New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally S5500 Coin Comparitor  (Read 4164 times)

Offline dougp62

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • dougp62 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally S5500 Coin Comparitor
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
I have been trying to convert my Bally S5500 from quarters to nickels, and the only hurdle I can't clear is the coin comparitor. Attached is a photo, but my issue is that it will take a few nickels, then it will give me a #20 error, which is a coin in jam. I'm going to try to balance the coils per the info I found on the CoinMech website first, but if I were to try to buy a replacement I want to be sure I'm buying one with the right voltage. As you can see, mine doesn't have that printed on the label.

I've read that they will make the proper contacts for the voltage that they require, but I need some reassurance. Can anyone help?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Bally S5500 Coin Comparitor
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
The problem you are having may not be caused by the coin comparitor but by the optics boards below the comparitor. Since a nickel is smaller than a quarter it sometimes may not be sensed correctly by the optics boards as it passes by. That causes an error since the machine knows a coin was inserted but never saw it go past the optics, so the machine thinks a coin jam occurred. I believe there is a mod to correct this but I don't remember the details, someone here will say if this is a possibility. If the machine was working ok with quarters and didn't give that error before you converted it then this is something to check into. You could also try cleaning the coin path side of the optics boards, sometimes dust buildup can cause a problem there.

If you believe the coin comparitor itself is at fault here are some ideas to try before replacing it or doing the balance adjustment-

Your coin comparitor has a little round chrome weight attached to the coin damper lever. You can unscrew it and remove it to see if that eliminates your problem. That weight was correct for quarters but may be too much for nickels. You can reinstall it if that doesn't help. (see photo below)

Have you tried another nickel for the sample coin that is installed in your coin comparitor?

Also, I can't tell from your photo, but make sure the left side edge of the nickel in the coin comparitor is inserted into the groove or slot on that side of the coin mount.

In the lower right corner of the front of the coin comparitor is a sensitivity adjust, you can turn it all the way counter-clockwise. That will cause the coin comparitor to pass all nickels inserted.

Another idea is to block the rake open on the back of the coin comparitor. It is the metal flange that is spring loaded, just raise it away from the coin comparitor body and make it stay open with a piece of paper folded to the right thickness. That will force the coin comparitor to pass all coins.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:36:26 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:05:59 AM »
I had the exact same problem with my S5500. It used to be set up for one dollar size coins and after I converted it over to nickels I kept getting the same error code  as you. rokgpsman's initial statement is right on the money. The mounting block, located just under the coin comparitor, has a slot to accommodate the large size $1 tokens and it's very easy for a nickel to slip by the coin in optics without being properly detected. You'll need to block off that extra space in the mounting blocks coin slot so that the nickels are properly channeled into the optics. I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about in a few minutes just let me get some coffee in me first...
There are some shady people in this world, stay in the light...

Offline mr-monoxide

• mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 03:59:00 AM »
here are the pictures. i simply used a piece of an old power cord to block off the extra space in the coin slot. i chose to use that because the wires insulation was soft, would conform to any irregularities and since it was slightly fatter than the slot in the mounting block all i had to do was loosen the mounting screws for the block then slip the wire into place and tighten up the screws. the wire is compressed and securely held in place. someone may have a better way of accomplishing this but the wire worked for me.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:00:57 AM »
a better picture...

Offline dougp62

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
Ok, I did as you did and put a couple of short pieces of electrical wire with insulation in the slot and cleaned everything up. I put about 500 nickels through it and didn't get a single #20 code, so I guess that must have been the problem. I am getting quite a few coins that fall through without giving credit, so I think I might still need to balance the coils, but I'm definitely gaining on it. Thank you for your help!

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
On the bottom right side of the comparitor is a pot adjustment. It has a + and - symbols next to the hole in the cover. Hole could be covered up with a decal.  Carefully turn this adjustment all the way CCW. If you had some adjustment ,  you are good to go. If there was no adjustment you will need a new comparitor as the cap is bad.

Offline dougp62

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
Ok, I'm out of adjustment to the CCW side. So I guess this brings me back to part of my original question - does it matter what voltage comparitor I'm looking for?  And I see comparitors for sale that are listed as IGT or other brands. Are they standard among game manufacturers?

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »
You'll need to get a cc-16d 24 volt. Make sure it has the two grey wires going to the rake solenoid. If the 2 wires aren't grey then it's the wrong one.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal