New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT S+ doing nothing but ding-ding through the speaker  (Read 5542 times)

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • mwade109 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
IGT S+ doing nothing but ding-ding through the speaker
« on: August 08, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »
I got this S machine to take a look at and I have to admit, now that I am old, I forget a lot of the S S+ stuff.  The machine does nothing but a continuous two tone ding through the speaker, does not matter if door is open or closed, no change. I seem to remember that being a door open sound but don't really remember and can't find any videos of this version S+ machines on youtube to check.  That put me in the direction of the door optics maybe being bad but after trying a known good set it does the same.  The battery on the main board is dead, when ahead and replaced that just to rule it out.  The candle is not lit at all but that could always be a bulb, hadn't checked that. As you can see in the picture the game is on but nothing in the displays.  Any ideas?

My other question, does the S use the same clear chip as the S+?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 05:26:42 PM by mwade109 »

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: IGT S (not plus) doing nothing but ding-ding through the speaker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 05:36:19 PM »
Your machine is a S plus (no BV) not S. Check for the typical burned connector that sends power to the MB at J8.
Also check that your connection for the meters is not plugged into the wrong connector.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 06:17:20 PM »
Thanks, I will check that in the morning.
I thought I remember once being told that S had the mainboard on the left and S+ had it in the back, thats what I was going by. Been a long time since I had anything to do with s or s+ and now I just picked up a couple slant tops that are one or the other, haven't had time to look at them yet.
ANyway, will report my findings tomorrow.  The connection for the meters should not be plugged into the wrong place as they were working according to the owner and he did not go into it at all but I will check the connections for that.

Your machine is a S plus (no BV) not S. Check for the typical burned connector that sends power to the MB at J8.
Also check that your connection for the meters is not plugged into the wrong connector.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 06:22:51 PM »
IGT S+'s have cabinet versions that have the MPU located BOTH on the left-hand side AND back walls.
The older S+'s had the MPU located on the left wall and power supply in the back.
Later, when the bill validators became an option, they designed a power supply box and that went underneath the cash box area.

The S+ MPU always plugged into a floor mounted motherboard, while the straight "S" MPU plugs into a wiring harness.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:57:50 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 06:39:01 PM »
Thanks, I edited the post to reflect it is actually a S+

IGT S+'s have cabinet versions that have the MPU located BOTH on the left-hand side AND back walls.
The olderS+'s had the MPU located on the left wall and power supply in the back.
Later, when the bill validators became an option, they designed a power supply box and that went underneath the cash box area.

The S+ MPU always plugged into a floor mounted motherboard, while the straight "S" MPU plugs into a wiring harness.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: IGT S+ doing nothing but ding-ding through the speaker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 11:36:07 PM »
On a normally operating machine, the only thing that would result in a continuous repeating tone would be the jackpot lockup sound. To turn that off you would turn the jackpot reset key switch on the side of the machine once and release it.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »
UPDATE: There is no indication whatsoever that J8 has ever heated up, and contacts are clean.
The meters plug is plugged in correctly where you have noted on your picture.
I have reseated all the connectors that I could find.

Can you tell me, on this type S+, does the display on the door turn off when the door is open?

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 10:07:54 AM »
Yes it does.  Did you turn reset key as Knagl suggested (with the door closed).

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 10:15:46 AM »
Yes, I have tried the reset key with the door open and closed, no results.  I tested the actual reset switch w/multimeter, switch works fine.
I have tried the small white button both quickly and holding it in and nothing changes.

Yes it does.  Did you turn reset key as Knagl suggested (with the door closed).

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 10:59:56 AM »
I'd check the candle light bulbs and connections to make sure they're good.  If they are good, but not blinking then you likely have a MPU problem.

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »
Will do that shortly.  I am still not convinced that it is seeing the door as being opened/closed.  I tried a set of optics I had laying around and there was no change but I cant say for sure they work.  I had made a bypass for testing in the past but cant find it.  I have this instruction but I assume it is for a s2000 as the harness colors do not match what the harness here has.  The instructions all pertain to the harness color, not the optic wire colors. Can you maybe tell? I'm not going to use a cherry switch si it will be a 'door closed only' test piece.  My door harness colors are  green & black w/purple strips and my cabinet harness is red & green. Can you direct me on this test piece? This picture is what I am going by.

I'd check the candle light bulbs and connections to make sure they're good.  If they are good, but not blinking then you likely have a MPU problem.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2023, 12:59:17 PM »
I've never bypassed the door optics on a S+ or S2000 so I don't  know.  Bunker or someone can answer that for you I'm sure.

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »
Anyone have a tested S+ Mainboard at a affordable price? I figured I would test with the two S+ slant tops I just got recently only to find out the batteries exploded in both of them, and because they are mounted vertically, the acid ran all the way down the board, on one of them killing the reel chip and holder, the other one hitting on transistors along the way.  Not the outcome I was looking for.  So, now I need a mpu to test with, although I'd still like to try bypassing the optics.

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 03:16:49 PM »
....I have this instruction but I assume it is for a s2000 as the harness colors do not match what the harness here has...

I'm the one that drew that door optics bypass drawing years ago for an IGT S2000.

There's a couple of ways to bypass an S+.
I can easily help you with that.
Please, allow me to ask you, are proficient with soldering?
And, would you have any cherry, rocker, or toggle switches laying around?
Really, probably should wait until you get a working MPU.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 02:17:10 PM »
Ok, so here is where it stands.
I found a S+ board stuffed away and went ahead and set it up with the known working chips from my 10x Pay slant top.  Worked great in the slant top.
Went ahead and tried the setup in the upright I've been having the problems with, still nothing on the display but the ding-ding was gone (with the 10x chips installed).  So, I went ahead and tried the upright chips into my slant top and the display went blank, just like the upright but it was not making any ding ding.
Kinda puzzling.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 06:14:30 PM »
Pull out the multimeter.
You need to check the voltages - as RB suggested.
What voltages are coming out of your power supply-to-the-power-connector in Reply#1?
Are the reels "stiff" when powered up?
Wiggle that power Molex connector while watching the display.
See if the display comes on at all, but also watch the reel baskets.
They should act like there's life somewhere, as you're wiggling the plug up an down. side to side.
If not, I'd swap power supply boxes between cabinets to chase down the problem.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 07:27:32 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2023, 12:37:41 PM »
Not sure where to test for the power and I cannot swap the power supply out as my other s+ because it is a slant top.
This machine does not have a simple replaceable power supply that I can see, it is more of a open transformer thing that I can see. (pics)
There is no resistance on the reels at any time, not when first starting or after it has been on a bit.
I can wiggle and reseat any of the connectors but never see anything on the display.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 07:37:46 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2023, 07:16:10 AM »
Okay, you have the older model power supply unit that goes in the rear of the cabinet.
On the left-hand side of the power supply's transformer is a white 6-pin Molex plug that goes to the motheboard at location [J8].
This was the connector I wanted you to wiggle upwards to see if the display comes on or the reels get stiff.
Those female pins inside the Molex connector plug are where you need to get the voltages from.
I have red arrows pointing to the power Molex plug in one of your photos below.
Click on any photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

If there aren't any voltages on the pins, check the three fuses above the transfomer.
Top to bottom...>>>
6A
8A
6A
Quick-blow fuses only.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 07:42:36 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2023, 12:01:46 PM »
Here are the results from voltage tests:
Pin
1 = 12.27
3 = 7.10
4 = 8.41
5 = 24.55

All three fuses are tested good, not with my old eyes but rang out with the multimeter.

Ideas?

Okay, you have the older model power supply unit that goes in the rear of the cabinet.
On the left-hand side of the power supply's transformer is a white 6-pin Molex plug that goes to the motheboard at location [J8].
This was the connector I wanted you to wiggle upwards to see if the display comes on or the reels get stiff.
Those female pins inside the Molex connector plug are where you need to get the voltages from.
I have red arrows pointing to the power Molex plug in one of your photos below.
Click on any photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

If there aren't any voltages on the pins, check the three fuses above the transfomer.
Top to bottom...>>>
6A
8A
6A
Quick-blow fuses only.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:47:14 AM by mwade109 »

Online mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2023, 06:43:49 AM »
Anyone have any ideas?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal