New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: bally s5500 stopped accepting coins  (Read 996 times)

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • DirtinLa New User has no influence.
  • NLG
bally s5500 stopped accepting coins
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »
Psuedo coin mech works... tried clearing... have 2 .  . dots in the Win Paid

pulled coin mech reseated the 2 plugs. checked the coin in the comparator.

help please

-=Fred=-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:35:41 AM by DirtinLa »
MY PET PEEVE: Those who ask for and receive help on the forums and then never bother to post the ultimate outcome/fix

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: bally s5500 stopped accepting coins
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »
Try a different coin in the comparitor  . Turn the sensitivity pot fully CCW. The comparitor may need replaced due to a bad capacitor. The 2 dots are normal. They will clear after 2 spins.  It appears that the machine is in ready mode.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
got the coin mech in today, did a complete clear and still not working...

pressed the white reset button have a yellow light on that circuit board

hold in the door button and the light on the mech glows red

coins go straight through to the payout tray...

ok i turned the compirator fully CC coins are going in the hopper now but no credits

pseudo coin button works

coin in says 0 credit says o and payout has 2 dots .  .

this is a roaring 20's bally s5500

thanx in advamce

-=Fred=-
MY PET PEEVE: Those who ask for and receive help on the forums and then never bother to post the ultimate outcome/fix

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »
Take the coin optics apart and clean the optics boards where the emitter and reciever are mounted.  On the back side of the metal bracket that the optics boards are mounted on,  there is a very small prism glass.  Pay very close attention to how it is positioned,  remove it and clean the glass.  No harsh cleaners. 

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
 i cleaned the 2 leds and the 2 optic flashlight lcaps

i cleaned the prisim 

i pulled the eprom and reseated and cleaned it too.

Holding the door switch I get a green light on the coin mech and a yellow/amber on the

optic board. Coins go directly to the hopper but still don't register?

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:32:18 PM by DirtinLa »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:09 AM »
Check the connections and wiring from the optics up to the backplane.  Reseat all the connections.  Reseat the MPU.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »
Let me open a can of worms....

What is your opion on dielectric grease?

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 05:15:26 AM »
I guess it would be good to use to maintain a clean connection.  But you should have a clean working connection first.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
I agree you should start with good clean corrosion free connections.

Whe I began working on EM pinballs I got jumped on because I was told that dielectric was a crutch that shouldn't be used.

I use it on everything electrical except I stay away from using it on car computer connections as I have been told that the dielectric can carry  miniscule amounts of

electricity over and it is enough to send some stray voltage to a car computer?

BTW I am awaiting another optic board to try and fix my machine.

I have been studying the issue and several have found it to be power supply related.

I just replaced my power supply. Machine ran fine then the coin mech went out. wondering if the power supply tanked?

The voltage was written on my OEM power supply and when I checked the new one they were within .02 volts of each other.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »
New  power supplies need to be adjusted to 5.2 volts. There is post about this from NLG member BadBaud. It's a voltage setting that Bally uses .

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »
His post was the one that prompted me to replace the module in the powersupply.

Badbaud said 5.16

And I was aware of the voltage requirement. Hand written on the OEM p/s it listed the voltage at 5.01. When I tested mine it was set at 5.02.

So I left it alone. The machine fired right up and I guess I played less than 100 quarters then it stopped taking them.

I have an optics board waiting for me when I get home tonight (thank you slotsforhome).

I'll double check the voltages and possibly tweek it a lil higher before I try the new board.

Thanx for your input.

-=Fred=-

BTW I am attaching a pic of the module and the adjustment screw
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:18:29 AM by DirtinLa »

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
The new optic board worked (thanx slotsforhome)

never changed the voltage

All up and working fine.

Thanx as always for everyone's help

-=Fred=-

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:14 PM »
I have had luck reflowing all the components solder joints.  The  constant vibration from quarters passing through the optics can cause bad connections.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal