New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: A SHOCKING experience. Is your power cord old and frayed?  (Read 7682 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
As two of you know, I've been working on a Mills M head slot with the jackpot hopper. Last night I flipped on the power strip and the hopper just started running randomly off and on, spitting out nickels. So I played it to see if there was just something causing the hopper to run. When I brushed my arm against the metal coin tray, I got a little "electro- therapy!" When I inspected the power cord at the point where it goes through the bottom of the cabinet, I found what you see in the picture!
It took me 7 minutes to replace the cord with a nice new one. And I realize it's probably time to replace those other cords that are full of cracks and electrical tape. So...this is just a friendly reminder for everyone to inspect your cords before you get a little ( or big!)  :lightningbolt: :lightningbolt: :lightningbolt:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: A SHOCKING experience. Is your power cord old and frayed?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
 :agreepost:

A good idea on older machines.  :applause:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »
A good idea with ANY cords regardless of age. Another thing to watch out for is pinching the cord between the stand and the bottom of the machine. The pressure can create a hot spot and potentially start a fire. I know the S2000's at least commonly have a piece of particle board or whatever mounted to the bottom and stands are generally laminated wood or plain wood. A number of years ago on the fire department we had a case where a couch leg got set on the cord for a space heater pinching it between the leg and the carpet. They didn't lose the whole house, but most of the living room and a lot of smoke damage. It had only been plugged in a couple of weeks. Just a word of caution...

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
We replace cords before we ever fire up most machines...especially older machines!!
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »
I better get to replacing the cords on my old machines.
...I'm AFRAYED of getting shocked!  :rotfl:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Every machine that uses power gets a power entry module. With a 1-1/8" core drill, you can put it anywhere. Plus, it gives you a ton of flexibility with power cords and lengths.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
I can't imaging my Bally EM drawing too much current. Maybe my Top Dollar draws more with all the lights?
But I'd like to start replacing cords on my two old EM's and my two REALLY OLD video slots.
I went to the hardware store and just bought a 25 foot extension cord and three plugs. I thought I'd just cut up that cord and already have a plug on one replacement and then assemble two more cords with the three plugs.
The cord is 16 gauge and rated at 13 amps.
Good? I don't have these machines running all day of course.

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
This is one of the very first things I check and replace since I'm always working on older machines. Bally gave very little room for the power cord. 9 out of 10 machines I get have unsafe cords.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
A general rule of thumb is that a standard receptacle runs on 15 amps. That's with 14 ga. wire usually for lights. 12 ga. wire can handle 20amps and is supposed to use a 20 amp. receptacle. This is code talking. Try your extension cord and check for a heating problem. I don't think your machines will draw over 12 amps. But I also don't know why the font changed on this reply. Whatever........If the cords are getting hot, replace them. I don't see you having a problem. If each one is 20 feet or so long then maybe. But generally 16 will work just keep an eye on things. Error on the safe side.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
A general rule of thumb is that a standard receptacle runs on 15 amps. That's with 14 ga. wire usually for lights. 12 ga. wire can handle 20amps and is supposed to use a 20 amp. receptacle. This is code talking. Try your extension cord and check for a heating problem. I don't think your machines will draw over 12 amps. But I also don't know why the font changed on this reply. Whatever........If the cords are getting hot, replace them. I don't see you having a problem. If each one is 20 feet or so long then maybe. But generally 16 will work just keep an eye on things. Error on the safe side.

Dave

Thanks Dave (and Amechanic too!)
I think the font button has a mind of its own! I had that happen and just did ONE click on the [big]I[/big] button and it fixed it.
My cord length will be 6 foot. I hope this works. I'm about to cut cut cut!

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »
I don't foresee a problem. Items with heating elements draw lots of juice. Microwaves, toasters, curling irons, blow dryers  etc. These guys have a lot of small lights and computer works, small motors and the like. Like I said be diligent and check and for warming cords. I really don't think you'll have a problem. But I never thought my ex-wife would ever get run over by a bus either. Or that I would lose my job as a bus driver in the same day. Bummer.   :yes:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:09:21 AM by Shaggy »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
But I never thought my ex-wife would ever get run over by a bus either. Or that I would lose my job as a bus driver in the same day. Bummer.   :yes:

:24: :24: :24:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal