New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Replacing BB1 Power Supply With BB2 Power Supply  (Read 4407 times)

Offline T

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • T New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Replacing BB1 Power Supply With BB2 Power Supply
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
I would like to swap these units in my BB1 > BB2 Conversion but need some guidance. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated  :Scratch-Head:

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 150
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Replacing BB1 Power Supply With BB2 Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
Why are you contemplating doing this?
If it ain't broke don't mess with it.....

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
I would like to be able to run BB3 games at some point. The thing is I have never got a clear answer if this can be done on a BB1 conversion. I have been told I maybe / probably can do this so, I figured I would buy the at least some of the parts and start in. It certainly is possible I may be in over my head. If you know Jeff please say so. This is what I gathered in my looking around at this. I need a BB2 Power Supply (I have that) I need the Top Monitor to be able to have a DVA Port (I have that on top monitor) I need an Emotive Lighting unit (I have that). I will need some / a proper harness / wiring (don't have that). Last but not least I need a BB3 CPU (I do not have that). If I cannot do this I obviously do not want to drop that kind of cash on a BB3 CPU unit I cannot use. Thanks for any advice good or bad.

Why are you contemplating doing this?

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »
Ok, short answer is this can be done.  It's a tight fit but I know it's been done.  You just need to make room for the power supply. 

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
That's good news that it can be done. The bad news sounds like making room for the power supply. I don't know for sure but it looks like the Power Supply is back behind the bill validator / cash box. Am I right in that assumption? If that is right that looks like bad news to me. Is it possible to bypass the BB1 power supply (leave it there disconnected) and have the BB2 power supply sitting in the base of cabinet secured down? I will look at it a little closer in the next couple of days. Thanks for your help Jeff!!
Ok, short answer is this can be done.  It's a tight fit but I know it's been done.  You just need to make room for the power supply.

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
If you remove the BB1 power supply under the BV you will have enough room for the BB2 power supply.  I just measured my BB2 PS and it will fit with room to spare.  Since you already have one do a test fit.  Also, once installed you don't have to change it out to go back to BB2.  Easy swap.

You don't have to remove the power box behind it, just the one in front.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »
Thank you for checking that. I will look into more in the next couple of days or first chance I get. Did you mean "once installed I don't have to change it out to go back to BB1?" Do you know if I need any other cables or harness? Thank for your time & help Jeff. I do really appreciate it.

If you remove the BB1 power supply under the BV you will have enough room for the BB2 power supply.  I just measured my BB2 PS and it will fit with room to spare.  Since you already have one do a test fit.  Also, once installed you don't have to change it out to go back to BB2.  Easy swap.

You don't have to remove the power box behind it, just the one in front.

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
What I meant is that you don't have to change it back to run a BB2 CPU or BB1 for that matter.  You will need additional cables for both the BB3 CPU as well as that Emotive board you have.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »
Ok, I think  :no:  I am in the right spot if I am following this right. I do wish I knew more about the parts and machine but live & learn I suppose. The first picture shows the BB1 PS (if that is wrong let me know) The second photo shows the wires going out of the back of BB1 to the Power in on the Backplane. What / how do I go about plugging this into the BB2 power supply? Looks like I need a different wiring harness? Third photo shows the BB2 PS slid into place. 1'll need to secure it down somehow. If this all looks correct or not please let me know.

Also, there is an BB1 Power Supply for sale @ EBay that looks totally different that what my photo shows. I have one like the EBay listing but it is below the amp at back of cabinet. Must be an aux power or transformer or such?
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/WMS-Bluebird-24V-Power-Supply-Aras-Model-EOL-item-/181997476264?hash=item2a5fe519a8:g:LeQAAOSwFqJWn5Pq

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
That's a 24V power supply.  The BB1 power supply doesn't provide 24V so they used a separate PS for that.  The BB2 power supply will need a different wiring harness to plug into the backplane.  If using a BB3 CPU you need a modified harness that also povided power to the side of the CPU.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:48:21 AM by idesign »

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »
Is the proper Harness stuff something you can help me with? I would love to get this BB2 PS connected and going  :yes:  I would like to get the Modified Cable for the BB3 CPU. Would I need two separate Cables or just one that would run everything? I assume the Modified BB3 Harness would take care of it all? If you can help please PM me so we or I should say you can figure out what and how to handle this.

That's a 24V amp.  The BB1 power supply doesn't provide 24V so they used a separate PS for that.  The BB2 power supply will need a different wiring harness to plug into the backplane.  If using a BB3 CPU you need a modified harness that also povided power to the side of the CPU.

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »
Like I said I know the conversion has been done, but not by me.  The only conversions I did was from a BB2 to BB3.  The first BB3 CPU I purchased came with the cable needed to make it work.  The second one didn't, so I copied the cable and made it myself.  Compare the BB1 power supply to the BB2.  See all the other input and output connectors on the BB2 PS.....notice that the BB1 PS doesn't have all these.  That's because the machines are wired differently. Even the power switch is wired in differently. If you plug that BB2 PS in does it power up?  Probably not.  There is a remote switch connection on it.  In my BB2, the power switch is connected to it. In the BB1 it goes  elsewhere.  To be honest, I don't think I can help you.  I don't plan on converting any of my BB1 machines to BB3, I think I know how to do it but I would be hesitant to give you any advice as to how to go about doing it unless I do it first myself.

One experiment I would try is to check to compare the pinout voltages of the P4 connector on the BB2 PS to the BB1 PS to see if they are the same.  We already know that 24V is supplied by a separate power supply so the 24V output on the BB2 power supply probably doesn't need to be connected to the backplane.  Once we knew the output of P4 compared to the output on the BB1 power supply it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to make it work.  Your machine is already wired up so some of the connectors on the BB2 power supply probably are not required because some of the power is being supplied from other sources.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
Ok, I will see what I can find out. Thanks for your help.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal