New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Machine Immediately Goes to Displays Netplex Link is Down and "No Disp"  (Read 682 times)

Offline 121940kz

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • 121940kz New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Here is a video also demonstrating the issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rsomrHzyxf4LFfwb9

I need some more troubleshooting advice on an IGT S2000 5 reel machine I’m working on. It’s a beautiful machine, was working in the past and then stopped. When powered on it does not even do any self tests, it immediately goes to displays netplex link is down on the VFD and “no disp” on the winner paid / credits 7 segment display, which I read means MPU can’t contact the VFD. But yet the VFD is working and displaying text Here is what I’ve tried:

•   Checked the voltages of the power supply, it was registering correct on the red, orange, and black wires
•   Swapped the VFD with another one from my good machine – no changes. Is there a separate VFD controller somewhere?
•   Put this machines 1270 enhanced into my other machine and it boots up fine – so the board is good
•   Put my other machine’s 1270 into this machine and same result, immediately goes to netplex link down when turned on
•   I unplugged netplex devices – no changes.

So if there is a VFD controller maybe it’s that but I thought my VFD had the controller built into it. Otherwise would it be the backplane? Or one of the other netplex boards? Just trying to figure out what component could be bad causing this behavior. Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 10:31:02 AM by 121940kz »

Offline dailey

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: Machine Immediately Goes to Displays Netplex Link is Down and "No Disp"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 08:45:25 PM »
The most common cause for Netplex Link Down is the power supply. Keep in mind that even with the correct voltages the power supply could still be bad. If the pin 7 reference voltage is wrong, it will pull everything down. Try another power supply.

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 09:01:28 PM »
The most common cause for Netplex Link Down is the power supply. Keep in mind that even with the correct voltages the power supply could still be bad. If the pin 7 reference voltage is wrong, it will pull everything down. Try another power supply.
Thanks, I'll pull a power supply from a parts machine I have, and see if that can make a difference

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 09:55:25 PM »
Just swapped the power supply with another, and same behavior. So not the power supply it would seem.

Offline dailey

• dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 12:01:45 AM »
I agree you have ruled out the power supply. What happens when you power up and let the machine set for 5 minutes or more under power (reels installed). Will it try to come to life, reels spin, bill validator cycle ?

There is an excellent article in slot tech magazine about troubleshooting Netplex Link Down. It's a must read for anyone that owns an S2000. Follow the link to the archives and look for the June 2015 issue.  https://web.archive.org/web/20191028195210/https://slot-techs.com/magazine/backissues.htm

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 08:52:36 AM »
I agree you have ruled out the power supply. What happens when you power up and let the machine set for 5 minutes or more under power (reels installed). Will it try to come to life, reels spin, bill validator cycle ?

There is an excellent article in slot tech magazine about troubleshooting Netplex Link Down. It's a must read for anyone that owns an S2000. Follow the link to the archives and look for the June 2015 issue.  https://web.archive.org/web/20191028195210/https://slot-techs.com/magazine/backissues.htm
So I did do that, the reels did all spin up after a few minutes which was something I'd never seen yet so that's good. I heard bv cycle again. The left 7 segment display turned on and I still get netplex down and the other 7 segment flashing no disp. i have the top box printer unplugged for now, I noticed when it was plugged in, sometimes it would come on and sometimes not. I wonder if that top netplex card could be causing this??

Online lookes

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 08:57:37 AM »
Does your VFD display have a wide flat cable on it? Some displays do have a separate controller mounted in the door.
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 09:06:15 AM »
Does your VFD display have a wide flat cable on it? Some displays do have a separate controller mounted in the door.
no my VFD has the red and black power cable and the green netplex plug. That's why I was curious if this type had a separate controller or if it was built in. But I did swap the entire VFD with and working one with no changes in behavior.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »
Your particular display uses LED's (Light Emitting Diode), and located above the bill validator.
The VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) is the blue display behind the reel glass just above the button deck, towards the hinge side of the door.
That blue display WILL have a controller attached to the back of the door panel connected via a multi-colored flat ribbon cable and powered by a 2-pin black and red wired harness.

I wonder if that top Netplex card could be causing this??

If it looks like in the attached picture, it's called a "T/B Power Distribution board"...basically, it is just a "splitter", so you can plug up to three extra other Netplex peripheral devices....as well as extra power outlets for stuff like a topbox-mounted printer, progressive displays, and candles.
Only if somehow maybe during a move, especially if the machine was laying flat on it's back, could something possibly fall in behind it and short it out, however, because of it's fairly high, back wall mouned location, usually nothing happens to it.
It's fairy easy to remove the 4 screws that hold it to the wall, and inspect behind it for a short.
Just make sure the power switch is off first.

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 11:18:38 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 10:50:50 AM »
So after some time the machine did try to come to life. This means the cause of the problem is a Netplex device or out in the line.

Isolate netplex devices one at a time and check the wiring. The printer ribbon cable often causes problems. Also the VFD ribbon cable. You have a Sentry bill validator display on the door. Remember this is part of a netplex circuit. These wires can sometimes get pinched when closing the door.

If you still can't locate the problem, there are 4 Netplex sockets on the mother board. By disconnecting one at a time to narrow down the search.

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 11:17:07 AM »
So after some time the machine did try to come to life. This means the cause of the problem is a Netplex device or out in the line.

Isolate netplex devices one at a time and check the wiring. The printer ribbon cable often causes problems. Also the VFD ribbon cable. You have a Sentry bill validator display on the door. Remember this is part of a netplex circuit. These wires can sometimes get pinched when closing the door.

If you still can't locate the problem, there are 4 Netplex sockets on the mother board. By disconnecting one at a time to narrow down the search.
I think I'm going to try switching out the back plane motherboard. I totally disconnected the top netplex card in the top glass area and it didn't make a difference so I don't think it's that. It just seems like if the MPU is immediately not talking to netplex maybe that backplane is next to blame. I'll keep everyone updated. Let me know if any other ideas as well.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 11:26:16 AM »
Let me know if any other ideas as well.

Watch and see if the "No Disp" changes at all if you wiggle door wires, and door harnesses?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 05:25:35 PM »
I know this machine is a different one with the 504 board but this thread sounds extremely similar to my situation https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=30925.0

I won't have time tonight to inspect or replace the back plane motherboard tonight, but I'm hoping that's where my issue is. I'll report back soon!

Offline 121940kz

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 11:03:55 PM »
Well the anticipation was killing me...I switched out the back plane motherboard and wouldn't you know it, that was the issue! 5 reel triple red hot 7 is alive again. Now I just need to wait for my RK key chip to come in and mail because I've not needed one for an R board until now. I need to set the machine type and such before I can actually play it but I'm there guys. She was a tricky one

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal