New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Powering up a Bally S5500 that’s been in storage  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Stangman

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Stangman New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Powering up a Bally S5500 that’s been in storage
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:09:58 AM »
I Got a Bally S5500 that has been in storage. Powered it up and got the low battery error code 81. Replaced battery and now get a safe ram error code 83F. Tried clearing the sram using the j10 jumper and holding the buttons on the mpu board but got no other messages on the display other then the 83f code. Took a look at the chip set series and they are the 95000 series that I believe need the clear set chips to clear the sram. I found a set of leave in clear chips on EBay and am waiting on them to arrive. I am new to this and have a couple of questions.
After I install the clear chips, what level of clear should I try first?
Do I have to setup the machine in anyway after the reset?
It is a California Dreaming themed machine, does it retain the correct game settings after a reset?
Thanks for the help in advance.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:54:28 AM by Stangman »

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
Re: Powering up a Bally S5500 that’s been in storage
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
Leave in clears only work with the S6000, newer (4X) supervisory chips would work U3, U4, etc.
BUT try removing the RAM chips and swapping them top to bottom, bottom to top and try clearing with the jumper again.
See attached.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Thanks, the chip I have coming are U-3, U-4, U-12, U-15 leave in chips. I am hoping they will work. Here is a picture of the cpu board that I have. I believe that the machine is a S5500 ProSlot. The Model number says s63m3ct-10. I have read that the jumper j10 does not work with the se95000 chip set? Could you please be more specific on what chips to move around and swap? U3 with U4 and U12 with U15...
[/size]Thanks
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:59:29 AM by Stangman »

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:29:39 AM »
Another picture of the cpu board I have. What chips are the ram chips?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »
The RAM's are U67 and U68.

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
Thanks, I did not swap the ram chips, but did re- seat the ram chips in the sockets. Still have the 83f error and not able to do a safe ram clear. Will wait on the clear chips and give that a try.

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • DirtinLa New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
Greetings,

First things first. The 83F code is a dead battery code. I am attaching a pic of the battery location. Its a simple fix. Hope you have an amazon or eBay account LOL

Replace Battery on board with a battery holder. Very simple solder in place holder:

Amazon [size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Plastic-Button-Battery-Sockets/dp/B00TX2Y3J0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=3.6V+Battery+Holder&qid=1571752466&s=electronics&sr=1-3[/size]

or eBay [size=78%]https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2AA-14250-Battery-Storage-Clip-Box-Case-Holder-3-6V-With-PCB-Pin-Solder-L6Z2/223478028877?hash=item3408541a4d:g:biQAAOSwwb1brqD~[/size]

Get the battery at the same time

https://www.amazon.com/SAFT-LS-14250-Lithium-Battery-ORIGINAL/dp/B01N5ORNBS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=3.6V+Battery+14250&qid=1571754488&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-8

3.6V 14250 Lithium Battery

You can also accomplish this with standard AA or AAA but they do not last

Once battery is replaced you need to do a reset/clear . Your 95000 chips do NOT require additional reset/clear chips.

Turn off the machine. Pull the main board. See the attached pic of Jumper

simply move the jumper onto both pins put the board back in and be certain it seats all the way.

Hold the test and pseudo coin buttons in while you turn on the machine.

In the pay window you will see a Ch C followed by a CL C turn off the machine

Pull the board and put the jumper back on one pin

Fire the machine up and you should be good to go!

Good luck and let everyone know if you are up and running please.

-=Fred=-

MY PET PEEVE: Those who ask for and receive help on the forums and then never bother to post the ultimate outcome/fix

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 08:58:15 AM »
Thanks Fred, but if you read my post, I have already replaced the dead battery and tried the MPU board jumper and full clear. I am never seeing anything but the 83f error code even when trying the safe ram reset holding the buttons in during power up. I have read in multiple thread that the 95000 series will require the clear chip reset to clear the dead battery error. I have these on order and will try it out and let you know if it resolves the issue.
Thanks again,
Mark

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
Ok, I just did my 95000 chips without a chip change... once again the 83f = 83F = SafeRAMâ„¢ Format Error SafeRAMâ„¢ formatting has been lost due to bad RAM IC, a dead battery, or if ROM has changed. (A complete SafeRAMâ„¢ Clear is required.)

#1 did you check the battery voltage once installed?

#2 is the battery installed in the correct direction + -
#3 what is the payout reading once you hold the reset pseudo coin in ....  those buttons aren't used very often, press hard OR ohm them to make cerain they're working

These  are just suggestions
MY PET PEEVE: Those who ask for and receive help on the forums and then never bother to post the ultimate outcome/fix

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »
Hey Fred, so I do have the battery in the right polarity. I was a electronics technician in the Navy doing circuit board repairs so I do have a bit of knowledge base. It did read 3.58 volts. I had another battery I had also bought and it was reading 3.62 volts so I installed it. I had not tested the continuity of the test and pseudo buttons so I used my ohm meter and they both tested fine. I have never gotten anything other than the 83f in the message field other that the 81 low battery error which disappeared after the battery replacement. I never see a CH C displayed while holding down the buttons during power up. If the clear chips won’t work I may have to get the board sent out for repair.
Thanks again,
Mark

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »
Awesome, sounds like you did and are doing everything correctly.

Please be kind and post your final outcome and what it took to fix it.

Have you checked your power supply voltages...  a whole lot cheaper than a new board?

Those power supplies can disable any number of things.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=25856.0

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=14397.0

BTW I apprreciate your service and not just spewing words as me and my family have all served too

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
Thanks again for the additional information. I am going to order the $15 power supply off Amazon - Mean Well part number is PT-65B. I will probably need it at some point. I am getting power to the MPU board because it responds to pressing the reset button. Turns on the red led momentarily and hear a change in the speaker hum. What does the reset suppose to do anyways? I also found a tag inside that says “Warning sector lock chip installed. Notify TSM upon all repairs. Do not remove chip”. Any ideas on what this may mean. Thanks again. BTW: It was a pleasure and honor to serve in the the US Military, some of the best people in the world. Thanks for your family’s service also.
Mark

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
Air Force here, did you check to make sure the battery voltage is reaching both RAM chips?
Lower left of chip is (-), upper right is (+) of your DC meter.
Is JW12 jumper in place?

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
Removed the power supply and it appears that it had been replaced sometime after 2003 as it has a date code on it. What is the best way to test the supply out for proper voltages? I get the new one tomorrow, I may just swap it out anyways.
Mark
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:47:48 PM by Stangman »

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Ram chips U67 and U68 both have 3.44 volts on the pins mentioned and jumper was in place. Worked with a lot of Air Force guys during my 30 years with a defense company. Dedicated bunch of people.
Mark

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
Sorry, I was not logged in so did not see the power supply testing procedures bad baud had provided. Will check voltages soon.
Mark

Offline DirtinLa

• My Pet Peeve
  • NLG

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »
On the PS, I highly recommend installing the new unit.  You will most likely find the 5 volts needs bumped up on the new unit.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
Bally recommends 5.16V

Offline Stangman

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 04:44:17 AM »
Any ideas on what this tag means?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal