New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Coin switch  (Read 7910 times)

Offline SilverFerret

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • SilverFerret New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Coin switch
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
I seem to be having an issue with what I believe to be the coin switch. It will work fine for a bit and then let coins fall into the hopper without registering. I can manually flip the switch with the door open and get it to work but it seems sometimes it registers a coin as the switch is about half of full switch travel (which seems correct) and sometimes the switch has to travel almost full switch travel to register a coin (Seems to let the coin through before reaching the travel necessary to register a coin). Should I just replace the coin switch or am I off base with my diagnosis?
Thanks, Jim

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
Re: Coin switch
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
Without knowing what machine your working on makes it tough to point you in the right direction exactly. I usually dont see the micro switch being  problem but dont rule it out.  If your working on a 831 or 908 or most machines of the era, the switch row on the clock side of the mech has a switch that is in connection with the coin circuit. Make sure it doesnt have a  pit in the middle of the contact. Your schematics will tell you which switch by color code. I always file those switch pads until they are clean all the way across and adjust accordingly. This has caused an intermittent problem and it took me a while to find it but it fixed it for me on the 809 machine I have.
Post a pic or give us the model #  :Please_Post_Pictures_2:

Dave
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
Sorry... I can't believe I didn't say which machine it is... It's an 809.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
Thanks again, Jim

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »
Try tapping it with your screwdriver when it acts up, that may knock off impurities from the contact points.  Also make sure the whisker is adjusted so that the switch is closed well before the coin falls off of it.  Also make sure the end of the whisker is not adjusted wrongly or is held in position loosly (crimp the brass holder closed with pliers).  The end of the whisker should never touch the coin, and should be adjusted well away from it.  Hope that makes sense.

Upon rereading your post, maybe it will help to replace that switch...sorry.
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline zinda

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • zinda New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
That's exactly what mine did when the switch started to go bad. :I_agree_1:

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
It seems like the switch is the issue and it's an easy fix so I'll try that first. Thing is, I had recently replaced it. Maybe it's just a bad switch.
Thanks, Jim

Offline zinda

• Reputation Power: 3
  • zinda New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:20:40 AM »
When I replaced my switches I noticed that I had to bend the wire on one of them to keep the wire under the coin edge as it passed through, Also it's a good idea to check the coin guide that helps to keep the coin in place without letting it bounce off and move around in the pathway. Those switches are only rated at 0.1A @ 125V so if doesn't take much arcing to create the problems you are having, if those contacts inside the switch aren't closing completely making a metal on metal connection, it will be arcing and pitting or burning the contacts each time. It will still send the pulse through but after a while it will fail, so even if it's working make sure to check that your coin follows a steady path and moves the arm fully each time.
If you can't find any cheap replacements I still have 10 or more that I'm selling, they are all brand new in sealed packages, exact replacements White Dot E53 marked CHERRY UK dated 1973 to 1979.

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 04:07:02 AM »
Bally E/M use Cherry Switch E51 (which is a 5amp switch) Bally E-series use E53 switch which is .1amp.   Note also that these switches come in clockwise and counter clockwise activation -  bally slots use the CLOCKWISE activation.

Offline The Fatman

• The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
The higher amp switch E-51is better  for EMs ... the E-53 at .1 amp is for the E series because there is less voltage I think. I am getting the same problem and will tap on the switch and it lets go. Feel it is arcing and fusing itself together. I am replacing my switches with the E-51
Dave
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
Okay, Seems pretty clear that it is the switch. Guess I'll look for the E-51 switch. Thanks guys, Jim

Offline GOS

• Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
i sell them on ebay

Offline The Fatman

• NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »
How much for 5 with shipping. Needs to be clockwise e-51 00B
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline machogrande

• Reputation Power: 0
  • machogrande New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:17:31 AM »
Hi all! I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the correct position for my coin switch/whisker is. I am able to manually trigger the switch and then pull the slot handle (thus engaging the reels), but the switch does not activate when a coin is dropped in.

I read above that the whisker should never touch the coin. If it's not supposed to touch the coin, what triggers the downward force upon the whisker? I can't seem to figure out any other way for the whisker to be triggered that doesn't rely upon the weight of a falling coin. See attached for a photo.

In case it is hard to tell, the whisker is just below the coin accepter and it is bent in so that it slides along the channel that is stamped out of the metal. It is not attached to the bronze colored piece above (the one with the hole in it)

Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v0n4gqt8nl00ct/IMG_20150205_030739~2.jpg?dl=0

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:34 AM »
The coin whisker has to be hit by the passing coin
and should not touch the back of coin slide or the sides of
slot that the whisker moves in.

I try to set it about a 16th off the back of the slide.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
The coin switch wire needs to be inside the slot.. It needs to not bind on the sides of the slot.. By looking at your picture, the wire of your coin switch is way too high.. You should be able to pull down on the wire and hear the switch click just as the wire is at the bottom of the slot.. You  can bend the wire to adjust it.. As Proten stated the coin will push down on the wire as it passes thru the coin slot, then should return back to the top once the coin passes...

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline machogrande

• Reputation Power: 0
  • machogrande New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 12:24:58 AM »
Thank you both for your reply! I was able to remove the switch, un-gunk it and get it lined up properly. Accepts coins every time! Now on to the other problems I've discovered - looks like it's not paying out properly :/

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal