New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Coin Comparitor Issues  (Read 522 times)

Offline Gasman

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gasman New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Coin Comparitor Issues
« on: April 01, 2024, 12:02:34 AM »
Hi Everyone,  I was given a Red/White/Blue Slot machine by someone that had issues with the coins falling through to the tray.  Originally I found the control board battery was dead so I replaced it and reset the game.  This game is set to take nickels and they just keep falling through back to the tray again. If I push on the test credit button I can put up to 3 credits on it play them normally.  I don't know what coin comparitor model number I have so I can get out the meter and start checking voltages and troubleshooting.  The candlestick on top of the machine has a white light on top and red light on the bottom. The top light is off and the bottom one is flashing fast.  The red light on the comparitor comes on when the door is shut and locked so I know the sensor on the door are working.  I don't know a lot about slot machines and this one is getting nowhere.  I Think it's an IGT S+ system but I could be totally wrong.  BTW, yes I have a coin in the test coin spot and I have tried different nickels with no success.  I don't believe that "rake" coil is pulling in but it's difficult to check when the door has to be shut to power the coin mech.  Any help woulp wound be greatly appreciated,   THANKS!      Bob

Sorry about the sideways pic's fixed
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 07:36:44 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Coin Comparitor Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 05:00:10 AM »
You're right about the rake.
If it doesn't energize and pull in, coins get routed back into the coin tray.
If the rake pulls in, coins fall to the coin hopper, or down to the drop hole under the machine.

Turn the coin comparitor sensitivity potentiometer dial all the way counter-clockwise with a small screwdriver until it stops.
That will help you get better coin acceptance and pull the rake in to allow the coins to slip by the rake and go down into the left side of the coin-in optic boards to get registered as a credit.
If not, wiggle the small connector that has two gray wires on top of the coin comparitor....that's for the rake's coil magnet.
The pins might be oxidized....wiggling the little white connector promotes better electrical contact on the male pins inside the plug housing.

Is the slot hole on top of the button deck large enough to accept a quarter thru it?
If so, change the sample coin on the coin comparitor to a quarter and try that.

The coin guide ( IGT calls this the "coin encoder" ) sandwiched between the coin-in optic boards underneath the coin comparitor, may be too large of a gap for the smaller nickel to register a credit....could possly be just missing one of the three  infrared light beams.... because it's too wide for the width of a nickel.
Ony way to know for sure is to take apart the sandwich and see what con encoder is inside.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 06:07:00 AM »
The comparator is 24VAC. You can open the belly glass, drop the comparator out the front  and close the door if you want to see if it is powering up. As bunker mentioned, turn the sensitivity fully CCW. The cap on the camparitor board is probably bad and needs changed.

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 07:27:13 AM »
His S+ is an older model....I'm afraid to say Sunrise, it doesn't have a belly door.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Gasman

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 08:02:53 PM »
I adjusted the sensitivity pot on the coin comparitor and it started to accept nickels into the hopper but, they are not registering a credit.   The candlestick is still flashing fast on the bottom, off on top (door open/ idle).  I read this should shut off after playing the first "paid" spin.  Test credit still works, just doesn't register coins.  I took apart the small bottom boards that have the 3 opto's and cleaned with a Q-tip and alcohol.  The IR LED's are working (used my cell camera).  Not sure how to test the black receiver's. Any idea's?????   And where can I find a parts list for the opto's and receiver's.....or a new board?  I tried using quarters but, they won't fit in the coin slot on the outside of the machine. 

For some reason the pics don't want to post right!

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 07:41:31 AM by shortrackskater »

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 08:11:33 PM »
That coin encoder is not made for nickels.
It's made for larger coins....even a quarter will miss one of the optical beams.
You need an encoder that has the molded plastic guide to push the nickels to the left as they fall thru the optic beams.

Look at these photos.
Especially the last one on the bottom I've attached to this Reply.
You can learly see that even a quarter may not pass the holes but a nickel might -if you have the guide.

Click on any photo to enlarge...you maynotice that I resize the pictures on one side to be as large as 1000kb.
When you double-click on them, they get so large you can actually read the numbers molded onto the encoders...>>>

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 08:25:59 PM »
Good job cleaning....clean the holes too and put the ABC optic board back together.
You can test the coin-in optics for operation by doing the "Popsicle" input test.

You basically open the door, press the little white Test button until you see a [10-1] in the Winner Paid window on your display.
From there, you take off the coin comparitor, stick something like a popsicle stick or folded peice of paper down into the coin encoder to block the infrared light beams to change the "1" to a "0"....that would mean the top "A" optic is good.

To check the middle "B" optic, turn the Jkpt/Key once to change the [10-1] to a [11-1].
Sticking a popsicle stick down in there blocking the middle light beam and making the "1" turn to a zero means the "B" optic is good.

Now, turn the Jkpt key again once, to change the [11-1] to a [12-1].
This is for checking the bottom "C" optic.
Stickng a popsicle stick down there should change the [12-1] to a [12-0] - signifying that the "C" optic is functioning.
Good luck testing... :)

Here's a link to a short video I just made for you...>>>

https://youtu.be/sLVPuNBpIJE?si=65nIxSRbetMBnlNK

Click on the screenshot below I saved to enlarge it enough to read...>>>
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:18:38 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Gasman

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 09:13:45 PM »
That coin encoder is not made for nickels.
It's made for larger coins....even a quarter will miss one of the optical beams.
You need an encoder that has the molded plastic guide to push the nickels to the left as they fall thru the optic beams.

Look at these photos.
Especially the last one on the bottom I've attached to this Reply.
You can learly see that even a quarter may not pass the holes but a nickel might -if you have the guide.

Click on any photo to enlarge...you maynotice that I resize the pictures on one side to be as large as 1000kb.
When you double-click on them, they get so large you can actually read the numbers molded onto the encoders...>>>

Here is the guide that's in it.....

Offline Gasman

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 11:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the video!  #10 is not changing but, 11 and 12 are.  Apparently I need to find a receiver for the little board.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 07:43:55 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 01:37:02 PM »
remove the small surface mounted transistor labeled Q2, not any of the black IR devices. this should solve your issue.

Hope this helps

Jim 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Gasman

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 02:46:54 AM »
Hi Jim,
Removing Q2 took care of the problem, Thanks!!!!

The comparitor still was rejecting about half the nickels with the sensitivity pot turned counterclockwise all the way.  The comparitor is so old is just has a serial # on the label, no model # that I can find..are they available yet?  I put a wedge on the rake bar and, ofcourse,  it's takes everything now...which is fine.   Is there a brand slot machine that is better?  What would you put in your gameroom? I know that should probably be on its own thread but, you guys would know.
Thanks to everyone here that responded!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 07:11:20 AM »
Yes, they are still available, but somewhat expensive. the way you have yours set up should work fine for you, just have to be aware that no one would put pennies or nickels into the machine, it will accept those, and that's not the problem, if someone tries to cash out it will damage the coin knife.

glad you got the issue resolved.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Gasman

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 07:35:29 AM »
Hi Jim,  this machine was made for nickels.  It dispenses nickels good.  Looks like that wheel in the hopper fits them perfectly.
Thanks again,

Bob
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:31:39 PM by Gasman »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal