New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Testing MPU Outside of Machine? With PC Monitor?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Testing MPU Outside of Machine? With PC Monitor?
« on: July 14, 2023, 04:43:31 AM »
I have an S9000 5 Reel Game that I recently set up and had it playing great.

The problem started out with the LCD color flickering in and out, which then moved to the entire display going black intermittently until it just finally went black. Now it just stays powered off (red LED).

I suspected a bad LCD, so I swapped in a spare, still no video. I get the LED to turn Green on power up, display reads "No Signal" then LED goes Red.

Now I'm thinking I have a faulty MPU not sending Video Out. So, I tried 3 spare MPUs with still no change.

My questions are...

1. Can you test an MPU on the bench with just the MPU, it's Power Supply and a Computer Monitor? Or does it require the other 2 Main Power Supplies located inside of the Cabinet?

2. Could this be a Cable Problem or the Bulkhead Connector between the Upper and Lower Cabinet? I'm not quite ready to disassemble the machine to start swapping Cables yet, but will if it needs to be done.

If I can't bench test, I will try to link an external Cable directly from MPU to rear of LCD.

Thanks, Curtis ash100
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Testing MPU Outside of Machine? With PC Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 06:49:37 AM »
I use a Dell desktop monitor and CPU to test CF cards. All that's needed is the power cord and a VGA cable. Obviously the game won't completely boot but it gets to the point of turn the attendant key.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Ash100

• Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 07:42:02 AM »
Thanks Ron,

That's the direction I'll head in first.

Curtis ash100

Offline coolwavepic

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 11:58:35 PM »
Thanks Ron,

That's the direction I'll head in first.

Curtis ash100

Did you figure this out? If you having the issue on 3 different MPUs and you are getting power since you said "No signal" shows up on the other monitor, check and make sure the VGA cable isn't loose between the MPU > Middle of the cabinet > Top box to the monitor. Also just run a standard VGA cable from the MPU to the monitor. I have a ton of new VGA cables laying around and I had a color issue that was caused by the OEM VGA cable. See if that helps.

If you fixed the issue, please post your fix so others who may have this same issue can troubleshoot as well.
-------
Charles

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 04:46:12 AM »
Yes, and no, as far as figuring this one out.

I bench tested all of my spare Bally MPUs, all produce video via VGA to a PC LCD Monitor.

Installed good MPU into Cabinet, no video. Slaved in new VGA Cable from Bulkhead Connector to top LCD, still no video. VGA from MPU straight to LCD, video is present.

So, it's either the lower VGA Cable or the Feed thru Connector.

I'll pull the Reels to access the Cable end and go from there. But, I'm guessing that I'll have a good fix once I replace the lower cable or bypass the Feed thru.

I'll update this post once complete.

Thanks,

Curtis ash100

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal