

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:08:39 AM »
What You just wrote is exactly what happened after I changed the battery. I played it to the point of building up 500 credits and when it would hit a winner the coins would dispense out into the tray, I was at the credit limit. I quit for the night, next day came back and everything was dead.
Not to change subjects here but what position does the hopper switch need to be in?

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:37:29 AM »
The switch on the hopper is for the type of photo eye installed. Here's the info:

"Optic Switch - The high-speed hopper is adaptable for use with either gray or black
TTL optic systems. For use with the gray optic system, the switch (located on the
relay board) must be in the position nearest the 16-Pin connector. When used in a
black optic system, the switch must be in the position away from the connector."

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:53:17 AM »
OK Sounds Great except that went So far over My head I can’t even imagine catching it. I’m Not familiar with Universal machines at All, This is my 2nd one I’ve seen, trying to help a friend out who wants it fixed, family member passed and he has it. By looking at the pictures can You tell me what position I should use, Also how do I find the model #?

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 08:31:37 AM »
The hopper switch is typically "locked" in the correct position. Looking from the frontside the switch (by the Molex plug) is in the right position for the black optical switch and left for the gray.

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:52:48 AM »
Thank You, Learning the terminology is a big part of understanding these concepts.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal