New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: BB2 - Bios Level - Solved  (Read 13770 times)

Online coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
Re: BB2 - Bios Level
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
Could it be a faulty door switch? Maybe your stuck at the Config in Progress because it things the door is still closed??
-------
Charles

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
On the one I am using it says 2006.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline teamclark4

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • teamclark4 New User barely matters.teamclark4 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
Jeff,

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Tried it in multiple BB1's. The door switch would do that; but it's open and the cherry switch is not pulled open.

Offline iramack

• Reputation Power: 33
  • iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
Just a thought, although a bit late in the game...........

You say these are BB1 cabinets,  What size screens are they running??

Steve

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »
I have 22" in the BB1 cabinet.  Either way it should at least take me to the config menu, good thought though.

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
UPDATE:

Tried more game/os combinations this morning. Bottom line.... If i put in 256mb OS's in the BB2 it will boot to the config screen (the game CF is 512mb). If i use the newer 512mb os's, it hangs at "connecting to gamemgr" forever. These are the same 512mb game/os pairs that will boot to the config when i swap in my BB1 CPU in the same exact cabinet. I even tested the Monkees; it has a weird combination of a 256mb Game Card but a 512mb OS Card. It boots in the BB1; but hangs in the BB2. So it's got to be that os level.

The only thing i haven't done is swap or mess with the Bios chip. It shows sbot-00002 - 3000 on the label. Small glimmer of hope here, when i booted it i took a pic of the boot screen and it's saying version 2000. Can someone verify when they boot their BB2 if you have the same bios level on the screen? I'm hoping you have a different bios level and maybe that is my problem.
[/size]
[/size]Thanks.
[/size]
[/size]

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
Weird, it cutoff my last few sentences in the last post.. 

The bios chip label says sbot-0002 3000; hoping someone can look at the pic i took and verify if i have the right level or not. I have a glimmer of hope that maybe i need to update the bios ?

Offline Blueridgeslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Blueridgeslots New User barely matters.Blueridgeslots New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
If it was not the newer update, on that screen at the bottom in Red would be a disclaimer ..running in Demo Mode only

Offline iramack

• iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
If both monitors are 22 then it must be the lower capacity memory card.  512 OS does not leave much room in the hard memory to get the program configured and loaded.

My guess anyway................. :Scratch-Head:

Steve

Offline Blueridgeslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Blueridgeslots New User barely matters.Blueridgeslots New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
Wait til you get the 2gb Ram before pulling your hair out (more)

But just so you know, just because a Card works in a BB1 does not mean it will work in a BB2, typically the OS in BB2 (512mb) needs to be WMS (yes I have seen others) but the OS card is picky in BB2 where the Game card is picky in BB1

So a Game card that may not work in a BB1 will work in a BB2 but a OS that works in BB1 will not work in a BB2, WMS OS in BB2 cures all ills

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Yes, running short on hair..

I am using the WMS original cards; i had heard that the non WMS are fussy in the BB2 so i made sure during my testing that wasn't one of the variables.

Might try to dig thru some of my many laptops for a compatible 2gb memory card to borrow; so i don't have to wait until Tuesday for the one i ordered. If the 2gb is not the issue, then i would have the rest of the weekend to still mess with it.

Thanks...

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
Solved..  :applause: 

This morning i mentally went thru everything i had 100% ruled out during all the testing, to see if i missed anything that it could possibly be. Didn't leave much left. Then i remembered that when it switches from the black boot screen, to the little cross, and then to connecting to gamemgr that is resets the display resolution (display flickers and auto-adjusts the resolution).  During my testing i had my BB1 dual screen with my 22" monitor (which always had the vga plugged in and looked awesome) as the slot machine i was putting the BB2 into. On either side of that machine were 2 other BB1's with standard 19" screen. When i was testing the other BB1 machines, i was always leaving the DVI cable plugged into that 22" LCD in the dual screen cabinet ( i had a long dvi cable) and was just putting that BB2 into the other BB1's.

So one of the constants that never changed during testing  was that 22" LCD in the dual screen is where i always outputted the BB2 to; whether the BB2 was in that dual screen or in one of the other 2 BB1's next to it.

And i'll be damned if switching the dvi cable to the 19" LCD in the BB1 next to it made it fully boot to the config screen.

My 22" LCD couldn't handle whatever resolution that "connecting to gamemgr" piece of the boot code was looking for before it would give the blue splash screen.

Tried it on multiple games today, in my same BB1 dual screen cabinet with the 22"; and every time it hangs when the dvi is connected to the 22". But if i move the cable over to the 19", it boots to the configuration screen. 

Afer i config the game in the 19" screen, and it actually boots to the game itself, i can move back over the DVI to the 22" and it displays (but it definately is wonky in that it doesn't like the resolution or refresh rate that is happening, jumpy shaky picture).  I have another 22" that is a different model, plugged that into the DVI and the picture looks perfect. Looks like i'm going to be doing some 22" LCD swapping.

So bottom line, the boot sequence to get to the configuration screen needs a certain resolution/refresh rate. If you are using something other then the 19" that is already in the BB1, it may (or may not) accomodate that resolution.  And the symptom will be hanging on "connecting to gamemgr" forever.

Thanks to all for help during this challenging process.   :hail:

Offline iramack

• NLG
Re: BB2 - Bios Level - Solved
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
Glad you figured it out. 

I haven't been able to fully absorb the description of the problem you have given, but I think it boils down to having to use DVI for the lower screen no matter what size 19 or 22 the BB2 cpu needs to use the DVI output.
So what 22 inch touchscreen monitor does not have the resolution capability to run the games?? Monitor defective??

Am I understanding you correctly?

Steve

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 06:27:04 PM »
Don't know if this is what's going on, but on boot-up most computers and their operating system send an id request to the monitor and it answers back. This is done over the normal svga video cable. If the computer does not recognize the monitor or does not get an id answer from it then the computer can have a problem using high resolution settings since it doesn't know the proper refresh rates and max res setting of the monitor. This was especially a problem some years ago before Windows was made smarter (!!yeah, I know!!) and before all the monitor manufacturers got better at handling the id request. Believe it or not, it was possible for a monitor to be asked by the computer to sync to a horiz rate that exceeded its ability and the monitor circuit board would burn out trying to run at that higher frequency. So they became careful about asking a monitor to run in high res unless they were sure it could handle it. Hence the id request and confirm procedure.

If your 22" monitor that was not playing along were to power up in a high res mode that the machine software didn't recognize then that might have caused things to choke.  It could be a defect in the 22" monitor, or just something with the particular model & brand. If the monitor has a setup menu you could try changing its default screen mode setting to a lower res or refresh rate setting and storing that setting. That way it would maybe power up in a compatible mode for your system.

Just a throw-it-out-there thing to consider......
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:45:36 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline teamclark4

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks, tried messing with the LCD menu options, they are limited. It's a 22" Kortek.  Looks great via vga; which is why i had it as my main in the BB1 dual screen.

I agree, it's like changing out the video card on a pc and then windows get's to the user screen but won't boot into the windows menu because it's changing the screen resolution and the monitor isn't compatible. Been there and done that; that's actually what made me think about the possible refresh/resolution issue stopping it.

Thanks for the feedback... For now i'm swapping the monitors...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
yeah, the 22" Kortek requires a video input range from VGA and upward, VGA mode is the lowest. It requires a horiz input freq of 59 khz minimum. The horiz input range is spec'd at 59-75 khz. It's got some good high res modes but not too friendly to the lower and medium res video modes.

But the older 19" can drop all the way down to CGA and EGA modes to sync up if needed. It is compatible with horiz input freq as low as 15 khz. Its horiz input range is 15-32 khz.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:01:45 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal