New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Ballys 831  (Read 1401 times)

Offline dfsmith

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • dfsmith New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Ballys 831
« on: November 07, 2019, 09:12:58 AM »
i have just gotten a ballys 831 3 reel machine it works fine but does not do 3 coins. It'll accept them but the payout line lights do not light up to suggest your increasing your bet. is there anything I can look at?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Ballys 831
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
Sounds like the stepper unit located behind the top glass is not advancing.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline dfsmith

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
Thanks i'll check it out

Offline dfsmith

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:11 AM »
I found one of the stepper solenoids bad I think. I'm going to replace it see what happens.

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
Sounds like a good idea 👍
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:08:47 PM »
if the step-up solenoid coil on the line unit looks ok, check the switches on the line step-up relay.  Should be the bottom relay on the right bracket in the top.

the first coin deposited should release the handle, the second and third coin should power the line step-up relay and that relay stays powered until the line unit steps up.

to find the problem, you ideally want to know if the line step-up relay is powering on the second coin deposit.  Not sure if you can see around the lamp panel to tell.

the 831 had a lot of variations.  If you need more info, please post the full model number off the metal plate on the right side of the cabinet.

Offline rdaniel

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • rdaniel New User barely matters.rdaniel New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 08:28:08 PM »
The lamp panel can be lowered forward by removing the 4 screws holding it in place. Once down you should be able to see the total workings of the feature unit, including the odds unit and the switches.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:54:54 AM »
Smith:

This is a case where a set of extension cables come in VERY handy if you have or can get them. To see how the parts up there interact in real time in invaluable. 

Many many years ago I bought an 831 to repair and re sell with the same problem.  My first thought was the coil also.  Since I did not have one handy I cleaned the wiper fingers  and wiper board with some dollar store 3M pad  [/size]in the head unit and loosened the tension on the center Phillips screw ever so slightly.  I then put some lite lubricant on a coin wrapper and passed the wrapper beneath each finger.  The game has been working for the last decade.  Seems that there was too much resistance for the coil to overcome.

This was my experience your mileage may vary.  Please keep us posted.

Ra

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 06:26:03 AM »
Clean and inspect the odds step up unit. Like Ra said, could be a bad connection or dirty contact. Not sure about your machine, but I thinking coin 1 lights come on when the machine is powered up. Take a look at the common silver wire, it might be open before the first light socket. Thus no lights at all. Try jumping 6 volts from a working light circuit to the odds lights, as a process of elimination.

Offline dfsmith

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »
After I've played around with getting to know how it all works it's definitely the reset coil so I have one ordered. Next problem is the nickel sometimes gets stuck between the coin mechanism and the switch shoot before the hopper. I disassembled it and cleaned up and deburred and filed smooth the wear it works better but still gets stuck 1 out 20 times alittle bump on the door makes it drop. Any ideas? Your guys knowledge is great. Thanks!

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
Switch wire might be slightly catching on the edge of the guide slot.
The coin mechanism may need to be removed and cleaned with compressed air.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Where exactly is the coin getting hung up? Take a pic if possible. I have dad the hang up on the diverted plate and coming out of the coin mech.
And remember...

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 12:21:57 PM »
After I've played around with getting to know how it all works it's definitely the reset coil so I have one ordered.

while a solenoid coil wire can break off the solder lug due to vibration, that's rare and you can unwind a turn of wire and reattach it.  Otherwise, the coil typically burns up because a controlling switch is stuck closed.

if your reset coil is toasted, verify the wipers whizz back to the reset position when you push in the reset coil plunger.  If the wipers drag, you need to clean off the rivets and maybe take the unit apart to clean off the white plastic ratchet if someone has been putting lubricants on it.

in the worst case, the wipers stick when rotating back to reset.  If that happens, the "open-at-0" switches on the side  of the unit won't open, the reset coil will be held powered and it will burn up.

if you take off the wipers, note they can be mounted on the shaft two ways ... don't put them on the wrong way. 

when removing and especially installing the wipers, hold onto the ratchet so it doesn't move away from the unit frame.  If it moves far enough, the stop barb will disengage and you'll need to deal with repositioning the ratchet and retensioning the spring - 1.75 +/- 1/4 turn of tension is typical.

with the wipers off and the reset plunger held in, the ratchet should spin easily with no signs of binding.

the center screw holding on the wipers should always be tightened down.  If the wipers are applying too much pressure to the rivets, you are supposed to bend the wipers up a little to lighten the tension.  That's easiest if you take off the wipers since you ideally want all the contacts to be hanging down to the same level.

the wipers can be run dry on the rivets, but as RA said a thin film of lubricant will help.  The old timers used "bally lubricant" or mineral oil (3-in-1).  You can use anything that doesn't get sticky.

Offline essmeier

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • essmeier New User has no influence.
  • CTE
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »
I found one of the stepper solenoids bad I think.

That's easy enough to test, and I'd do that before replacing it.

Get a jumper with alligator clips.  Clip one end to any convenient 30 (yellow) wire.  There are lots of those in the feature unit near the stepper; I usually use one that's tied to a lamp socket, as they're all over the place up there.

Your coil in question will have two terminals on it.  One will have an orange wire, and the other will have a wire that is some other color.

With the machine powered on, touch the other end of the jumper to the terminal on the coil in question thathas the wire going to it that is notorange.

If the coil is good, the stepper will advance.  If nothing happens, the coil is likely bad.  If you blew a fuse, you touched one of your clips to something you shouldn't have.

Offline jeng212121

• Reputation Power: 0
  • jeng212121 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »
After I've played around with getting to know how it all works it's definitely the reset coil so I have one ordered. Next problem is the nickel sometimes gets stuck between the coin mechanism and the switch shoot before the hopper. I disassembled it and cleaned up and deburred and filed smooth the wear it works better but still gets stuck 1 out 20 times alittle bump on the door makes it drop. Any ideas? Your guys knowledge is great. Thanks!

I was wondering where did you find a reset coil?........I think I am in need of one   

thanks

Offline essmeier

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • essmeier New User has no influence.
  • CTE
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
You might try Pinball Resource (pbresource.com).  They've got a ton of Bally coils, and Bally tended to use parts across all of their game platforms.

If you don't see it here, send them a message.  They've probably got one that will work.

They've got good prices, too.  I recently had to rebuild 17 leaf switches for my Bally 891 and I bought all of the parts from them.

Offline GOS

• Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
ebay 162785226702

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »

I'm confused by your original symptom and which coil is bad.  The reset coil is the smaller one with the vertical plunger.  Do you mean the step-up coil is bad? 

a problem with step-up makes sense per amechanics reply in post 2, tho coil failure is rare unless a switch sticks closed and then you'd have a lump of charcoal instead of a coil.

fwiw: 

the reset coil part number is C-28-1100.  The old bally part number was 28-R-15 or CO-28R-15

the step-up coil part number is B-25-925.  Old part number was 25-GG-7.

both those coils were used for 30+ years on bally bingo and flipper pinball machines, so they are easy to find new or used.  Typical pricing is around $10 new...google for them.

Offline jeng212121

• Reputation Power: 0
  • jeng212121 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:29 PM »
After looking at a pic of the reset coil for my slot, I may have realized I may not have a 831.............reason being, I was able to obtain the p/n of the reset coil on my machine is a Bally M-37-2700.
  I proceeded to search further into buying one and nobody in the US has any and I found a used one on ebay for 9.00
   Would the reset coil part number give anyone a hint as to what machine I have?...sorry for no pics, haven't learned how to do upload pics.  It is a 25 cent machine and it just saids "quarter"with fruits.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »

m-37-2700 isn't a stepper solenoid coil, it's a small relay coil that is typically used behind the coin mech on the front door.

sounds like we are all talking about very different things ... oops.  May be time to start over :-)

you can find a manual for the 831 in http://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/bally_manuals/ - you want the bally 2400 manual.  It has exploded parts diagrams.  Most of the posts on this thread have been talking about page 56.

wrt the model number, it should be on a metal plate on the outside of the cabinet below the handle.

if there's no metal plate, take a look at the metal index disks attached to the reels.  Is there a P-484-xxx number stamped on the face of them (you may need to spin the reels to find the number)?  There's also numbers on the back side of the glass pieces.

if you're taking pics from your phone, you can email them to slotpics@cdyn.com and I'll post them here.   Posting pics to this forum is kinda annoying since the size limits are smaller than a typical phone pic and it won't just resize something bigger for you.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal