New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help with Bally E-1275-1 Golden Continental motor driven reels (E2000??)  (Read 14355 times)

Offline jancsi

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • jancsi New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I collect a Bally  E-1275-1 Golden Continental.
It looks like E2000 series with credit version, with  motor driven reels, and old 50V reel reader board.
I manage to repair it, but sometimes (after 5-30 minute play) when all  reels stopped I can't play again.
Start button and any button doesn't lit up. Tilt Lamp doesn't lit , and haven't any error code.
When I push reset button or door hinge switch or door open switch the buttons lamp light and can play again.
What's the problem?

Jancsi
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
That's a terrific looking old machine, where did you find it?

There is a switch just behind one of the door hinges, it might be mis-adjusted and not working right when the door is closed. Maybe with machine vibration or whatever after a while the door switch changes and the mpu now thinks the door is open, refuses to play? I think it is near the top door hinge. You can adjust the hinge switch so that it works more reliably. I'd also check the other door switch you mentioned.

Also, these machines are notorious for over-heated or faulty contacts on the power supply connector. Look at it closely to see if there are any brown or blackened areas, that will indicate high heat from an intermittent contact. The machine will suddenly just act dead, then moving the power cable will bring it back to life.

Another thing to check is the mpu board, if it has a battery it could be leaking and causing flaky operation.

Can you post pictures of the inside of your machine, particularly the mpu and I/O boards?

below is an example of a bad power supply connector, the power supply location and the door hinge switch on a similar machine-
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:37:58 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jancsi

• NLG
I found it in Europe Austria (I live in Hungary).
I played with open door (door switch wire I put another contact) door hinge was ok. too.
Battery not leaking yet but looks like original (??) white battery on CPU board.
On the door inside is  a small status  display it doesn't show any error (00000) during play and  when it stopped.
For door switch or door hinge switch show this small display 50000.

Tomorrow I take photo inside machine, and I will post.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
The Bally E-1XXX models are similar to the E-2XXX models in several ways. There was a recent long discussion thread here about the repair of a E-2000 machine, it could be helpful to you if you want to read thru it to see the problems that machine had:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=5843.0

I think that display that shows 50 000 is a normal and good display indication when the machine is ready to be played, as was mentioned in the discussion thread above. I am not as familiar with these machines as others here, especially on the mechanical reels and their alignment, they will be able to answer your questions also.

If you moved the door switch wire to the other switch terminal contact that might be incorrect, the switch has both a normally open contact and a normally closed contact on one end, and the common terminal contact on the other end. If the wire is on the wrong terminal it would have opposite effect. Post picture of the switch so we can if it is correct, unless you are sure it is ok.

Does your power supply connector look burned or darkened?

Other problem areas are the fuse caps, they can get corroded or intermittent over the years. You can examine them to see how they look. If tapping or twisting them a little causes machine to malfunction they need to be replaced or shined. Inside the fuseholder is spring tensioner that gets weak or corroded sometimes.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jancsi

• NLG
I moved the door switch wire to the other switch terminal contact because I want testing (playing) on machine with opened door.
When I want close door to play I put back wire terminal to original position.
I can check  power supply connector tomorrow.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
I moved the door switch wire to the other switch terminal contact because I want testing (playing) on machine with opened door.
When I want close door to play I put back wire terminal to original position.
I can check  power supply connector tomorrow.
ok, now I understand about the door switch wire, all is ok.

Here is something from the Bally E-Series machine manual that might be helpful for playing game with door open or closed, no matter, will not cause tilt error. It involves removing the ground jumper located at I/O board J2 pin 8.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:12:38 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
The E2000 with credit features, in my experience, need the battery on the MPU at 3.6 volts. I recommend changing the battery before you proceed with other diagnoses . Might not be the entire issue but the battery may be old and start leaking acid  anyway.

Offline jancsi

• NLG
Picture inside 1.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline jancsi

• NLG
Picture inside 2.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline jancsi

• NLG
Picture inside 3.
I cheked battery after machine was stayed  12 hour power off , battery voltage was 4.1V.
Power supply connector ok, not burned.
In this machine has 2 IO boards?
Another E2000 has also 2 IO board or another has only 1?

Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
There are others here with more experience than I have on the older Bally machines like yours. So I will say my comments to get things started and others can correct me where wrong and add to answers.

I have not seen a model like yours except one other time. It is impressive. From your idplate it says model 1275-1 so I think it is a Bally E-1000 machine with options. It does have a E-2000 mpu board but that is not uncommon, others have said the mpu boards are interchangeable between E-1000 and E-2000 machines. Your machine does have two I/O boards, probably because of the options and it is more complicated machine. One of the I/O boards is probably used for the normal things and the other is for the huge display glass with all those lamps at top of the machine. Each lamp requires an I/O line.

Your machine also has sound, there are 2 sound boards that are located near the speaker. Running thru the sound area are 2 added wires (red & black) that are not part of the original wiring. They may carry a control signal or power, they go over to the back of the top door glass. The photos don't show where they are connected on the other end in top of machine.

The mpu board has what looks like an original white cylinder battery. I would inspect it carefully for leakage as it is many years old now. A measurement of 4.1v seems odd, as these are normally 3.6v at most. Did you measure it with power to the machine turned off? If not, you would be measuring the charging voltage from machine power supply to battery. There may be writing on the battery that says what it is. Perhaps someone has replaced the original battery with a newer one that is higher voltage and there are no worries. The 4.1v is ok, it is used to keep the static ram memory data alive, they are the 2 chips labeled "5101" that are nearby to battery.

You said in your original posting that the machine plays ok, the problem is that after a while it will stop working and you have to press reset button (on hopper board??) and then machine will wake up and work again, is that correct? When it stops working do all of the lights go out, even the general lighting, pushbutton lights, everything? Is it as if all power is shutting off? And all it takes to work again is open & close door, or press reset button?

Do you have manuals for the Bally E series machines?

I brightened the pictures so I could see detail better-
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:56:38 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline jancsi

• NLG
When I messured battery voltage machine power was switch off state (and before all night was off state)
In this machine hasn't hopper.
All inserted coin go directly into cashbox.
It has on the left side has 2 keys one Credit input key (with dip switch can I setting credit value from 10-150 for one turn), and credit zero key.
Right side has one key for bookkeping.

inside in upper right corner  has 3 button: test, reset,display .
Inside in machine I found some paper with game information about this game,game description and dipswitch setting.
Test data showed on small inside dipsplay, and same game data by pressing display switch.
In E1000-machine was Sound card?

When stopped light doesn't go out , display showed cerdit and selectes stacke, only  buttons (Start, Stack select and Hold buttons) doesn't light up after 1-2 sec when reels stopped.

Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
Is machine configured without hopper, or is hopper missing by mistake? How would machine pay customer for winnings? Perhaps that is problem, when you play for some time and then hit winning result on machine it attempts to pay and without hopper there is error? But on display there is no error code, just 50 000?

Yes, I think it is E-1000 machine with options like sound. But it does have E-2000 mpu. Maybe I am wrong but someone else will say.

When it is working does reel mechanism sound ok, no unusual noise such as grinding or uneven mechanical operation like it is struggling? The reels have reader boards and if they are misaligned or dirty contacts that can maybe cause intermittent operation.

When machine stops working and pushbuttons do not light what does it take to get machine to work again? Just by wiggling something, or just by opening door and closing it, or do you have to press reset button? Have you tried running built in self test, the mpu board has self test that can check many things. It is described in the manual, do you have any Bally manual that gives machine operation and testing info?

Offline jancsi

• NLG
For press reset button or open  door hinge and close or door switch  (what you post) working again for  5-30 min.
On this machine wasn't original hopper.
I  have dowloaded E-series manual (66 page), and I found 9 game specific  page in machine (from FSO-652-388)
Have you another manual?

The two wire red and black (before sound cards) go to coin input (2  coin switch was changed with  optical coin sensor pcb, what you can see on my 1.st inside picture.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member

Do you mean the machine is supposed to have a hopper and it is missing, or the machine is modified to operate without hopper?

Since machine is without hopper then customer does not receive coins on winning? So is this machine for amusement only, not gambling? The hopper is where the Test and Reset pushbutton switches are normally located on E-1000 and E-2000 machines, so without hopper those switches are on panel inside your machine (along with "Display" button, I do not know what this is, maybe to test lamps behind upper glass??).

Are you able to perform self-test with the test switch?

I have another manual, it may contain similar info as the one you already have, but perhaps it will have helpful info,  can you tell me your email address, this manual is too large to attach here?

The documents you found inside machine, are they helpful for operation and troubleshooting?

Offline jancsi

• NLG
This machine not supposed hopper.
It has reset button  on upper right corner.
It was factory built without hopper,with  crerdit key and credit zero key (hand payout by attendant or waitress) too.
All winnigs go to creedit meter and no cash out is payd out.
All coins entered go straight into to cashbox.
It say the page too what I found in machine.
On machine is sticker "For Amusements Only" in German language.
When  win can winning add to credit, gamble double or nothing, os half gamble-double or nothing.
I will scan the 9 page what I was  found in machine and  will post it.
It describe display button, show accounting data on small inside display.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
ok, I have returned from lunch with my wife and saw your new postings. I have sent email to you with info that may be helpful.

There is another arcade repair forum that has long 7 page discussion on this nearly exact machine but unfortunately it is written in French language. They post many pictures of that machine and it reminds me of yours, very similar (see photo below). Are you capable in French or perhaps have French speaking friend?

http://www.flipjuke.fr/mas-bally-golden-continental-1275-306-t95827.html

Also, what about doing self-test using TEST button, have you tried that? During self-test the digital display will show all 6 decimal points (periods) in 6 digit display, along with numbers.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:57:13 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline jancsi

• NLG
I received it, thanks!
I will try it tomorrow.
I come home, and machine is in my workplace.
Here is after 10 PM now.
This machine what you post like look as my machine in another color, except my machine is motor driven.
I  will translate it with google.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline jancsi

• NLG
I stopped when I play  test play too with open door.
In test mode for door hinge switch can't continue normal play only reset button.

Reel reader board lamp still light when it has stopped (play test or normal play too).

If has any error during spin  (stop manual reel or any error )  reel reader lamp switched off, but it still light.

Reel reader lap also  switched off if no credit in machine.
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
Remove your power supply and look at the solder joints on the header connector. I have seen several bad solder joints in that area. Look closely, as you will likely find separation between the trace pads and the pins. The original power supply used a single-sided PC board and heat/vibration/time will almost always cause intermittent connections.

You will need to scrape and clean each pin in order to re-solder the connection. A bad or intermittent connection here will result in the same problem you are experiencing.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal