New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Dreaded Red LED on 1270 MPU with cycling of VFD Netplex Error.  (Read 688 times)

Offline Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Dreaded Red LED on 1270 MPU with cycling of VFD Netplex Error.
« on: November 08, 2023, 02:07:32 PM »
NLG really needs a WTF Button in the Message Icon. Lol.

Pulled a non working S2000 out of storage to build. It's parts complete but can't get past this non-boot issue I'm having.

Original 1270 MPU (Varta and U16 removed) and Daughter Card with OEM Software, 6-6-3 Display, Touchpad, Printer, WBA and Backlit Reels. Pretty standard stuff.

Power up the machine and I get all MPU LEDs illuminated with blinking Red in 1 second intervals. The VFD will display the Netplex Link Down Error as the Red LED blinks. It's almost like a power problem the way it flashes, goes blank, flashes, etc.

So, troubleshooting wise, I grab a few spare 1270 Boards and swap over the Daughter Card. No change. Try a different Daughter Card with same Software, no change. Tried different OEM Software, still no change.

Tried different Main Power Supply, no change. Started disconnecting all of the Netplex Devices one by one until I had nothing left connected. Even a few SENET Devices

It did boot once after hooking everything back up, but did It's blink thing 4 times before finally coming online. It booted to the point of giving me Machine Type Mismatch, so I shut it down. Now it's back to the non-booting stage with the Cycling Power/Red LED.

Original Game Chips were 363's, so I pulled them and put in 598's. No difference.
Installed the 224 Clear Chip for grits and shins, have 2 solid green LEDs (top 2) and a blinking amber (3rd) LED. nothing more.

Haven't replaced the Backplane yet, for obvious reasons.  But I guess that's which direction I'll head in next, unless someone has something else to try.

Thanks,

Curtis ash100
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Dreaded Red LED on 1270 MPU with cycling of VFD Netplex Error.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »
wow...you've done a lot so far.
okay...even swapping MPU's didn't work in this "non-working S2k".
My guess it's either a loose, or dying power supply, a loose or broken PDU ribbon cable, or that little backplane 8-pin chip corrupted?
Pull out that lil' chip, thow in a good one, re-install MPU, and see what happens?
I'm guessing you've also tried a known working MPU with known working chips from another known working cabinet?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Ash100

• Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 02:09:43 PM »
Update,

Partially figured out....

Swapped the Backplane, tested solder joints on old one once removed, to include the 2 fuse holders, power in and other connections. All look good. Even swapped EEPROM as Mark suggested prior to pulling Backplane.

Backplane didn't fix it. Went back to MPUs, tested 3 known working ones, still no go. Finally the 4th MPU allowed the game to boot.

Installed the previous 3 MPUs, same problem. Installed all 3 into a working machine, no issues at all. Very strange.

Something in that machine must be out of limits just enough to pull down a weak MPU?

I'll keep troubleshooting and maybe I can locate a questionable component causing the original failures. But at this point, I'm where I can Clear and Key the machine.

Thanks for the inputs.

Curtis ash100

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 05:12:58 PM »
Latest update....

I was able to get the machine set up and programmed. Everything seems fine as far as actual game play goes. No issues with the Touchpad or Displays, Buttons all work etc.

Sometimes though, upon power up, I'll get all of the MPU LEDs illuminated to include the red one, and nothing more. It just freezes like that. I can cycle power and it boots normally afterwards.

At the suggestion of Lookes, I re-tried  all of the previous MPUs with the Bill Validator removed and Harness disconnected. Unfortunately, those 3 are still doing the same thing. 4th LED (amber) and Red LED both blink in 1 second intervals with the VFD flashing Netplex Link Down with each cycle.

The machine had a dead WBA in it to begin with, but I doubt that was the issue. I was able to put together a good WBA Transport and Sensor Head that works in that machine, and tested a few others I had on hand.

So, I suppose that I'll call this one Topic Solved, although I really don't have a solid fix other than 1 working MPU out of 4 spares. I would like to have the other 3 checked out though, maybe there's really something wrong with them. Although they were tested last year and labeled as Good.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Curtis ash100

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »
I marked this Topic as "Solved" for you Curtis although it bothers me that the 3 MPU's work in a known good cabinet,  but not with this one...that's what made me suspect the backplane EEPROM chip.
I must totally agree with you that something in this cabinet makes those other MPU's seem bad.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 06:12:43 PM »
Thanks Mark.

I'll keep looking at things, but I'm really just about out of ideas.

Curtis ash100

Offline dailey

• Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 08:05:02 PM »
Ash100,

I hope your problem is solved, but I wanted to throw a couple more ideas your way in case it acts up again. If you have a Spectrum progressive display, keep in mind it's a netplex device and you should try unplugging it. Also, if you have a Sentry bill validator bezel, it is in the netplex circuit. You can try disconnecting and isolating it. The wiring to the sentry can also be pinched by closing of the door if the wires aren't tucked out of the way.

Besides isolating the netplex devices as you have already done, there is also the harnesses to be concerned about. You can isolate these one by one by disconnecting them at the backplane Netplex connectors (4).

One thing I have read about the 1270 board, though I doubt it is the issue here, is that the 22uf capacitor can go bad and cause a netplex down error.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal