New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need some help, S2000 Vision, Double Diamond Run  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Bmwsyc

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Bmwsyc New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Need some help, S2000 Vision, Double Diamond Run
« on: February 12, 2024, 08:10:52 PM »
Just picked up the machine, done a little reading but still a little confused. Seller said it had a ram error message. When I got the machine home, found a dead and slightly corroded varta. Removed the battery and tried to clean it up a little, but I am getting a door open error which I’ve read might be because of the corroding battery. I occasionally get a netplex error as well. I think I have a 500 board, can a 502 or 504 be swapped for the 500 board? Are 500 boards still available? I’ve seen no activity in the vision LCD screen, but I was assuming maybe I would not see life until I finished the RAM reset.

I can post photos if need be.

I like the setup of the machine, so I’d like to get it working, I’m hoping it’s not too far out there. I have a few other slots so I have some working knowledge.

Thanks!
Chris
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 09:20:26 AM by Bmwsyc »

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
Re: Need some help, S2000 Vision, Double Diamond Run
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 08:48:09 PM »
Post a clear pic of your board. Especially the area where the varta battery was. 

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 11:56:49 AM »
Here is the close up.

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 11:58:51 AM »
That was a bear posting that photo. I used a tooth brush, then q tips with a very weak vinegar solution followed by alcohol. Looking through a hobby microscope, the races look beat up but intact from what I could see. There does appear to be gunk underneath U84 though.

I read that the Varta doesn’t need to be replaced?

Thanks!

Offline lookes

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 12:18:17 PM »
The Varta area is pretty rough. I'm sure there is at least one bad trace. Looks repairable tho.
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 12:52:10 PM »
I’ll send you an email, Lookes.

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 06:19:10 PM »
Okay, I have made it past the door closure issue, and I think I cleared the RAM, I got an EEPROM error, but cycling power made it past that. The point I a, at now is the Netplex is waiting for a response from the monitor. The monitor has never shown signs of life, except for the little fan, that works. I saw a photo that someone else had posted that showed a connector plugged into the (looking at the back of the monitor) far left molex. I don’t have anything plugged into there and don’t see a cable that would.

I did check for voltages at the main connector and I have both 13 volts and 25 volts, both seem strong. One quirk, if I unplug the main connector and replug it in, the whole machine seems to restart.

Are there common failure points on the monitors? Are they available out there if the whole thing is shot?

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 07:37:33 PM »
There's a PCMCIA slot on top and on the side of the lcd computer.
Check and see if there's a thin metal card in them.
The slots have a small plunger on one side of them that you push in, to push out the BGM card.
Note: These metal memory cards go completely down into the slots ONLY one way.

Please make sure the power switch to the machine is OFF 1st.
Never pull plugs out or in with the power ON.
You WILL burn out stuff.

That left-most  4-pin Molex connector on the rear panel of the lcd computer is for the connection to the speakers.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 07:52:43 PM »
I’m referring to the 2 pin molex.

There is a card in the top slot.

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 08:02:04 PM »
Don't worry about that for now....that's for an aux audio in connection.
Let's concentrate on getting the lcd to work.

It gets it's power from a 10-pin Molex on a harness going to the small distribution circuit board on the back wall of the topbox.
All we know is you have fan power.
Can you remove the back cover of it?
There's a jumper you need to put on the lcd board inside.
can you tell us if there's already one on there or not?

Let me find you a photo from my notes.

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 07:16:48 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 10:16:33 PM »
One quirk, if I unplug the main connector and replug it in, the whole machine seems to restart.

That's not a quirk.  Most of machine runs off the +13vdc and 25vdc power supply, so when you remove that connector from the motherboard everything loses power.  The exception is the Comm board which has it's own 12vdc power supply that provides power to the Comm board and the convenience light behind the bill validator.

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 02:02:23 PM »
There is no jumper there.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 04:19:44 PM »
Stick any 2-socket jumper on the [JP1] pins.
If you don't have a jumper, wrap some small wire around them to create a closed-circuit connection.
That way when you power up the computer, it will display the boot-up sequence, and let us know what's going on with it.

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 04:46:36 PM »
I put a jumper in and powered up the machine. At first the screen lights up, uniform whitish appearance and slowly starts to show thin colored lines or the blacked out areas. I don’t think the computer behind the display is starting at all. No text on screen.

It is cold in my garage, if that accounts for anything with the screen changing over time. Maybe it’s slowly warming up.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 05:15:54 PM »
Leave it on for awhile....like an hr or so.
Then power OFF the machine , wait 5 seconds, then turn back ON the power switch.
See if you get a better video.

You know...they didn't make these to be located in sub-zero conditions!  :Tongue_Out:

Operating Temperature: 32-95 degrees
Storage Temperatures: 32-150 degrees

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 08:36:02 PM »
Okay, this morning I move the slot into my basement workshop and let it sit to warm up. This evening I pulled the circuit board of the vision. I cleaned up the dust/dirt from the little fan and reseated the main cpu and SIMM’s. I didn’t see any signs of damage or burned components. I put everything back together and powered up. Same result. I waited longer and I’m guessing the search for the monitor timed out and I got a “msverify-comm error”.

The onboard fan gets power
The screen and screen lamps get power
No sign of life from the computer portion of the display.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2024, 08:41:37 PM »
I do need to ask...which "screen" and screen lamps get power" are you talking about?
You need to show us a good clear photo of your MPU circuit board.
Do NOT remove nor install anything in your machine with the power switch ON.

I'm assuming you saw the “msverify-comm error” on the blue VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) reel glass display right?
That's telling you that there's no communication between the topbox LCD computer, and the machine's MPU.

The COMM harness for that is the 3 gray wires that come out of the power distribution board running up to the topbox on the left then out to the 6-pin Molex connector on the back of the LCD computer.
The three wire colors on the 7-pin black plastic Microfit connector are:
Gray w/yellow stripe
Gray w/purple stripe
Gray w/black stripe
Are those two harnesses there?

I've attached where they connect to the PDU.
Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:01:56 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 11:29:09 AM »
Sorry, I should have elaborated. The LCD screen and the lamp that light it are getting power.

Both harnesses are there, when I get home, I’ll make sure that the other end of the 3 wire harness is okay and plugged in.

You are correct, I was getting the comm error on the VFD display.

Should I be getting some sort of text on the LCD screen (with the jumper in place) when the lcd computer is powering up?

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 11:50:54 AM »
Yes....if there's no text, or anything showing at all on the LCD screen even after [JP1] is jumped together, we're going to have to check a few other things.
Don't pull that battery out of it yet...it might be okay.
You don't have a the OS card to load it back up if the battery is removed.

I want to let you know, your machine needs every software piece to be correct or it will NOT work.
Let's verify your software as well.
Can you post some good clear close-up pictures of the chips on the MPU?
Or tell us what you see on the labels?

Four important chips...>>>

The long SB chip (U21 socket)
The GME1 and GME2 pairs (U19 and U46 sockets)
The Version chip (U44 socket)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:06:44 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 05:41:17 PM »
Here is the pic of the board
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 06:23:16 PM by Bmwsyc »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal