New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS 550 NXT upgrade - MC-40 Coin Comparator  (Read 10140 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline fmetz374

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • fmetz374 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: WMS 550 NXT upgrade - MC-40 Coin Comparator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
Thanks for the great documentation.  Regarding the Multi-color status LED.  I've never actually seen it turn green.  I've seen red and orange but never green.  Per the documentation the LED will be orange if the inhibit line is active.  Any suggestions why I'm seeing orange even though I've selected MC40 in the machine setup of the game?

The MC incorporates a bi-color (green / red) LED on its front cover to easily indicate the operating status of the
mechanism visually. The LED will be green when power is applied to the device and it is enabled (INHIBIT not active)
to accept coins. The LED will be orange if the INHIBIT line is active (disable coin acceptance). The LED will be red
when the TILT line is active (error condition) or if there is no resident coin in place.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that, maybe one of the folks knowledgeable on that model of machine can say. I was hoping the documents would have full information. But I'd think the inhibit line would be coming from your machine mpu to enable or disable the MC-40, so that may be what is the cause of your problem, have to find out why that inhibit line isn't enabling the MC-40. If you were to remove the inhibit pin (with wire attached) from the connector temporarily would that let the MC-40 work?

I suppose you have verified the cabling, making sure it is plugged in to wherever it goes (backplane, mpu, etc) and that there isn't a broken wire or a connector pin pushed back? Or was something perhaps overlooked or miswired when you made your adapter cable for the MC-40? Rickhunter will check back in later, he is experienced with this machine, maybe he will have suggestions, particularly on the adapter cable construction and the inhibit function.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:51:11 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline fmetz374

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »
Well I am happy report that my coin comparator is now working! And with tokens which is what I was hoping to accomplish.  I am rather embarrassed to share that the issue was with the connector on my harness to the MC-40.  I originally had tested the harness for continuity and all of the pins checked out good between both end of the harness.  Unfortunately two of the pins inside the connector going to the MC-40 7-pin header were not making a connection.  When I did a continuity test to the header pins on the MC-40 PCB I noticed the top two pins did not have continuity.  I pulled these two pins out of the connector and bent them out a bit and problem solved!

I should have thought of this earlier!

Thanks to every one that gave me all of this great support!  I've learned a lot about how the coin comparator works and have also learned how many highly knowledgable people there are in these forums!  I couldn't have done this without everyone's support.

Much appreciated!   :applause: [size=78%] [/size]

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »
Awesome!  I went ahead and powered up my 550 converted to NXT to note the behavior of the comparitor during the diagnostic.  It is indeed disabled when you first enter the diagnostic, and the led on the comparitor is orange (Red/yellow).  When enabled on the test menu, the comparitor light turns greens and it diverts the coins to the hopper.

You should go ahead and test the other MC40 you have to verify functionality.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
Well I am happy report that my coin comparator is now working!
Much appreciated!   :applause:

Good job sticking with it!   

And a big  :cool_thumb_up:  for your honesty on what you found. We've all had to retrace our steps at one time or another to find something we missed.

Offline fmetz374

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 08:04:50 PM »
I just swapped out MC-40 and installed the original with the CMI # that ended in 200.  (the non WMS sticker MC-40)

That one does not work and I can never get the LED to go green.  It looks like for the WMS 550/NXT board combination you do indeed need the WMS approved coin comparator. 

Thanks again goes to Ros at CVSLOTS for getting me what I needed.   :thank_you:

Offline fmetz374

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 08:45:09 AM »
One final question for the experts.  My connector is still "iffy" at best.  What is the actual/proper type of connector that I need for the 7-pin power and IO connector on the MC-40?

Thank you.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
You could just cut off the wires and reconnect them using molex mini-fit Jr connectors.  It would only be the 6 wires, so not a whole lot of work.  When I did my conversion, I didn't have the tools to terminate molex ends, now I do, so if I were doing it today, I would just use that.  Since my cable has never given me any issues, I've just left it alone, but if it ever does I will just put molex ends on it and be done with it.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal