New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS BB2 printer comm error  (Read 646 times)

Offline idhgamer

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • idhgamer New User has no influence.
  • NLG
WMS BB2 printer comm error
« on: October 22, 2023, 10:56:34 AM »
It sounds like a possible bad solder joint, flaky interface board or loose ground pin connection.

To begin with, I would be unplugging and thoroughly checking that printer harness from one end to the other end.
I'd clean every pin with deoxidizing agent.
Then I would place the printer interface board under a magnifying lamp and checking out each and every board IC component.
The printer itself, I'd be totally dismantling it and checking that printer head as well.
After that, I'd be running test after tests to make sure it powers up and prints correctly until I am certain that everything works perfectly....but that's just me.... :rotfl:

Greetings from Canada!

I know this is old but it seemed reasonable to keep Printer Com issues in the same spot. 
Topic split by moderator - better to start a new one.

I have two BB 2 machines. I'll call them husband and wife.  Wife was powering off/resetting and it was recommended I replace the power supply. Once replaced, I encountered a Printer Com error similar to original poster. The harness from the gen2 printer to the molex was super ratty, so I started with replacing that.  Error persisted so I traded printers in the machines. Error persists, and Husband BB 2 now has Wife printer and it works fine. I feel if ticked a few of the above recommendations.  Deoxidizing agent ordered. Im wondering if something isn't fully tight after power supply replacement... but it seems solid. How best to investigate that, and how to identify printer interface board if needed?

Appreciate your time
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 09:02:04 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: WMS BB2 printer comm error
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
Your problem may not be the printer rather, but instead the power supply.
Since it was previously working and you haven't changed any printer settings, (It should still be set for Netplex printer), I will harbor a guess that the "Printer COMM error" message is the result of a failing power supply box....I've had it happen to me once.

It sounds to me like you've lost the voltage on that single orange wire that connects from the printer harness, to the power supply box.
Swap power supply box, but use the same printer...to see if that narrows down the problem to the single, orange un-powered wire from the power supply.
You can see check for voltage on that pin straight out of the power supply with your multimeter, if you own one.
Offhand & here at home, I can only guess that the voltage going thru that orange wire should be 5 volts DC?
Again, I'm unsure of the volatge on that paticular pin out of the power supply box.

Finally, check that orange wire for continuity....if it's broken somewhere under the wire covering that you cannot physically see, and doesn't supply voltage thru it, you will get that printer COMM error message.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 04:29:54 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline idhgamer

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 03:18:06 PM »
Thank you for the reply Stay.  :cool_thumb_up:

That would be a bummer if the 'new' power supply was a lemon.   

I'm going to start with your continuity suggestion first; perhaps something happened to it when I swapped in the power supply. Maybe try the classic unplug replug first.

:CaptainHappy_worried:

*EDIT*  8.87V to the printer harness connection.   Too high?     

FWITW  - Husband Machine (planet Moolah) would play but not print a ticket with Wife (Dukes of Hazard Spinning streak) printer - A RS232 Gen2.   So I traded them back and Moolah is fine now.     Its using an epic 950L from Ithaca.

The RS232 is making quite a grinding noise trying to feed. Will the mechanical issue throw up the error?   Trying to do more testing but cant get 'call attendant' off the screen.  Key has no spring in it. Making a grocery list of parts at this point.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 04:09:42 PM by idhgamer »

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 04:43:34 PM »
I think the RS232 GEN2 is NOT an Netplex printer? I could be wrong.
It uses the same kind of connector plug as the Ithaca right?
Plus, you had Moolah printer settings already set for "Ithaca 850", instead of Netplex printer?
If so, that could explain why the Gen2 wasn't "seen" by the MPU....it needed the pinter settings changed from Ithaca to Netplex.
Patience is the key here as it takes forever for a BB2 to fully boot up.

On the orange wiring pin at the power supply...what was the 8.87 volts for?...AC or DC?
Still need to check that orange wire for continuity.
I wish someone could check the voltage coming out of the power supply on that orange wire fo ya.
We need some help guys! :yes:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline idhgamer

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 05:53:21 PM »
These came from a shop down south after making the bill slots inert. (can't adult in Canada)   I don't have start up know how, although a tech up here said there was a card that could allow a reset?  From browsing here I'm guessing that tech is a no no.

Same pin config on the printer so I tried trading. makes sense of course that they would have a different bios.

Voltage was DC  - 8.7 through the harness leading to the printer connection.   Printer harness was new. Could be just new to me.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 09:31:21 PM »
What printer do each machine have in their software configuration.  You have to open door, push the diagnostic button and look at the setup tab under devices to see what you have selected as printers.  Do you have a TITO board installed?  What is the firmware on your gen2 printer (hold down feed button while you power on machine and it will print a ticket with the required information).  It is possible that you have a bad gen2 printer if you have the correct firmware and still getting errors.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal