New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Alpha 2 Pro V22/22 Boot Problem  (Read 1691 times)

Offline dailey

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Alpha 2 Pro V22/22 Boot Problem
« on: March 06, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »
My machine has always been temperamental in booting up. I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences with their Alpha 2 that can shed some light on this.

Whenever I turn my machine on and it completes boot up, about 50% of the time the cabinet and topper lights are all blue (should be red) and are not under software control. It's as if the Light Control Board (LCU) is not working. The LED on the LCU indicates it's communicating with the MPU and there are no errors. If I reboot it usually clears up. Sometimes I have to reboot 2 or 3 times. Whatever is happening is not just confined to the lights though. Occasionally the machine completes boot up then has no sound. Today I turned it on and got blue lights. After reboot I got a printer communication error. Rebooted again and everything is fine.

Rebooting always clears up the problem, though I may have to reboot multiple times. Once the machine is up and running correctly there are never any problems. There are never any glitches or errors while playing or for as long as the machine is on. It runs perfectly until the next time I boot up.

I might add that I turn the machine on/off from a surge protected power strip. This problem is really an annoyance but so far not too serious as it can be cleared up with a reboot, but I'm hoping the problem doesn't grow worse. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:53:33 PM by dailey »

Offline Harvs

• Think!, While it's still legal...
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Alpha 2 Pro V22/22 Boot Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 04:30:02 PM »
Odd question but what does the Ideck do when you boot after the machine has been off for a while? Does it flash red, green, blue etc? - I have had A2's that needed to be rebooted a few times due to the Ideck simply needing new caps. The caps on those decks take sh!ts..

Not saying that is the issue but it came to mind.  :Scratch-Head:

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 04:35:31 PM »
Never had those lcu problems but every once in a while I get no sound at boot up.  A reboot does fix it every time.

Offline dailey

• dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 05:21:35 PM »
When I boot the machine the iDeck is black and says "No Signal". It doesn't flash any colors. At some point when it is installing the operating system I believe, the "B" logo appears on the topper and the red "iDeck" logo appears on the ideck.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 06:06:29 PM »
Anytime I get funky things like that and they get solved by rebooting, I try changing the power supply first.  Maybe you have caps that are borderline and not providing enough current to the mpu, thus creating the issues you are having.  On A2's there are 2 power supplies, one on the MPU and the cabinet power supply.  I would try replacing one at a time to see if it solves your issues.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »
Thanks Rick. Changing the power supply makes sense.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 03:53:05 PM »
I believe I have solved the mystery of my boot up problem. Thanks Rickhunter for the power supply tip.

The problem has been that upon completion of boot up the lights are often the wrong color (not under software control), machine has no sound or no communication with the printer. Any one of these malfunctions or a combination of them happen on a cold boot.. The condition always clears up with one or two reboots.

I swapped the power supply and the problem seems to be gone. I bench tested the suspect power supply and found that there was only 1 volt at the 5 vdc output for the first minute following power up. After it warms up for a minute or so the voltage comes up to 5 vdc and remains stable.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »
Awesome, you can probably fix the bad power supply and have as a spare.  Look for bulging caps and replace them.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal