New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT Fam 20 error  (Read 511 times)

Offline Techguy

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Techguy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT Fam 20 error
« on: March 20, 2024, 05:58:38 AM »
Hey,

Getting this error when trying to run diagnostic on a Fam 20 cpu.

Any one can help?

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: IGT Fam 20 error
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 06:16:08 AM »
What onscreen message do you get if you try to boot up without the Diagnostic USB?
The message is telling you something is wrong with the BIOS.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Techguy

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 01:19:09 PM »
Ok

So I left the machine alone for a bit and when i came back the machine started up but when i was clearing diagnostics the machine froze and restarted. When it restarted i checked and the OS, Foundation and game packages was removed from my previous attempt to clear. So i proceeded to reload the OS Foundation and Game packages. It allowed me to and upon restart with the E KEy to set the machine up it reached to a point and then restarted and just continued to loop there.

Was not able to try anything as that was the time i had.

Offline sccarlso

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 02:21:44 PM »
What OS and Ascent versions are you loading?

There are many where I had crazy issues with like random reboots and such, rebooting while loading game images, etc.

I'd recommend you do a full wipe and prepare the drive with the diag key.  Then loading these versions for your OS and Ascent Foundation if they aren't what you're currently loading.

OI020SH00403
AI020000N0003

These were the most stable for me without any major issues using a 660 brainbox with 4GB of RAM, which I upgraded a week later to 8GB and it ran much better with the extra memory.

Also based on the bios issue you experienced.  Might make sure both the bios chips are seated properly.   One loose contact and that could cause the bios error, as well a random reboots.

I did have mine reboot randomly a few times when booted with the diag key when installing a lot of game titles at once.   So I loaded just a few to setup, then went back to diag and loaded the others, but not all at once.  And if it rebooted, I reinstalled the last game it shows is installed in addition to the remaining titles I was loading, as sometimes it would be corrupt from the reboot but still show as installed ok.   Once all was loaded, it was fine.

Offline Techguy

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 08:44:24 AM »
Can a 660 CPU hold 8gb of ram? I though the max was 4gb?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:05:05 AM by Tilt »

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 09:51:33 AM »
Can a 660 CPU hold 8gb of ram? I though the max was 4gb?
Depends on the OS.  Fam14 uses different OS than fam20, 4gb max fam14, 8gb max fam20

Offline sccarlso

• sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.sccarlso Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 11:25:12 AM »
Getting harder to find DDR2 memory.   But was able to get a 4GB stick from two different sellers for 8GB.  Identical chips and worked perfectly.

They all have the same pics, and it's exactly what they look like, and specify for AMD only.   Here is one, but there are a few sellers of the same memory.
Some can't deliver for 3 weeks though, so I got mine via Amazon sellers with prime.  But the remaining sellers there don't have many left available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ3HN6Z/

Not sure if it actually would cause problems with 8GB in a fam14 OS.  But since fam14 is a 32bit OS, it wouldn't change anything as only like 3.3GB is actually addressable with a 32bit OS.   I only put 8GB in my 660 box with fam20 boots siince fam20 is a 64bit OS, so as Mark mentioned, 8GB works.  No reason to do so at all for fam14.   Pretty sure 8GB is the max supported memory in the AVP 3.0 motherboards (with a 64bit OS installed).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 08:13:54 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Techguy

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 08:49:05 PM »
With regards to the error, the PCI card had two of the lights not working. Changed it and put new batteries in and everything worked fine.

I will definitely upgrade my ram because some games run a bit jerky with the audio skipping. Dark and Stormy is one game that's doing that so i guess the extra ram should help.

I put 4 games on the machine but ideally i would like to put 9 games.

Offline sccarlso

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 07:38:03 AM »
Dark & Stormy was fine for me with only 4GB.

It just had some audio clipping.  Going to 8GB improved that audio clipping.
Not flawless but much less noticeable.  Games loaded faster as well.

But you don’t want to load the latest & fattest OS & Ascent foundation either.  A 660 can’t use a lot of what’s in the huge versions anyway.  🙂

What OS & Ascent foundation versions did you load?

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 12:28:52 PM »
The error in the picture is because the boot 2 chips is faulty or in backwards.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 06:22:09 AM »
So "Extended Bios" means the 2nd boot chip that's located on the PCI card?
Good info RTR...  :yes: I didn't know that.  :applause:
I learn something new everyday... lol
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal