New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 220V - 110V STEP UP - WATTAGE?  (Read 10144 times)

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
220V - 110V STEP UP - WATTAGE?
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
I have had no luck finding 110 transformers for my V5500 pokers that are wired 220v.  My work around at this point is adding a 110v stepup to 220v and have found reasonably priced and physical size that would work IF - the wattage is correct.  Will 100 watt stepup be enough to power the poker?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:51:10 AM by GOS »

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
Re: 220V - 110V STEP UP - WATTAGE?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »
Amps=Watts÷(Volts×Power Factor)
X=100÷(110×1)
.9Amps
I think this is right, unless I got the power factor wrong...

Offline GOS

• GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:35:27 AM »
nice calculation - I have no idea what that all means.  Will a 100watt transformer work?

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 03:38:44 AM »
Sorry, if it's right, then no. One amp won't be enough

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:57 AM »
thank you for the clarification.  What wattage would I need? 

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:13 AM »
What is the part number of your Bally transformer that is 220 volt ?

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 04:30:46 AM »
E122-226 is the label (paper label) covering E122-224.

the manual has the following specs:
current draw at rest 1.1amp
current draw during game play 1.2amp
current draw during payout 1.7amp
maximum theoretical draw 2.35amps
                     BASED ON 110V INPUT VOLTAGE.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:46:06 AM by GOS »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 05:35:17 AM »
E122-226 is the label (paper label) covering E122-224.

the manual has the following specs:
current draw at rest 1.1amp
current draw during game play 1.2amp
current draw during payout 1.7amp
maximum theoretical draw 2.35amps
                     BASED ON 110V INPUT VOLTAGE.

That spec of a maximum 2.35 amps rating at 110 volts would result in 258.5 watts of power needed at max power usage (probably when hopper motor was running along with everything else or maybe initial power surge when machine is first turned on). So you'd need a stepup transformer rated at 258.5 watts (or higher). I'd round it up to 300 watts to be sure, you couldn't find one with an oddball rating of 258.5 watts anyway. Plus transformers are never 100% efficient, always good to add 5% to account for that.

I don't think that 100 watt transformer you found would work, the 220v output would only provide about 1/2 amp (.5 amp) output since 220 volts x .5 amp = 110 watts and you need more watts than that. On a 100 watt 110v to 220v stepup transformer the input winding connected to 110v would draw about 1 amp, but the output winding would only allow about .5 amp at 220 volts.   AMPS x VOLTS = WATTS

Check out these voltage converters in the link below. It probably isn't the way you want to operate the slot machines but it does give you a method. The voltage converter is basically a stepup transformer that changes 110v to 220v. (it can also do other voltages). So for $25 you can get a 300 watt, 220 volt power supply that plugs into your 110 volt wall outlet. It could be placed inside the machine if there was room, maybe in the top area behind glass, or could sit nearby. It measures about 4 x 5 x 6 inches and weighs about 7 pounds.

You wouldn't have to change the wiring on the slot machine, just plug the machine's power cord in to this voltage converter for the 220 volts it needs. This voltage converter accepts the european 220v plug on the end of the machine's power cord so you wouldn't have to replace it. If you order 4 or more they give free shipping since the order would be $100.

http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltage_converters.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:56:52 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »
Can you post a picture of the 220 volt transformer? Need to see the wires on the primary and secondary side.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
Here is something to try with the 220 volt transformer you have removed. Doing a bench test with just the transformer by itself , to be sure the output is correct after swapping a wire. Disconnect/cut the Black with Red stripe from the winding on the transformer  and connect it to the Black with the White stripe on the transformer while leaving  this Blk w/White stripe wire connected to the transformer winding. Connect 120 volts from your shop , black wire to the transformers Black with Red stripe and connect your Neutral shop White wire to the transformers Black wire. Turn on your 120 volts from your shop. Check the secondary output low voltage across the red  & red  wires for 21 volts and then check the voltage across the white & white wires for 7.5 volts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:21:32 PM by Sunrise Side »

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
here is the trans PIC

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
Here is something to try with the 220 volt transformer you have removed. Doing a bench test with just the transformer by itself , to be sure the output is correct after swapping a wire. Disconnect the Black with Red stripe from the winding on the transformer  and connect it to the Black with the White stripe on the transformer while leaving  this Blk w/red stripe wire connected to the transformer winding. Connect 120 volts from your shop , black wire to the transformers Black with Red stripe and connect your Neutral shop White wire to the transformers Black wire. Turn on your 120 volts from your shop. Check the secondary output low voltage across the red  & red  wires for 21 volts and then check the voltage across the white & white wires for 7.5 volts.
I am confused as what to do with the black/red wire??? 

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
I made a mistake. Try this.      >>>>Here is something to try with the 220 volt transformer you have removed. Doing a bench test with just the transformer by itself , to be sure the output is correct after swapping a wire. Disconnect/cut the Black with Red stripe from the winding on the transformer  and splice/connect into the Black with the White stripe on the transformer while leaving  this Blk w/White stripe wire connected to the transformer winding. Connect 120 volts from your shop , black wire to the transformers Black with Red stripe and connect your Neutral shop White wire to the transformers Black wire. Turn on your 120 volts from your shop. Check the secondary output low voltage across the red  & red  wires for 21 volts and then check the voltage across the white & white wires for 7.5 volts.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
based on all of the input a 300 w looks to be  the answer and I think I found the perfect fit
http://www.220-electronics.com/300-watt-voltage-converter-step-up-and-down-modular.html
it would fit into the cabinet beside the 220v trans - the 110v power cord would be input and the 220v would be fed into the power supply using the power cord with european plug. I think it is worth a try.  So I am going to mark this as SOLVED - thank you all.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
if i understand you correctly - you are making the 220v into a 110v??   I will give that a try - if that works - then I won't have to replace anything - will post result tomorrow.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »
The diagram shows that the transformer has dual voltage. You will be  moving the Black with Red stripe to the 120 tap and it should work.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:16:35 PM by Sunrise Side »

Offline proverbs

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • proverbs New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »
nices work :applause: :applause:

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
I performed the test as described and got 5.0v vs 7.5 accross the white wires and 17.8 vs 21 accross the red wires.
I cut the black/red at the transformer and joined the other end to the white/black wire. 
added 120v  white wire to the black neutral pin 3 molex to transformer post 3
          120v  black wire to black/red with white/black pin 1 and pin 4 to transformer post 4 *(post 1 cut)
picture shows the wiring on the transformer - I found 1 discrepency with schematic for the 115-224 transformer - maybe this is the reason the trans is tagged 115-226?- the MOLEX that attaches to the power supply pin 1 is Orange and pin 2 is black red
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:09:13 AM by GOS »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »
On the #122-217  220/240 volt Transformer-  Black/red wire is used for 220 volts input and the Orange wire is used for 240 volts input. The Molex has a Hi & Lo tap for the 220 & 240 selection between the wires. If the incoming power is 220 volts you would connect  the tap to Black/Red. If the power was 240 volt you would use the Orange wire. Shows a tap at the Molex in the cabinet

Now  the  #122- 218   120/110 volt transformer is similar. Black/Red is tap is used for 120 volts and the Orange wire tap is used for the 110 volts.

Do you have a drawing from a schematic for these # 115-224 220volt Euro transformer? Does it show 115 volts  isolation output on the secondary for the monitor coming from the transformer? What is the voltage at pin outs #10 & #12 at the Molex ?

Can you post a pic a pic of the molex on the transformer?

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
thank you again for helping - attached is a schematic for the V5500 - showing the 224 transformer that is supposed to be use for 220/240 - My machines have a modified transformer E-122-226.  I can load a picture of the molex connector but it is just as easy to state that pin 1 and pin 2 are REVERSED on my transformer vs the 224 in the schematic - that is the black/red is in position 2 and the orange in position.   So the way I read it the ORANGE in my machine receives the 120v not the black/red 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal