New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Metalist Not making all payouts  (Read 871 times)

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • ljwayne5451 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally Metalist Not making all payouts
« on: July 05, 2020, 12:15:39 PM »
Good day, I have rebuilt a Bally Metalist model 1081-6H and I am at my wits end trying to figure out why some payouts do not work at all or others as they should.
1 Cherry will not payout, 2 cherries will not payout in any of the 3 games. 3 cherries pays correctly on each game and 6 cherries pays 3x as it should if paying 3 coins. 3 Golds will pay out correctly but getting golds across the 3 games only pays as one (50 and not 150 as it should pay) So many that should pay 3x only pay for 1x.

I have gone over it and over it and have not got a clue. Has anyone with one of these or similar slot had a problem like this. Any help would be appreciated.
What should I be looking for. Of course I have no schematics for this slot.

thanks
Larry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:38:55 PM by ljwayne5451 »

Offline slcjeeper

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • slcjeeper New User barely matters.slcjeeper New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: Bally Metalist Not making all payouts
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
When you say you have rebuilt the machine, what have you done? Was it a complete tear it down? At this point it could be a number of things, but I'll start with this: Have you adjusted the reel wipers? Line up a know non-paying win (single or double cherry for instance) After the clock stops and there is no pay, lightly rotate each reel to see if anything happens. Have you verified the payout counter is adjusted properly and running smooth? Same for the step-up unit?
Bally 742A-240, 742A-107B, 785-ZP, 809-B, 831-R, 873-K, 1113, 1239-E, 1256-E, V2236-10, V2096-47, S5000+, V5000+, S5500, S6000, IGT PE, Flip-It, Jennings 400, WMS BB1 Goldfish

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 04:35:14 PM »
Hi, The reel mech was a complete tear down. All electrics were removed, mechanics disassembled. All the wipers were numbered 1-5 and parts were placed in the order removed. Cleaned and reassembled. Before putting the electrics back on, I tested the reel mech and all was working as it should. I do not know if the slot was working before I tore it down because it just would not cycle at all.
All the wipers were lined up to there proper positions as they were before the tear down. From the front of the slot on the wiper boards the wiper arms are as follows:

7 = row 3 - Bar = row 4 - Gold = row 5 - Melon = row 6 - Bell = row 7 - Plum = row 8 - Orange = row 9 - Cherry = row 10

The payoffs that  do work for a single game 1,2,3 - 2,3,4 - 3,4,5 except for single and double cherrys. The reels are locked in and lining up on the wiper contacts. Three cherries in each game pays and if you set all 5 reels to cherries it pays for a 3 games or 30 coins. The coin unit is stepping up as it should.

3 Gold on 1,2,3 - 2,3,4 - 3,4,5 pays only 50 instead of 150 but Gold works on 1,2,3 - 2,3,4 - 3,4,5 individually as they should. After additional testing the same is true on other 5 reel payouts, you only get paid as if you used only one coin. The hopper works fine and pays the correct amount on the combinations that are working as they should.

I hope this helps you understand where I am at the moment. I have gone through the wiring and plugs several times and cannot find any problems

Offline slcjeeper

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • slcjeeper New User barely matters.slcjeeper New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »
Bear with me if you have already done so but I always start with the basics. Have you cleaned both ends of the Beau plugs really well and insured that all the pins stay in place and that there are no broken or cold solder joints? It's common to find a crack under the insulating tube at the pin solder joint. To clean the inside of the female side of the Beau plug, i run a diamond file  through once or twice on both the top and bottom edge of each slot. For the male pins I go over them with a stainless steel Dremel wire brush wheel until the tarnish is gone. If you set up a non paying win and wiggle the reel or hopper unit and it wants to pay, then I would look closer at the Beau plugs. Have you verified all wires soldered to the bottom row of the payout unit? Also insure the wiper fingers are pressing evenly. Do the lights reflect the additional played coins? Here's a link to a terminal file I use only on the Beau plugs. Never on any other contacts in the machine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062Y599K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bally 742A-240, 742A-107B, 785-ZP, 809-B, 831-R, 873-K, 1113, 1239-E, 1256-E, V2236-10, V2096-47, S5000+, V5000+, S5500, S6000, IGT PE, Flip-It, Jennings 400, WMS BB1 Goldfish

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 05:07:15 AM »
Good morning, I have cleaned the pins but have not run anything through the female plugs. I ordered the one you suggested to clean them, the cabinet had quite a bit of corrosion inside and maybe the plugs are not getting cleaned enough with the contact cleaner I used. I do have one questionable connection on the female plug on the right side (Reel Mech handle side) top pin 4 from the right. It goes to the coin unit but I jumpered it to be sure I had a connection with no change in results. Not all connections have the insulating tubes but i did not pull them up to check so I will do so. All wires on the payout board look good. By the way I have another coin hopper that I have not worked on and it also will not payout on the same combinations. The coin unit is stepping correctly and all wires and wipers are working and the lights reflect 3 coins played. Let me go through the process of cleaning the plugs as you suggested hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for your help. I will get back to you after I have followed through with your instructions.

Larry

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:43:51 AM »
I have traced the wires from the payout wheel to a diode board on the reel mech. They come in the bottom plug of the larger diode board. I have tested all the diodes on both boards and they all test good using a diode tester. Can anyone tell me the function of these boards and how they are powered? I am still waiting for the cleaning tool to clean the beau plugs. Attached are photos of the diode boards. The marking on the larger board are just from a pencil I used to show the traces on the other side for those diodes.

Offline mark the spark

• Reputation Power: 9
  • mark the spark New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:32:41 AM »
i think the diodes are used for payouts
i think but not certain they use negative part of the cycle for some pays
will look for the info i read that on

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 05:15:30 AM »
hi, any help with this will be greatly appreciated. This has been a tough one. It sure would be nice if I could find more information on the 1081-6H Mentalist. thank you

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 08:39:55 PM »
Check the wiper board circuit for continuity on the payouts in question.
Payouts / wiper boards must have continuity before the machine will start the payout cycle.
If everything checks out okay, then tracing from the wiper board through the plugs to the step up unit
maybe necessary.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »
1081-6H - bally "fruit with tower".

uses the same reel tapes, slotted index discs, reel wipers/contact plates, schematic, payout counter as the 1081-1H.

you can find all that documentation on http://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/1081-1

the diodes are used to reduce the wiring needed to make a circuit thru the reel contact plates.  Because of the diodes, you can't use continuity or measure ohms thru the entire circuit.  It's easier to use the schematic and reel wiper diagrams to verify sections of the circuit on either sides of the diodes, and check the diodes like you did. 

you can probably put the meter probes far away in the circuit on both sides of a diode and use the diode test mode like continuity, but I'd verify your meter is ok with the extra effective wire length and small contact resistances you'd be adding in.

for a maybe not helpful explanation, see the bally writeup for the more complex 929 machine that had dual wipers on each reel:

http://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/929/bally_929_tech_info.pdf

if the docs don't help ya, yell and can try and be more specific for any particular payout scenario you'd like to debug.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:34:30 PM by wolftalk »

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 08:55:47 AM »
Good morning, Wolftalk, I appreciate the information you sent. I set the slot aside while I worked on a Bally 809. Now that it is finished I am setting the 1081-6H Bally back on the table to continue to work on.

I really did not think about the diodes getting in the way of continuity testing so I am happy you mentioned that. You are right it would not work. I will try to test the circuits as you suggested first and try to see if I can use the diode testing like continuity as well. Some diodes are reversed from others on the boards so, I will need to take that into account. I am using a Fluke model 117 for my testing. I have downloaded the specs from the link you sent.

Thanks for the help!!! I will update as I get back into it.

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 07:46:22 AM »
Well, after downloading the schematic I found a couple wires that had been damaged and repaired the connections. I went through all the coils a couple weeks ago and I did find a bad coil as well. Since I did not know where else I could go for a coil, I bought one off Ebay. After fixing the bad connections and replacing the coil it is finally up and running. One Thing I would like to ask about, the low and high payout relays in the top of the game had 10uf 200v caps across the coils but both were disconnected on one side. Not sure if they were cut loose or just broke off. I do not see these in the drawings. Game is working without them connected right now. What do you think??

Thank you very much for your help.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
those coils are running on DC, so the caps will act like little batteries and voltage spike absorbers.

the circuit has payout counter step-up arm switches in the high/low relay circuits that will keep those relays powered while the payout counter is stepping.  I assume it has something to do with the trace pattern on the payout counter disc since the circuit thru those and the reel wipers is what powered the high/low relays to begin with.

if the payout counter step-up arm switch wasn't working right for some reason, I guess the caps would help the high/low payout relays stay powered if there's brief interruptions due to the wipers/traces.

in addition, if the step-up arm switches were no good, the voltage spike that happens when the magnetic field in the relay coil collapses could cause some arcing/burning/pitting of the end of the copper trace on the payout counter disc.  The cap would absorb that voltage spike.  The path thru the step-up arm switch when working would take care of that problem, so the cap shouldn't be necessary.

got any burning on the traces?

I'd remove the caps.

Offline ljwayne5451

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »
No burns...everything looks good. I have a brand new payout board if I ever need one.  Right now everything seems to be working. Just a few tweaks to finish up

I did not put the new caps on.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal