New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Removing the green battery from an IGT s2000?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
Removing the green battery from an IGT s2000?
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
Hi, I have heard that it's a good idea to remove the green battery. I have a few questions before I start:

How do you remove the MPU board safely?

How do you reseat the MPU board so that it won't break the board in the back?

What tools do you use if you don't have a soldering iron to remove the battery?

What type  surface is the best to set to set the MPU on if you don't have a grounder? ( Wood, steel, on the wooden floor, tile...)

How do you handle the board iF you don't have a grounder? Or how do you ground yourself while handing the board such as walking with it to the work bench?

Thank you :)
Slot Machines and more slot machines! Instagram: @itsaslotmachine

My latest adventure:
https://m.facebook.com/AnAtypicalGirl/

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Removing the green battery from an IGT s2000?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
The steps necessary to remove the green battery depend on the mpu type you have.  If you have a 500 series board, you can just remove the battery.  If you have an enhanced board, you have to also remove the regulator at position U16.

The mpu is on a tray, you do not need to remove the mpu board from it's tray in order to remove the battery and the regulator if needed.
To remove battery without a soldering iron, you can use some cutters to cut at the base of the pads that the battery is attached to.  One side has two pegs and the other side has one peg.  Just carefully cut them at the base and you should be good.  A lot of us find it easier to cut the single peg, then bend the battery to easily expose the dual pegs.

Since the mpu is on a tray, just carry the tray without touching the components over to where you are going to do the procedure.  Set the tray down, and ground yourself by either touching the bare floor with you feet (without socks or shoes) or your hand on something that is grounded and you should be good to go.  Try doing it somewhere where there is no carpet to build up static. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.ItsaSlotMachine Is working their way up.
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
Thank you so much for your help, what kind of cutters do you use? I have a set that are really thick for cutting metal earring posts since I make origami earrings for strores, Could you possibly send a pic of the cutters you use so that I can ensure I have the right kind? Thank you

My latest adventure:

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »
Like a cuticle cutters in size, but for metal. Actually, if you have one, a cuticle cutters would probably work fine

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »
Thank you, I'll ask to see if my sisters have a cuticle cutter or not, they like to do nails a lot

My latest adventure:

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
My sisters don't have any cuticle cutters at all , but I did find these clippers in my origami supplies ( see pic below ), Will these work or not? They seem a little thick around the heads

My latest adventure:

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »
If it is a 500 series board and all you are doing is removing the green battery just gently rock it side until it snaps off.
If you are trying to cut the regulator chip off of a 1270 board those cutters are a little too big and clumsy
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »
Same deal though, just rock the U16 transistor back and forth till the legs break

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 08:06:17 PM »
My sisters don't have any cuticle cutters at all , but I did find these clippers in my origami supplies ( see pic below ), Will these work or not? They seem a little thick around the heads

Those diagonal cutters may be too big for this job. You don't want to damage the board or nearby parts on the board. Your machine is working, be cautious doing this mod. It's not a difficult mod, but be careful.

Nice nails!  :garfield:
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 06:42:48 AM »
Thank you, my sister's friend painted my nails over Labor Day weekend :) What is the mod that your talking about, I'm a little confused? And I'll look for smaller clippers

My latest adventure:

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 06:49:52 AM »
I also feel a little nervous about removing the MPU tray from it's seat inside the machine, How hard do you have to pull?

I tried pulling it out last night ( with the power off ) but it wouldn't budge, Then I powered the machine on and it still worked ( which is good )

And how hard do you have to push to re-seat the MPU while keeping the circuit board on the back of the machine safe?

My latest adventure:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »
It takes a little effort to pull it out.  It is held there only by friction from the connectors.  It is unlikely to damage anything other than you hand if it comes out really fast and you happen to jam your hand against something.  I've killed my hand many times pulling things out machines before, so just be careful.  To re-insert the mpu, just keep pushing with a little force until it no longer moves.  You can sort of tell when it is in.  The backplane its pretty safe, you are unlikely to do damage if you push just the mpu in.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:36:24 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice :) I'll check the MPU when I get home to see if I have a 500 or 1270

My latest adventure:

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
1270 has a wire handle you pull on to remove, 50x has just a metal angle to grab.

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:58 AM »
Mine appears to be a 500 because the photos I have of the tray still in the machine show the metal angle that you described.

(edit to fix sideways photo)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:01:28 AM by rokgpsman »

My latest adventure:

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
Yeah, that's a 500 series. Just remove the green varta battery if it's still there and check for/clean up any acid leakage. Be sure to remove the coin tray before removing the MPU

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
Thank you, my sister's friend painted my nails over Labor Day weekend :) What is the mod that your talking about, I'm a little confused? And I'll look for smaller clippers
I meant this mod (modification) of removing the green battery and the u16 part if needed to be removed.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ItsaSlotMachine

• It's A Slot Machine
  • I'm a slot machine
    • Atypical Girl
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, I am wondering what you use to clean acid from the MPU circuit board?

My latest adventure:

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
It's actually alkali, the battery is (NiMh) and the area needs to be cleaned with a mild acid solution made of vinegar and water to neutralize the affect.  Then use clear water and dry completely before reinstalling. Q-tips dipped in the vinegar  solution and rubbed on the board and components followed by the same procedure with just plain water a few times.

Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
Yes - what qbert said.

If a battery has liquid inside, like your car battery, then it is a "wet" cell battery and has acid (usually about 50% sulfuric acid and 50% distilled water). If the battery is dry inside or has thick chemical paste then it is usually an alkaline substance. Both acid and alkali are very corrosive to metal. That's why when it leaks it can eat thru the copper board traces and the legs on ic's. Or destroy your old-style flashlight. An exception to this are the lithium batteries, they are dry cell but generally don't leak and cause problems.

Since people are so familiar with car batteries and they hear about them having battery acid inside that's probably why there is the general impression that all batteries contain acid. Around here some stores that sell auto & truck batteries used to wait until someone bought the battery, then they would add the battery acid and charge them up. And people used to rejunenate weak car and truck batteries by adding a little sulfuric acid.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal