New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Fruit Bonus 96 - Screen Timeout Issue  (Read 1863 times)

Offline ocsnetworks

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • ocsnetworks New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Fruit Bonus 96 - Screen Timeout Issue
« on: September 26, 2023, 07:29:37 PM »
Checking to see if anyone has had this issue......

I have acquired a fruit bonus 96 arcade game. Everything works fine using the default dip switches where the game is set to accept 1 coin for 1 point or 1 coin for 5 points.
However when I set the dip switches #3, #4 and #5 to on the machine eventually will black out/time out.
When this happens the game is actually still playing. I can hear it and the buttons are still lit.

Being technical myself, I purchased a new pcb with the same game to rule out the possible motherboard.
I keep seeing in the manual to do a reset? The only reset that I know of it powering it off and back on or clearing the points with the button on the back of the machine.

Monitor has a VGA end which is connected to an adapter, which I also replaced the adapter.
Tested the monitor on a laptop with VGA output and never flakes out once.
I also replaced the power unit with another......

It's got to be something in those dip switches.
Or that dollar bill acceptor is not using the correct connector.

I have also tried to unplug the dollar bill acceptor to see if it's a power issue.
The monitor is a VGA type replacement, I figure.
The guy I purchased this from rebuilds these units, and is also stumped.

If anyone can assist, I will greatly appreciate it....
I will try anything, as I have two boards Fruit bonus and 1 Cherry Bonus.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Fruit Bonus 96 - Screen Timeout Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 08:04:01 PM »
You see that red toggle switch in the photo below?
I circled it in yellow.
That's the reset button.
All it does is turn the power off that runs between a battery, and a memory chip that has all your settings.
I doubt that will solve the black out/ Time out issue.
All you'd be doing is erasing your basic settings and you'd have to set them up again.

The black out issue could be caused by a few things...insufficient power from the power supply or a bad monitor.
Physically, it could be bad pin connections in the power harness.
Clean the gold contacts on the pcb board with a white eraser.
How long did you try the monitor hooked up to the laptop with the VGA connector?
Leave it on ovenight and see if it blacks out...if so, then it's a monitor problem.

There are video drivers on the pcb boards....it's located near the VGA header that connects to the harness that runs to the monitor.
I doubt that you can repair it...you'd have to send the pcb board out to have it repaired.
Try another pcb board....to see if it makes the monitor black out.

However, my money is on that video adapter you have.
It's not needed when connecting the monitor to a laptop right?
Why are you using an adapter?
Can you show us a picture of it?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline ocsnetworks

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 09:32:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.

I have tried another pcb board.
Yes, I did change the VGA to RGB adapter.
It is a VGA Converter if I am correct.

I left the laptop on it for several hours with no issues.
No, I do not need the adapter to connect the monitor.

The video issue occurs when the game is on after 1 hour, then will blank every 45 secs for 3 seconds.

I am also attaching pictures of the other components as well.

Thanks for the assistance.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 06:58:27 AM »
okay...your adapter might be okay...I've seen and used those before the pcb boards became more and more VGA-based.
The newest games run only with DVI & HDMI connections now.
The older VGA adapters normally worked well without any issues back then, but clearly the older pcbs were never originally intended to be used with VGA monitors...only the older tube monitors.
I checked the wires on your photo and they look to be in the correct order...>>>
(Red, Green, Blue, Black in the 1st four pins on the 6-pin plug, then the white wire in the 3rd pin jumped back to the pin next to it on the smaller connector.)

What is strange is that the monitor works well when hooked up to a laptop, but craps out in 45 minutes - when hooked up to the pcb board.
Makes one suspect a problem with the pcb board right?

Some video driver component on the pcb board goes out of whack after 45 minutes when heated up.
It's not the monitor, because you ran it for hours on the laptop.
I would be closely inspecting chips and circuit traces with a magnifying glass around the area where the video harness plugs into the pcb board.
It's possible that when the video components heat up, something fails on the pcb board.

I would be asking your seller if he has another pcb board to try.
Tell him the monitor works well when connected to a laptop, but flakes out in 45 minutes, when hooked up to a possible faulty pcb board.
Hopefully they'll understand the pcb is suspect.

Finally, on the yellow Suzo-Happs power supply, mke sure that small knob adjustable dial under the main harness for the 5 volts is kind of set to the middle.
I've experimented with that and have noticed that if it's set for too low (clockwise), the monitor blacks out....set too high (counter-clockwise), the monitor still blacks out.
I stick the probes of my multi-meter into a red pin and a black pin and try to adjust the dial to get the power supply to output around 5 volts DC.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 07:29:29 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline ocsnetworks

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 07:16:23 AM »
I have replace the pcb, which also did the same thing.
I am also going to try the Cherry Bonus 96 board that I purchased to see if that makes any difference.

What puzzles me is that having it set to switch SW 2 - #3, #4 and #5 off works just fine on both pcb boards. (Then I would need to put in $8 just to play... LOL
My goal was a penny machine, 100 credits for $1.00 but that blinker just kills me....
This is for my home entertainment, non-business, hence why I am willing to try anything.

I am going to rundown the wire harness and double check all the connections to make sure they are properly secured.
Seems the wiring was put together with scotch locks so I am thinking it may be somewhere in there.

I am waiting on the wife to play it for a while today to see if the reset function worked, since the manual stated on certain switches you must reset.
Last night it played for almost an hour with no issues after resetting. It was late....

Thanks for the help.

Offline ocsnetworks

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 06:31:13 PM »
**** UPDATE ****

So I believe the issue is resolved.... as I speak this very softly so the game does not hear..... :applause:

Somewhere in playing with all those dip switches must have upset the board thinking it was being cheated or something.
By doing the "reset" that **Stayouttadabunker** kindly pointed out where it was  :thank_you: resolved the issue with the screen blinking.

I am going to re-install the original pcb that came with the machine to also perform the reset.
I had a feeling it was a dip switch that was changed and needed that reset.
Probably one that dealt with printing tickets that I don't use or have.

I will report back with my additional findings....
Hopefully this post may help someone in the future with the same issue.

:thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal