New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: My belly light WIRING...on a Bally Game Maker - internal breaks  (Read 2267 times)

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 268
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I just had the weirdest problem. My belly florescent light (Bally Game Maker) would not stay on consistently. I checked the starter, bulb, connectors etc. It kept going off when the the door shut, or at certain points of the door being opened.
Soooooooooooooooo my first thought was the wiring. Long story short, I was right - it was the wiring. It had breaks in two wires. The stock wire was 18 awg solid wire. The only thing I could find in solid wire at home depot was 14. So it's a little stiff.
I did fix my problem but it did it again. I'm sure another wire is breaking.
I'm not an AC person. Is there a stranded type of wire that I could use to rewire this fixture? I'm afraid this wire will eventually do the same thing and break.
And... when I clip the wire from the socket end, I'm leaving an inch or so. I crimped on the replacement but I'm not sure about using crimps for AC.
Should I just solder it and use heat shrink tubing?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:21:50 AM by Ron (r273) »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: My belly light WIRING...on a Bally Game Maker - internal breaks
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
I'm replying to myself...
I'm just going to cut out all the wire, that moves with the belly door,  and replace it with a piece of an inside extension cord and just twist and cap the ends together.
There! Now no one needs to respond.   :propeller:

I wonder why Bally used that type of wire in the first place and not something more flexible?
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
Are we sure the solid wiring is original from the factory in that particular location on the machine, have you seen it used on other similar machines? I'd think that stranded wire would be a better choice for reliability. Maybe that's what Bally did back then and your door has lots of opens & closes over it's life.

As far as I know crimps and wire nuts are fine for ordinary ac wiring. On very large stranded wires like the service cables coming to your house they use compression fasteners sorta look like metal u-joints. And on high current fasteners like an elec cook stove they use special fasteners that are crimped & silver soldered.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
Yes it was very stock looking - nice neat wire ties that were rotted from the heat too!
It was just strange though - at first it almost seemed to be the belly door switch but then the light would go out at different points of closure. I'm thinking this machine may have been in storage for some time too.

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
UGH! Okay I tore out all the wiring I did and the rest of the old stuff too.
Replaced it with nice flexible "former" extension cord. I feel a LOT more comfortable with this set up. It flexes when the belly door is opened and closed. I actually thing Bally should not have used the harness tie-down at the lower left side. I think that put the already too stiff wires into the same exact flex pattern which lead to the internal breaks.
And... it works too!
Now for the non working change light dilemma...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal