New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: s plus board component gets very hot  (Read 648 times)

Offline puckhead

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
s plus board component gets very hot
« on: July 25, 2021, 09:36:14 AM »
s plus, 10mz board. turn it on, the reels stiffen, the bill validator cycles. you get a brief 0 in winner paid, then no diplays.  the mpu get hot fast, and its this component getting hot.  what is it, why would it get hot? defective, or something else causing it ? i might have a bad old board somehere to steal one from.  thanks

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 412
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: s plus board component gets very hot
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
Remove the screws that hold the MPU to the tray and look behind it.

I'd like to see what it looks like bak there.

Your board is cooking big time.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 307
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
Check D3 in front of the regulator with a Ohm meter, that diode is a TVS type and when they go bad they short out.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 88
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 12:17:16 PM »
That is the 5 VDC regulator. It supplies 5 V to the entire machine. Mostly the components on the mpu but other IC's on the door pcb's. It is U47, an LM317 5V regulator. You can purchase them most anywhere, and the heatsink. Sometimes it is hard to remove the heatsink from the device without breaking it. I have the regulator and heatsink and could probably ship them cheaper than buying one each. PM if you need.
Because it supplies 5V to all the IC's, it may be difficult to determine the problem device or short. I would usually use a thermal camera and see if you could tell which device(s) are getting hot quick after power up. With the way the board is mounted in the machine, not realistic.  Would probably need to power up on a bench or see if you can disassemble enough to do it in the machine. I'm pretty sure other members have a way to bench repair the board. Could be a short somewhere, maybe disconnect the door boards that would use the 5 V to maybe narrow to the door wiring, boards or mpu. The 5 V is pretty much for the IC devices, nothing else really works on 5V in the machines.

Tony.

The TVS diode mentioned above is a good place to start.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline puckhead

• puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 12:34:35 PM »
thanks to all. ive got a pile of bad s2000 boards, do they use the same diode and reg? i took a quick look, no s plus boards in my junk so far.
edit   i just looked at some schematics, no s2000 reg, its al lin that power supply. makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:38:27 PM by puckhead »

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
The S2000 Vision schematic shows U78 as an LM340 5V regulator. That would work, good cross. I don't see any TVS diodes in the prints.  I will do a visual on a picture if a pcb and update later, not at my computer or near a board.

EDIT: The S2000 boards are mostly surface mount and the regulators are 5 pin devices. Does not look to me as though the S2000 boards will have anything you can use.

You can replace the regulator but -
With the machine not working, and the regulator getting hot - but still working, kind of, your problem is with some other device(s) pulling too much current. It could be a short or partial short in some wire some where, but most likely an IC device or protection device like the TVS diode. Putting another regulator in place of the one getting hot will most likely get hot also until the problem is determined to correct the over current problem. If you want to 'test' to see if the TVS diode is the problem, I would 1st use a meter and ohm it out to see if it is shorted or bad. Google testing a diode and you can try that. The TVS diode is a basic protection device - in this case it shunts voltage (current) above ~5V to ground to try to protect the devices down circuit.

I could recommend another test, but only if you are in a hurry and want to see what is bad. It would most likely be destructive and could cause more damage, possibly damage not easily repairable.

With this type of problem, trying to isolate the area of concern is best. I'm thinking mpu board itself or possibly something external.

Tony

Send me a PM if you want to talk about any of this.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:55:17 PM by Trisail »
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
Quick thing to do - unplug the door display connections and see if the regulator still gets hot. I will assume it is pretty hot after you power down the machine, remove the MPU board and then notice the regulator is hot. It will be warm, but should not burn you if you touch it. Might narrow it down to the display boards at least.

Tony
Tony

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »
D3 is shorted. also , the + trace to cr12( tests good) is a bit fried from the heat. D2 checks good, as do the caps. im going to replace the regulator and D2. the diode is marked 8733.  the schematic doesnt indicate a number.  there are references in another thread to it being a 6373.  can you clear that up? thanks mike

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
The schematic references an MPTE-5, obsolete but many replacements available. It is a 5V TVS diode. Here is a link for what Mouser has.

https://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/ESD-Suppressors-TVS-Diodes/_/N-jy72?P=1y95zfoZ1yzv44wZ1yh8o3mZ1z0z819

SA5 units are pretty inexpensive. Shipping as usual.

I have the devices and can put them in 1st class USPS tomorrow, I can even ship a couple of each if you want. Even some of the other devices you may be concerned about for the same or less than what you can ship from the any of the electronic vendors. Up to you. PM me if you want.

Some numbers for others -
1N6373, SA5.xxx, 3KP5xx, 5KP5xx

Tony

Probably an electrical surge took the diode out. I am pretty sure if you replace it the board will be OK.

PS: D2 is for the 12VDC circuit so that would be a different TVS diode. 12V TVS diode.
Tony

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 307
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »
Mic drop.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
i ordered the 2 parts, and will try it out. maybe i get lucky, maybe the whole board is fried.  i might wire in a 5v supply to test while im waiting.  i guess i should buy a spare board too, if anyone has one for sale, let me know

thanks

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »
Sounds good. 

Yes Alan, you have been there before. Nice job. Almost like the back of your hand by now. Keep it up.

Tony
Tony

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal